International Football General Chat

villa4europe

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Looking down the ranks, you have to say England really are producing an array of attacking talent now, especially in the wide positions. Added to those already in the first team, most of whom are still young, and they could be such a good team. Seem to lack strong defence though. And of course need better managers in charge. But a few years back The FA said about winning 2022 World Cup, that may be a little early, but the talent is there to challenge the next few years. 

England have some incredible talent in the attacking wide positions coming through, more players than they can get into the starting 11. This is in addition to a genuine world class number 9 in Harry Kane. Centre mid is reasonable. Defence and goalkeeper is weak and will be the undoing. Also, manager weak too.

• Like 1

When fit England has some really good young up an coming wide defenders in TAA, Chilwell, Saka, James, Wan-Bissaka, Lamptey and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

GK and CB they are some way from the worlds best thou.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

When fit England has some really good young up an coming wide defenders in TAA, Chilwell, Saka, James, Wan-Bissaka, Lamptey and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

GK and CB they are some way from the worlds best thou.

Can any of them actually defend though? Wan Bissaka is the only one i would call a defender but has been poor at times for United and is also poor in attack

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Can any of them actually defend though? Wan Bissaka is the only one i would call a defender but has been poor at times for United and is also poor in attack

Most of them are still young, and with good coaching at club level they should improve that aspect of the game. And I still think it's pretty much as good a group as any nation out there has.

And tbh if England continue with 3 at the back and 2 sitting CM's they should be able to focus mostly on attacking. But that's before factoring in Southgate I guess.

International football in the middle of a global pandemic is a joke and shows how those at the top only think about money.

Entire Norwegian team placed in quarantine because a player tested positive, so they have to play their match today in Austria with a complete B team. Maybe even a C team if you consider that the second XI are also out and thirteen of the 18 in the matchday squad are yet to receive a cap. This is already after their previous matches during this window were cancelled.

Why is this important? Well, if they beat Austria, then they're in pole position to get promoted to League A. Lose, and they finish 2nd in the group. OK, the Nations League isn't that important, but the chance to play top teams next go around is probably of great interest to the Norwegians.

I understand that of course sometimes players get injured...maybe bad luck would cause Haaland, Odegaard, etc. to miss the match through injury, but everyone is on the same playing field with respect to luck and injuries. Asking, well forcing, a team to play a "crucial game" when the government will not allow the team to travel is not fair and shows how much of a farce this entire situation is and makes a mockery of international football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Most of them are still young, and with good coaching at club level they should improve that aspect of the game. And I still think it's pretty much as good a group as any nation out there has.

And tbh if England continue with 3 at the back and 2 sitting CM's they should be able to focus mostly on attacking. But that's before factoring in Southgate I guess.

True but this is not just an English thing but its worrying that managers are consistently moving midfielders into full back. 

Sorry missed the early question on other page about current best international manager.

Would say Oscar Tabarez of Uruguay.

When he took over in 2007 Uruguay had played in just one world cup since the 80s. Since they've qualified for each one, made last 16 twice and SFs in 2010. Also won Copa America in 2011.

He also implemented direct co-ordination across all youth sides to play same style as national team when he took over so that means they can keep producing players to replace likes of Godin, Suarez and Cavani who are all mid 30s now.

Considering Uruguay population is not even 3.5m is there any other nation that consistantly produces as many world class players as them with that population?

Tabarez still going strong at 73 despite health issues, had a good club career managing Boca Juniors and AC Milan although it didn't work out too well for him there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Giroud is 8 goals off being Frances record all time scorer, he's already 2nd on 44, Henry is top with 51

Pretty mad when you think of who he is ahead of 

He also didn't get his first cap until he was 25.

Think Giroud is like James Milner, wider football public have come to respect his ability and mentality as the years have gone by. He was always seen as pretty average at Arsenal despite scoring good number most seasons and was still getting stick for not scoring in last World cup even though his presence gave Mbappe more space to run into.

Norway handed a 3-0 loss by UEFA for the game they were not allowed to travel to by the Norwegian CDC.

They are facing Austria tonight and have sent a C-team as most of their regular players are unavailable.

3 hours ago, a-k said:

International football in the middle of a global pandemic is a joke and shows how those at the top only think about money.

Entire Norwegian team placed in quarantine because a player tested positive, so they have to play their match today in Austria with a complete B team. Maybe even a C team if you consider that the second XI are also out and thirteen of the 18 in the matchday squad are yet to receive a cap. This is already after their previous matches during this window were cancelled.

Why is this important? Well, if they beat Austria, then they're in pole position to get promoted to League A. Lose, and they finish 2nd in the group. OK, the Nations League isn't that important, but the chance to play top teams next go around is probably of great interest to the Norwegians.

I understand that of course sometimes players get injured...maybe bad luck would cause Haaland, Odegaard, etc. to miss the match through injury, but everyone is on the same playing field with respect to luck and injuries. Asking, well forcing, a team to play a "crucial game" when the government will not allow the team to travel is not fair and shows how much of a farce this entire situation is and makes a mockery of international football.

Now UEFA awarded Romania a 3-0 win over Norway, because the Norwegian government (not the players or the Norwegian FA) did not allow the team to travel. Absolute shambles.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not even bothered. Our national side will forever be shite as long they hire the same anti-football managers they always do. This Swedish moron is Steve Bruce mk2.

He really isn't :D  He's defensive and cautious but also extremely tactically driven and puts and extreme attention to details so not at all like Bruce.

Fwiw I think he's the wrong fit for the team and players you have now and at 72 y.o he's past it. But for small nations with limited squads he's as good as you could have hoped for.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Suspect they did. Our FA is completely incompetent.

You think they will get Solbakken in next or do they have someone else lined up?

I've no idea who I'd like as Sweden manager but just like with Lagerbäck for you I don't think the one we have now in Andersson is suited to the young players coming through. The failed generation transition means we still have Lustig, Larsson, Berg, Svensson and possibly Granqvist being regular starters even thou they were all supposed to retire after the Euro's that didn't happen this summer.

Edited by sne
Wrong name.

Â