Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

What are these issues that we are implying but not writing about? It's not like we normally are respectful to players on here.

If there are some issues with him I see it a an employer problem, the employer needs to deal with it and should do it in a professional way. If he needs help, give him the help he needs. 

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Unless no one wants RM - and the only offers forthcoming are loans - and we can reduce our outgoings by £50k pw  on a player who isn't making the first 11. 

Someone will want him at the right price or on loan. Getting his wages off the books is not everything for me. I would want a loan fee that reflects what we will lose on him for letting him go there for a season should someone bid for him next season (say £2-3m) as well as his full wages being met. He might not make the starting line up with us straight away but he does offer us an option off the bench or should injury/suspension strike assuming he has sorted his issues out. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Like who?

There are countless players that have looked poor for us, or have been part of a crap team, and have gone on to do better than we have.

Idrissa Gueye, Marc Albrighton, Matt Lowton, Ciaran Clark, Karim El Ahmadi, Barry Bannan, James Collins, Michael Bradley. To name a few.

Then you've got players who have been deemed not good enough/ surplus for requirements, and yet have then played regularly in a team in the same league as us, in some cases, in a higher league position:

Joe Bennett, Andy Weimann, Ashley Westwood, Daniel Johnson, Jordan Graham, Callum Robinson (okay, he left by choice, so slightly different),  Enda Stevens (he's now at Sheffield United?, so will be playing against us next season)... and going further back in time... Gary Cahill, Peter Crouch, Boaz Myhill.

The opinion wont be unanimous on any of these players, but you'll have seen both positive and negative comments from fans when these players were let go. Much like the comments will be mixed when (if) McCormack goes. I just wouldn't be surprised to see ANY Villa player leave and play much better in a different team. From the players above, I wouldn't say that any of them shone for us, and yet they've all gone on to do fairly well in different teams in the Championship and above.

Edited by Rob182

16 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

What are these issues that we are implying but not writing about? It's not like we normally are respectful to players on here.

If there are some issues with him I see it a an employer problem, the employer needs to deal with it and should do it in a professional way. If he needs help, give him the help he needs. 

Why would you need this info put on a public site? What good would it do anyone?

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

Why would you need this info put on a public site? What good would it do anyone?

He didn't say it would do anyone any good, but he is curious. Just like me.

I've read some terribly disrespectful posts towards players on her over the years, as have we all of we're going to be honest. So no need to take to moral high ground man. It didn't get any vibes that he wanted to slag the player or slabber, he was just curious. Seem like whatever the 'issues' are lots know about them already.

8 hours ago, Nigel said:

It's not as if I demand a medical certificate of anything. Just curious when people are implying things, what it is they mean in a broad sense. I tried to google "McCoremack and issues" etc, and searched on twitter, but all I got what that story from April.

Would be good to know how credible these rumours are and what it is about, otherwise it's kind of difficult to have an oppinion on it. It's also kind of unfair to RMC.  

4 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I tried to google "McCoremack and issues" etc, and searched on twitter, but all I got what that story from April.

You're looking for the wrong bloke mate ;)

I've assumed the suggestion is that Ross McCormack suffers from depression. I'm not sure what the harm is of saying that, NOT talking about any mental health issues tends to be the biggest problem. I also can't see him being seriously effected by me stating this on a public site, if he would even ever decide to look on here.

He's clearly a top player for this division and has proven that over many years. He's not too old, or past it, and frankly I would be expecting Bruce to be doing more to get him into the team and firing. Injuries permitting, we've got 3 strikers at this club who are all more than capable of hitting 29 goals and all play in different set ups, meaning we can adjust the formation and approach to the game and pick the best striker for that approach. 

I think the rumours of him going on loan to Sunderland may have come about to push through the Grabban move from Bournemouth? But he was left out of the tour to Germany. It'll be interesting to see if any rumours continue, if he's in the team or on the bench on Saturday against Watford, I'd put money on him being here for the season. 

His biggest issue was hacking off his manager.  Does is matter if it was mental or physical health?

Not trying to be unsympathetic but if Bruce is looking for people to rely on then surely McCormack is the last name on his list?

1 hour ago, Darth Villa said:

His biggest issue was hacking off his manager.  Does is matter if it was mental or physical health?

Not trying to be unsympathetic but if Bruce is looking for people to rely on then surely McCormack is the last name on his list?

I think in any team you want a few players you can hang your hat on to give you consistent performances. But I think we have them all over the pitch now. There is no doubt in my mind that McCormack is a very talented forward and reads the play fantastically. Fulham effectively hung their survival hopes a couple of years back on him as their scorer and captain and he delivered. 

So while I agree Bruce is looking for people to rely on, he's also talked about as having great man-management. I would expect someone like that to be taking the likes of McCormack, Tshibola and Veretout under his wing and get them performing and playing for the shirt. 

A lot of managers with far less pedigree at this level have made McCormack look like a top striker who deserved a chance in the premier league for several years before we bought him. This is a player that cost a lot of money and the best way of getting that back is by showing he's still capable of regularly finding the net. I think he needs another chance to prove he can do just that. 

2 hours ago, Darth Villa said:

Just speculating here, but if it is mental health related then it does deserve sympathy and understanding, with the club sitting down with him to help him proactively improve his situation. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes one of them. I think for me Collymore is the biggest because £7 mil 20 years ago is like £50 mil now. 

Stan did ok.. had some decent spells.. wasnt worth the money for sure.. but not a flop like RMAC or my personal favourite. Boskoooooooo

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KSV said:

Stan did ok.. had some decent spells.. wasnt worth the money for sure.. but not a flop like RMAC or my personal favourite. Boskoooooooo

What he said @PaulC

Collymore wasn't worth the money but he showed glimpses of his quality, performance vs liverpool and that screamer against athelico madrid in uefa cup. Villa park went berzerk when that went in

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just speculating here, but if it is mental health related then it does deserve sympathy and understanding, with the club sitting down with him to help him proactively improve his situation. 

Just to clarify in my original post, I was attempting to make the point that any medical issues (mental or physical) are somewhat academic (I.e we don't need the details on this forum) given the challenge of getting back to the Premier League facing our club. I think the club is supportive  of the player and agree that's the right thing to do. I just feel Bruce has looked at the need to reduce the squad size, looked again at pre-season performances and decided McCormack can go as he can't rely on him when the chips are down..

Edited by Darth Villa
Typo correction

Â