International Football General Chat

villa4europe

On 7/16/2017 at 21:23, Genie said:

I'm watching star sixes now on sky sports, Denmark just beat Brazil 4-2, incredibly entertaining. There is no midfield, just defence versus attack all at close quarters. 

France versus Denmark final coming up.

Bit like us under Di Matteo then?

Andre Blake of Jamaica is having a blinding gold cup. GK for Philadelphia union. Def can see him making a move after these performances. 

Also been impressed with Jordan Morris of the states. Think his game would be suited to England. 

The #11 for Mexico also had a very good tournament. 

7 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Showing absolute equality, while watching England women tonight. I'm tutting and moaning, just like I do when I watch the men's team.

England were dreadful for the first 30 minutes, completely gave the initiative to Holland.

Picked up since then, would think they can nick a goal from somewhere.

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

England were dreadful for the first 30 minutes, completely gave the initiative to Holland.

Picked up since then, would think they can nick a goal from somewhere.

Good to see that the women are consistent like the men and bottle it when pressure gets on. They have been bloody awful. What shocking defending fir that 2nd goal.

• 3 weeks later...

Charming :(

As well as your complaints about alleged bullying and discrimination by Mark Sampson, your report to the FA included an account of what happened to a mixed-race team-mate (we are going to call her ‘The Player’ as she has asked not to be named) at the China Cup in October 2015. Can you take us through the specifics?

It was a midfielders’ meeting. I was not in that meeting but the player in question has confirmed it and I have records of our conversation on the day the comment was made. We have spoken about it many times – that they were talking about the game, about pressing, when Mark Sampson made an analogy about getting a caution, like a police caution. Mark then addressed her individually and said: ‘You’ve been arrested before, haven’t you? Four times, isn’t it?’ He didn’t say it to anybody else. It was said to her alone, the only mixed-race player in the room. Every other player was white. She confirmed she felt extremely uncomfortable. I believe that question was directed towards her because she’s mixed race. And I also believe he has made comments to me that, again, have been because of race.

Can you elaborate if there is a particular incident you mean?

We were in the hotel before the Germany game [in November 2014]. Everybody was excited. It was a big game. On the wall there was a list of the family and friends who were coming to watch us and I just happened to be next to Mark. He asked me if I had anyone who would be there and I said I had family coming over from Nigeria. ‘Oh,’ he said. ‘Nigeria? Make sure they don’t bring Ebola with them.’

I remember laughing but in a very nervous way. I went back to my room and I was really upset. It might have been easier to take if it was about me alone. Lots of things had been said about me over those two years but this was about my family. I called my mum and she was absolutely disgusted.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/21/eni-aluko-interview-race-difficult-situation#img-1

The England manager has been cleared twice of any wrongdoing. Once by the FA and once by an independent review led by a QC.

You can't keep calling for reviews until you get the result you want. 

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41019789

"Will I be selected? Probably not, because they know I'm a key witness in this thing. You're trying to do the right thing but that shouldn't mean that your England career suffers because of that.

The forward - between clubs following a serious ligament injury

Doesn't even have a club but already making accusations of why she may not get a call up. This whole situation stinks.

• Like 2

Rooney has finally retired from international football.  He will go down as a legend but his failure in major tournaments since 2004 will always be a blight on his career. I'm glad he has retired. Now we can move on with no stars and not have to accommodate Rooney like we did in the euros

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Rooney has finally retired from international football.  He will go down as a legend but his failure in major tournaments since 2004 will always be a blight on his career. I'm glad he has retired. Now we can move on with no stars and not have to accommodate Rooney like we did in the euros

Failure is harsh, he went to at least 2 injured and was having a great season in 2010 before that.

England also been awful in these tournaments. 1 knockout win in 6 tournaments cant be down to him

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Failure is harsh, he went to at least 2 injured and was having a great season in 2010 before that.

England also been awful in these tournaments. 1 knockout win in 6 tournaments cant be down to him

No its not all down to him but he still failed unlike other greats like Bobby Charlton and Paul Gascoigne. 

Fair play to him, it is the right decision for England, himself and Everton.

Thought he would have trotted himself out for a few more years just to get the record, and honestly I wouldn't have blamed him. He seems to have found a new lease of life at Everton he desperately needed, hopefully for his sake the novelty doesn't wear off this time ;)

• Like 2

Â