International Football General Chat

villa4europe

Yeah I think failure is harsh.

No doubt he didn't live up to the promise he showed at Euro 2004. I'll shamelessly admit I thought we had one of the best players in the world on our hands at that point.

But I think he is generally overcriticised, in typically English fashion. He's been a very very good striker for England, one of the best ever. Just never quite managed to have the impact on the biggest stage that we all desired.

Like others, I think retirement is best for all parties. Takes the pressure to play him away, and stops the discussion that comes with it in every game.

• Like 4

On 8/22/2017 at 19:24, Xela said:

The England manager has been cleared twice of any wrongdoing. Once by the FA and once by an independent review led by a QC.

You can't keep calling for reviews until you get the result you want. 

I read the full article in the Guardian and apparently the independant inquiry didn't even interview the unnamed player who made of the accusations against Mark Sampson.

Edited by VillaChris

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think failure is harsh.

No doubt he didn't live up to the promise he showed at Euro 2004. I'll shamelessly admit I thought we had one of the best players in the world on our hands at that point.

But I think he is generally overcriticised, in typically English fashion. He's been a very very good striker for England, one of the best ever. Just never quite managed to have the impact on the biggest stage that we all desired.

Like others, I think retirement is best for all parties. Takes the pressure to play him away, and stops the discussion that comes with it in every game.

Over-criticised for sure, but also I think he under-achieved for his country. I think Lineker and Shearer were a notch above Rooney for England, and probably Michael Owen was too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Over-criticised for sure, but also I think he under-achieved for his country. I think Lineker and Shearer were a notch above Rooney for England, and probably Michael Owen was too.

I'm not sure I agree with that. 

Lineker, fair enough. He delivered on the biggest stage.

The other two, I'm not so sure.

Some minor revisionism from Lineker saying Rooney was unfortunate to be the only world class English player for the majority of his international career.

Whether or not they're "world class", I'd say that, overall, the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Cole were all on a par with him regarding England duties.

Sick of the bs about him. Great club player and looked like he was going to be a world beater at 18 but he was a major letdown in all the finals since 2004. I'd rate David Platt higher than him. He produced it when it mattered. And at least Shearer had 96

Edited by PaulC

england squad - 

Joe Hart (West Ham United (on-loan from Manchester City)), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham United), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), John Stones (Manchester City), Michael Keane (Everton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford), Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Jermain Defoe (AFC Bournemouth), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool)

28 players names, not sure when that changed, 4 keepers seems pointless, cant really complain about the likes of welbeck making the squad anymore cos i honestly dont know if he's even playing for arsenal, would moan about chalobah but southgate says its because of his U21s performances (the argument that he shouldnt make the U21 team seeing as he played so little last year) and its only malta and with the same old shit like phil jones getting called up we do need to try the likes of maguire and keane

Sound cracking fixtures around this weekend that will make or break hopes in making the world cup, probably the most exciting international weekend for a while.

Japan-Australia (11.35am). Winner of game goes to Russia, loser might well have to go into play offs as Japan have to go to Saudi Arabia last game.

Uruguay-Argentina (midnight)- Much of the whole week. Sampaoli's debut, Mess-Dybala-Icardi expected as the front trio (rest of side is pretty mediocre). Suarez wasn't in the original Uruguay squad but trained yesterday and has been declared fit. Loser will probably have to start preparing for the play offs (it is a bye though as it's New Zealand over two legs).

France-Holland (Fri)- Holland pretty much out of contention if they lose. France need to win though as Sweden are top. Indeed if Sweden win their final 4 games France will have to go into the play offs which would be extraordinary considering their talent.

Spain-Italy (ITV 4 Saturday) Winner wins the group. Another will have to go into the play offs.

Who are England playing again?

Syria in a play off position for the world cup with one game to go, would be an amazing story that.

Even a chance they could go through automatically although unlikely as they'd have to win in Iran which is near impossible for Asian teams.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Witsel just got sent off against Gibraltor when 5-0 up. Why is he even still playing for Belgium?

What a word removed.

He scored a beauty though

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

France looked really good

or holland looked utter shite

should be France or ze Germans next summer with maybe Portugal as outsiders depending on how their team shapes up

Brazil are easily favourites at the moment

• Like 1

Â