International Football General Chat

villa4europe

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Knowing FIFA they'll award a world cup to Saudi Arabia soon enough. 

Maybe China?

Its definitely coming, I think with Qatar hosting they're out of it for 2030 but in the next 20 years you'd have to imagine if China go for it they'll get it 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its definitely coming, I think with Qatar hosting they're out of it for 2030 but in the next 20 years you'd have to imagine if China go for it they'll get it 

Surprised India haven't made a big push given they're finally got the league up and running. Can see them getting it in next 30 years aswell.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Have i missed a thread about the UK Government going to back a 2030 world cup bid? 

with Ireland

Is a lot of unhappy people in Ireland about this idea as it just seems a pipedream and a waste of money as 2030 has been pencilled in for South America as a centenary tournament

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

with Ireland

Is a lot of unhappy people in Ireland about this idea as it just seems a pipedream and a waste of money as 2030 has been pencilled in for South America as a centenary tournament

Yeah, it just seems obvious that the combined Argentina-Uruguay bid makes more sense for sentimental purposes. We didn't even want to join the World Cup in 1930 IIRC.

Bilbao, Dublin, Glasgow risk being cut from Euros hosting

With 100 days until the rescheduled European Championship, UEFA is considering cutting three cities from its list of 12 host venues across the continent.

Bilbao, Dublin and Glasgow are at risk of being dropped over the lack of guarantees about the number of fans that could be allowed into stadiums by June, people with knowledge of the tournament planning told The Associated Press on Wednesday. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the situation ahead of a looming deadline for UEFA to receive the plans from host countries.

UEFA wants the hosting plan settled within weeks after being forced to postpone its showpiece tournament last year due to the pandemic. The governing body would like stadiums to have at least half of the seats filled — despite much of Europe still playing games in empty venues due to ongoing coronavirus restrictions. UEFA is willing to take games away from cities that cannot guarantee a significant number of spectators based on an expected easing up of the pandemic by June.

Although Britain has had Europe’s deadliest outbreak, its vaccination program is the fastest in Europe which has raised UEFA’s confidence in London’s staging of seven games at Wembley Stadium, including the semifinals and final in July.

The British government has plans for up to 10,000 fans to return to stadiums from May but more seats could be filled within weeks, dependent on trials of coronavirus testing for fans and plans to lift many social contact restrictions from June 21. But that only applies to England, with Scottish authorities adopting a more cautious path out of lockdown and offering no indication when fans could be allowed back into sports venues.

“We’ll see whether or not it’s possible at any point along that road for fans to actually be present to witness (the Euros),” Scottish Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said Wednesday.

But that uncertainty in Scotland, whose leader Nicola Sturgeon is mired in a political crisis, has left UEFA weighing the option of stripping Hampden Park in Glasgow of its four matches. The three games in the group stage and the last-16 encounter could move south of the border to England in a blow to the Scots after qualifying for their first men’s tournament since the 1998 World Cup.

UEFA could use another London location, with the country’s newest large venue — the 62,000-capacity home of Tottenham — an option. Stadiums in Manchester or Liverpool would also be considered to spread the additional games, especially if UEFA decides to shift the four games slated for Dublin’s 51,700-capacity Aviva Stadium across the Irish Sea to England.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-international-soccer-sports-europe-dublin-coronavirus-pandemic-15f4f23d4b6afdeece6889ae15ef1c99

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, it just seems obvious that the combined Argentina-Uruguay bid makes more sense for sentimental purposes. We didn't even want to join the World Cup in 1930 IIRC.

fox tv GIF by Last Man Standing

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Jogi Low will quit Germany after the Euros, I wonder will it be a good get out for Klopp at Liverpool

im sure me and you have talked about this before, it seems like an obvious fit for der manschaft but for him not so much, i remember you (or someone else) making the point that he seems the type who wants the day to day out there with his boys, living it, getting them to buy in to him and as such the international breaks might not appeal to him and i agree with that, his character seems more suited to club football

them announcing low will quit after the euros is a weird one though, its near impossible to go out in the groups but they're in a tough one with france and portugal (and hungary) they'll be even flatter than they already were now

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im sure me and you have talked about this before, it seems like an obvious fit for der manschaft but for him not so much, i remember you (or someone else) making the point that he seems the type who wants the day to day out there with his boys, living it, getting them to buy in to him and as such the international breaks might not appeal to him and i agree with that, his character seems more suited to club football

them announcing low will quit after the euros is a weird one though, its near impossible to go out in the groups but they're in a tough one with france and portugal (and hungary) they'll be even flatter than they already were now

I agree about Klopps persona but I think he probably needs a break from the day to day as he got burned out at Dortmund plus his family issues. Its also not a long journey to World Cup in Qatar I think its less than 18 months from the Euros to the World Cup so he might be tempted for a short contract

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Squad has been announced, no Bellingham, saka or foden but Greenwood is in 

Would be surprised if Bellingham made the senior squad 

wasnt the squad announced 3 days ago 

Bellingham, rice, Henderson, Winks, ward prowse, Mount, phillips then foden, grealish, maddison, rashford, sancho, sterling then outsiders like Barnes 

It should be 23 man squad 3 strikers, 3 GKs, 5 at the back so 10 (!) defenders and wing backs leaves 7 for midfield (maybe 8 or 9 with 1 less striker and 1 less defender) 

Bellingham in there instead of another CB I can agree with but at the expense of someone like maddison that i can't 

As always the main thing is just drop the **** 5 defenders! 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Dortmund might be blocking Bellingham call up, as don’t want him to quarantine for 14 days after. 

Its harsh but fair in current climate, we blocked players before the games were called off

• Like 1

Lingard and Bamford are getting England call ups this week, its almost like Southgate calls up players based on Fantasy Premier League never mind his Sam Johnstone potential call up as well.

Â