International Football General Chat

villa4europe

On 10/11/2020 at 18:15, VillaChris said:

US gives me same feeling as Belgium did a decade ago.

Pulisic, Dest,McKennie Tyler Adams and Gio Reyna all regulars at some of the top clubs in europe already and you've got likes of Richards and De La Fuente as youths getting on the bench regularly. Musah was pretty good v Real Madrid at the weekend and will be starting regularly for Valencia although England still tracking him.

Need to hope a decent CB option comes up soon but apart from that it's very promising in most other areas. Of course US had good teams in the past but their best outfield players then like Donovan and Bradley weren't that bothered about playing in europe despite being good enough.

Can certainly see thme getting to last 8 of the world cup they're co hosting given their squad will be good age by then and that will push game on further as happened after 1994.

I really liked the look of a McKennie—Adams—Musah midfield. Despite it being the first time any of them played together in midfield (in the previous match McKennie and Adams played in together, Berhalter was still experimenting with Adams as a sort of inverted right back) and no preparation time, they looked cohesive as a unit. If Musah decides to stick with the USA, I can see that trio being the basis for the American midfield for more than a decade to come. If not, I'd expect Brenden Aaronson at RB Strasbourg to grow into the role (and I expect him to be an asset moving forward regardless for his creativity and ability to break lines in the final third).

As for the attack, obviously it was a loss not having Christian Pulisic and Josh Sargent available (although I think it's gotten to the point where any US manager should have a solid contingency plan for when Pulisic isn't available), I'm not sure what Berhalter was playing at with Lletget as a false nine. It all seemed too clever by half, especially considering the fact that, even without Josh Sargent, he had actual center forwards available. Hopefully, that'll be the last time anyone sees that experiment.

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

One of the best days of my life.  I was 17 and had just done my first year at college and had the enormous circle of friends you tend to have at that age.  Some girl I knew was having her 21st birthday party on the day of the game and invited everybody, it was in an enormous garden at a local business and shitloads of people and beer were there, everybody knew everybody and there were a couple of really gobby Scotland fans in attendance.   If I close my eyes and think back I can still smell the vomit.  

I was 14 and watched it at my friends house, a big garden and plenty of soft drinks and snacks - yeah, not quite the same, but we had a mini football tournament as well, brilliant! the days when I loved football.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Probably be an empty stadium 

Don't say that, I've got a ticket for the England v Scotland game with 3 pals. 

Had the ticket ages... it was just England vs TBA when I purchased it but delighted its Scotland. Just hope we can be in grounds by then. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Genie said:

I watched the extra time and pens in the Scotland game and one thing really concerned me. Several of the Scotland players with a moustache.

This guy looks like he got lost on the way to the darts

9-E75-A371-F493-4621-84-FD-C393103903-F9

He looks like the brother of the main guy in Peaky Blinders, the one who can't do the accent

• Haha 1

Erik Hamrén has resigned as Iceland manager after failing to qualify for the (possibly) upcoming Euro's and the defeat against Hungary.

He's an absolute charlatan but tbf he did better than I thought he would with Iceland.

Statistiken talar för Sverige - Sydsvenskan

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sne said:

Erik Hamrén has resigned as Iceland manager after failing to qualify for the (possibly) upcoming Euro's and the defeat against Hungary.

He's an absolute charlatan but tbf he did better than I thought he would with Iceland.

Statistiken talar för Sverige - Sydsvenskan

did he really? he has a 31 percent win ratio and only made the play-offs because they were the only Nations League team in Group A not to qualify and 4 of his 7 wins came against Andorra and Moldova.

Iceland have overachieved and would eventually be caught up but should not have been this quick

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

did he really? he has a 31 percent win ratio and only made the play-offs because they were the only Nations League team in Group A not to qualify and 4 of his 7 wins came against Andorra and Moldova.

Iceland have overachieved and would eventually be caught up but should not have been this quick

Still better than I thought he would do :D 

They were a bit unlucky in the normal qualifiers, took 4 points off Turkey but Turkey massively raising their game against France and getting 4 points was the difference. Turkey also got 90th minute winners at home to Albania and Andorra.

Think problem for Iceland and Northern Ireland is they've been very consistant last 5 years but it's small populations and pool of players (Iceland had a 38 year old CB starting the other day) and now many of them will retire. Glyfi Sigurdsson in my head is permanently a 25 year old prospect and even he's 31 now.:lol:

Next manager will do very well to have them in contention for 2022 world cup I think.

• Like 1

National teams should just refuse to turn up as a f*** off to UEFA.

Traveling around the world in the middle of a pandemic that has just entered it's second wave is utter madness and asking for trouble.

Edited by villalad21

Â