Tactics

kurtsimonw

54 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd like to see Jedinak and tshibola in the middle with McCormack just infront of them. Then a front 3 of ayew, kodjia and Adomah. 

Are you playing wide there or narrow? I'd rather see Kodjia as part of a 2-man strike force I think - but not sure where that leaves other players. Maybe Kodjia and Ayew up top, McCormack in behind then a 3-man central mid. 

• Like 1

Our problem first half was that we had no width, this is why the ball was getting passed around at the back and causing so many problems. As a team we just aren't good enough to play with wing backs, they expose our weak defence too much.

We need to be playing a formation where we can pack out the midfield which in most games is currently non existent.

This will work, as we saw last night:

Gollini

Bacuna Elphick Chester Amavi

Jedinak

Westwood      Tshibola

Ayew          Kodjia       Grealish

You can then replace Ayew with Adomah, Grealish with McCormack and Kodjia with Gestede depending on form/injuries etc.

Tshibola is the driving force in that midfield so without him we need to drop a player like McCormack in there who can pick up a ball and get it forward/take on players.            

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd be tempted to play:                

Gollini

Bacuna Chester Baker Amavi           

Tshibola              Jedinak

McCormack

Adomah                          Ayew

Kodjia       

We have a winner.

when i watch match yesterday, I notice what our style suit us is passing around also pace for counter attack, so we need selection like these line-up to fix our style and system

we need sign 3 players in january to more strenght our style and push to promotion. (RB - more like Amavi but right foot and CM - more like Raul Meireles or Joe Allen type, and CH who is quick Centre-half to sweeper type while baker and (chester or tommy) to header.

-------------------------------Gollini------------------------
De Leat---Chester/Tommy-----Baker-----Amavi
------------------Tshobla----------Jerd---------------
-Abomah--------------Grealish----------------Ayew
------------------------Kodija------------------------

---------------------------------Gollini------------------------
De Leat---Chester/Tommy-----Baker-----Amavi
-----Tshobla------New CM/Grealish/Mcommack-----Jerd------
--------Abomah-------Kodija------------Ayew-----

--------------------------Gollini------------------------

--------Chester-------Tommy-----Baker-------- (swap one with new CH)
De Leat------Tshobla-----New CM-----Jerd----Amavi
-------Abomah-----------Kodija----------Ayew---------

as we good in fast attack and pressure them in their box like we did in 45 mins, if they not work so put Gestede for extra pressure in box (Only work if we push them into their box).

these tactical are very work well in match which we success in latest.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd be tempted to play:                

Gollini

Tshibola              Jedinak

McCormack

Adomah                          Ayew

Kodjia       

This is my preferred 11 maybe inter changing McCormack with a midfielder depending on opposition but for most games we should just play our strongest 11 and let them worry about us. 

Once again yesterday it was painfully obvious that our players had no idea what to do when we had the ball in attack.

The number of failed overlaps, missed runs, under & over hit passes, slowing down tempo in possession and general misunderstandings was as bad as ever.

Now if this is because Di Matteo is clueless about how he want's the team to play, or if the players are not smart/skilled enough to carry out Di Matteo's tactics I don't know.

Either way it's not good.

On 9/18/2016 at 20:52, jackbauer24 said:

Random tactical note but it bugs me and the people who sit round me, especially in light of the constant pressure we face in the last ten minutes of games; why are we the only team that doesn't have a man standing further up the pitch when defending a corner etc?

Under at least three seperate managers when ever we are defending a corner, every single player is in or around the box which means every time it's cleared, it comes straight back in. There is no outlet, no person to hold it up, or even potentially begin a counter attack. Also means the opposition can afford to commit even more men forward.

Every other team does it, Premier League or Championship. Means we have to have more players defending than attacking our corners and it is often a case that any clearances from our historically poor delivery finds an opposition player on the half way line ready to attack us.

Basics.

I'm not sure about all the talk about these formations.....surely the formation is dynamic not static....it constantly changes during a game.

wasn't it Derek Dougan who once said asked about formations I like 1-10 .......thats all it is isn't it.

ok so a bit flippant....but I think its as important to get all your players playing.....(aggressive and more direct would be nifty)

when was the last time we seen a player pulled off for other than injury during a game....very rare, its either half time or not at all.....just smacks of pussy footing.

Ok RDM did it on Saturday and look at the reaction.

Edited by TRO

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 09:04, BigAl said:

Don't have the players to play 3 at the back

Agreed and hopefully the manager has realised this too. I never want to see us play 3 CB's again unless we sign new CB's in January which I don't think we will. 

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Still only two in the blummin middle tonight (and only one that can run) - well, I guess it's his sword to live or die by. We'll overpower some teams with 4-2-4, but we'll lose more than we should to. It's like being managed by Ossie Ardiles.

I look at today's as a 442 rather than 424

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I look at today's as a 442 rather than 424

Adomah is a winger, Grealish too I'm happy enough with that - the thing is, in a five man midfield you might find two wingers, but no one really players with wingers in a four nowadays, let alone with one central midfielder as immobile as Jedinak.

I think Jedinak is only really useful in a five, I also think Grealish is only really useful in a five or in front of a four behind a striker - I don't think we've got the personnel for 4-4-2 - there's a gaping whole in the middle of the park which is an awful lot for Tshibola to cover alone. That said, we might well just overpower teams at this level, but it's a gamble and we've got the money to set up to play with a lot more control of games at this level.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gollini

Gardner Jedinak Tish

Adomah Kodjia Ayew

Steer, Elphick, Richards, Westwood, Grealish, McCormack, Gestede

Thats how I'd line up now. I'd be very confident on winning most games with that team no substitute options. 

50 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Gollini

Gardner Jedinak Tish

Adomah Kodjia Ayew

Steer, Elphick, Richards, Westwood, Grealish, McCormack, Gestede

Thats how I'd line up now. I'd be very confident on winning most games with that team no substitute options. 

Yep, that's a good line up. It is a shame to leave out McCormack from the starting line up, but I agree as I can't see how he fits in. Our formation is like tissue paper; too much pressure in one place and it tears. RMC is a hell of a sub to be able to bring on though!

I would definitely not move Bacuna to RB. He has played excellently the last two games in midfield. He seems to have a new found energy and has been very much part of Bruce's 2nd half high pressing strategy. I would definitely not bring Grealish back for the moment. His work rate is rubbish. We have played and drawn with a number of crap sides this season primarily, not because of lower skills, but because their work rates are higher. We need to keep doing the same for now. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

I would still not discard Gestede too quickly.

He has a tendency to soften up the opposition at the back.....even if its part game, not full game.

when their heads/legs have dropped/gone, bring more technical guys on.

• 1 month later...
Â