International Football General Chat

villa4europe

15 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Yup, I would say there is a world class French number 9 (Benzema), but they don't pick him! 

He's an absolute prick though 

• Like 2

San Marino went 2 games unbeaten for the first time in their history in the last week

The problem with the nations league is that its aim is to help improve those at the bottom rather than the top, for those at the top I still think it's a way fro UEFA to pocket some of the money those nations were making on friendlies 

England might think its a waste of time but when the vote to scrap it comes around England have 1 vote and San Marino have 1 vote

It won't get scrapped 

• Like 2

The main reason is that top teams like England, Germany, France and so on won't have to play any boring, less marketable games against smaller and poorer nations.

It's only about money. 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

San Marino went 2 games unbeaten for the first time in their history in the last week

The problem with the nations league is that its aim is to help improve those at the bottom rather than the top, for those at the top I still think it's a way fro UEFA to pocket some of the money those nations were making on friendlies 

England might think its a waste of time but when the vote to scrap it comes around England have 1 vote and San Marino have 1 vote

It won't get scrapped 

The friendlies it replaced were more boring. It`s silly having international matches during a pandemic but I think the Nations League was a fairly positive development. The only other thing to do would be to scrap internationals all together except for the major tournaments.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The friendlies it replaced were more boring. It`s silly having international matches during a pandemic but I think the Nations League was a fairly positive development. The only other thing to do would be to scrap internationals all together except for the major tournaments.  

That's the other thing that we as England might not see I think 

the international breaks are based around the qualifiers for various tournaments around the world, we have finished our qualifiers so this November and October International breaks we would have had meaningless friendlies, our South american and African players however have had world cup and ACoN qualifiers so UEFA countries have to have a break and do something too

There will always be the friendly problem because of the Fifa breaks and all the various confederations doing their qualifiers at different times 

54 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Agreed, 2 Nations league games are preferable to 2 friendlies. I think the problem is that instead of no longer playing friendlies we're just shoe horning them in as well. We now play 2 nations league games and a friendly over the break instead of just 2 friendlies.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Agreed, 2 Nations league games are preferable to 2 friendlies. I think the problem is that instead of no longer playing friendlies we're just shoe horning them in as well. We now play 2 nations league games and a friendly over the break instead of just 2 friendlies.

Yes that is super frustrating. Apparently the friendlies were the ones arranged to be part of the build up to Euro 2021. Euro 2021 was obviously postponed but the friendlies were still contractually obliged to be fulfilled. 

4 hours ago, sne said:

The main reason is that top teams like England, Germany, France and so on won't have to play any boring, less marketable games against smaller and poorer nations.

It's only about money. 

They'll still have those games in the next qualifiers. A San Marino, Andorra, Faroes (although they're not too bad now) will be in England's group.

If Nations league really was as brilliant as it was spun then you'd just use it as the system to qualify but then you'd have likes of Germany missing out (they changed rules to stop them getting relegated to B league).

You could also just have two international breaks in a season rather than the four now so more spaced out domestic programme and rest and less travelling for the players. Finish the season earlier and then you have proper month to play as many friendlies as you want before the major tournament starts.

September and November international breaks should be scrapped imo. O.k with October as by then you've played 10 league games so decent chunk of season and break in March gives build up to run in from first weekend of April.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's the other thing that we as England might not see I think 

the international breaks are based around the qualifiers for various tournaments around the world, we have finished our qualifiers so this November and October International breaks we would have had meaningless friendlies, our South american and African players however have had world cup and ACoN qualifiers so UEFA countries have to have a break and do something too

There will always be the friendly problem because of the Fifa breaks and all the various confederations doing their qualifiers at different times 

That's a good point although Concacaf and Asia groups have been suspended still and think they've slimmed down Concacaf so now USA, Mexico, Costa Rica all just go through to the final group e.g. the Hex rather than have to play another one just to qualify for it.

Just been looking at Commebol qualifying and given they have to fit in another 16 games over next 18 months there's two games scheduled in for January 2022. No idea how that's going to work as that isn't going to be an international break as things stand.

Reminds me of when Australia used to play their world cup play offs on non international dates and we used to lose Bosnich for 2-3 games. Leeds similar with Kewell and Viduka so at least now all teams play in same two week period.

Ze germans really don't give a **** about the NL, should have been relegated last time, this time they've played 6, won 2 drawn 3 lost 1

Get a result tonight and they win the group and they've played an awful back 4

Torres got a hattrick from RW for Spain, got subbed off, not for traore so he's looking like 3rd choice for them, Spain look strong on paper, bit of depth about them too, still need a better striker though (after winning 6-0...)

Anyone have a clue how Joachim Low is still in a job? Saw on another forum apparently Hansi Flick left coaching staff after 2014 world cup win. Didn't think Germany were that great in euro 2016 despite getting to SF (Italy should've knocked them out in the penalty shoot out) and given how Bayern have played since he became manager he looks very much like the brains of the operation.

Looking down the ranks, you have to say England really are producing an array of attacking talent now, especially in the wide positions. Added to those already in the first team, most of whom are still young, and they could be such a good team. Seem to lack strong defence though. And of course need better managers in charge. But a few years back The FA said about winning 2022 World Cup, that may be a little early, but the talent is there to challenge the next few years. 

• Like 1

Â