Sam Allardyce

Xann

At first i thought it was a joke, but some aspects make sence. People knock his old English style of play but isn't that better than trying to turn bums like Jordan Henderson into the next Xavi?

We always seem to want to follow the blueprint of others rather than establish our own identity. 2 years since the world cup and we go into the euros still wondering what formation we are going to play, i suspect that won't happen with Sam. And though he has never had a "big gig" Newcastle aside you would have to say that he has achieved his goals at every job he has had. By all accounts he is a good man manager as well. 

Very good appointment.

Steve Bruce for No2 ?

Just looked at England's qualifying group. I think Allardyce's first task will be to stop the media declaring 'we can win this' six games in to the qualies.

When you think about why a lot of people (myself included ) are not really interested in the International team anymore, the same reasons come up time and time again.

• Players performing differently from how they play at club level.

• Players not looking interested.

• The same players being picked inspite of form.

• Picking players rather than systems

• No plan/identify. 

• Slow and boring football, not like what we see every Saturday up and down the country.

• Playing with fear, having no guts. 

• The managers always seem to be weak "Yes men"

A lot of those are not the sort of things you associate with Big Sam. The more i think about this the more sence it makes. He certainly isn't the best manager in the world, but he might just be the best man for this particular job. 

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wonder who his assistant will be?

Kevin Davies and Nolan to be involved somewhere? 

There was talk of Paul Clement on Talk Sport this morning, not sure if there is anything in it or it's just their normal standard of "reporting"

They speculated he could be offered the job PT, so it would not get in the way of his work in Germany. 

47 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I think this appointment will work out a lot better than most expect. Allardyce will hopefully play a simpler style which suits England a lot more. 

I don't disagree that Allardyce will probably be no worse than pretty much any other manager that could have been chosen, but Roy Hodgson wasn't exactly about tactical intricacies and complicated technical theory.

Delighted with the appointment. As NV says, Allardyce isn't the backward dinosaur that some people assume he is. Always been very forward thinking in terms of preparation. 

Definitely the best person for the job. I am of the belief that the England manager should be English. He has the ability to polish turds, which he will need with this England squad. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I don't disagree that Allardyce will probably be no worse than pretty much any other manager that could have been chosen, but Roy Hodgson wasn't exactly about tactical intricacies and complicated technical theory.

I don't think it'd be a fair comparison though.  Hodgson seemingly had no plan other than to pick the most high profile eleven players.  There's far, far more to Sam than that.

Last 20 minutes against Iceland, I don't think Sam would have finished the game with, what, 5 strikers on the field and no service.  I don't think he'd take that many strikers to begin with, and especially with only one winger in Sterling who can't cross or score goals.  It's easy to call out ifs and buts, so I will, but I think he'd have taken Albrighton or Townsend, I think Vardy's role would've been more clearly defined, and I think we'd have played to Kane's strengths.

I was also hoping Rooney was done after this tournament, but Sam's got a good history of getting a final flourish out of attackers in the twilight of their career so I'm hopeful it might be the case here too.

I fully expect to be quoted on this post in a couple of years time when we lose on penalties in the second round of the World Cup!

• Like 1

fair play to Fa for having balls to appoint him, he is not a typical FA appointment

BUT Big Sam has talked the talk for years about how he was better than Benitez and Wenger and would manage a big club if he was called Allardici so now is his time to put up

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

fair play to Fa for having balls to appoint him, he is not a typical FA appointment

BUT Big Sam has talked the talk for years about how he was better than Benitez and Wenger and would manage a big club if he was called Allardici so now is his time to put up

Whether you think it's a good appointment or not, I fail to see how the FA appointing him took balls. If the FA had balls they'd drop the ridiculous English manager requirement.

Really good appointment and I'm really pleased for him as it is something he has always wanted and now he has the chance. As I said in the other thread he has a habit of getting the best out of the players at his disposal and if he does the same with England he will have done better than most England managers. Good luck to him.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Really good appointment and I'm really pleased for him as it is something he has always wanted and now he has the chance. As I said in the other thread he has a habit of getting the best out of the players at his disposal and if he does the same with England he will have done better than most England managers. Good luck to him.

Good to have a manager with a personality. After Erikson, McLaren, Capello and Hodgson will be good to have an Englishmen who seems to be his own man with his own ideas. 

• Like 1

Â