80s Party!

dAVe80

• 4 months later...

I was just thinking back to how I felt and the world felt around the time this song and video was released. 

It really seems like a different time, how we've felt about our Nations safety over the last 30 years is radically different. 

I don't know what or if I'm trying to say anything but it just feels like that different world from the past is closer again. 

And the music snobs can **** right off. It's a great tune. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was just thinking back to how I felt and the world felt around the time this song and video was released. 

It really seems like a different time, how we've felt about our Nations safety over the last 30 years is radically different. 

I don't know what or if I'm trying to say anything but it just feels like that different world from the past is closer again. 

I remember being so excited and staying up till midnight to watch this video. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

A little bit off topic, one of our supporters from Brownhills who got cut really badly against Juventus in the 1983 European cup tie at VP was the spit of Holly Johnston @sheepyvillian will probably know the bloke I am on about 

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

A little bit off topic, one of our supporters from Brownhills who got cut really badly against Juventus in the 1983 European cup tie at VP was the spit of Holly Johnston @sheepyvillian will probably know the bloke I am on about 

You know what, that incident most definitely rings a bell. I just can't place the name. What I do remember was there were a lot of cockneys of Italian descent. Brought some right numbers that  night. What a Juventus team that was. Boniek, now he could play a bit.

• Like 1

Frankie Goes To Hollywood was the first band I obsessed over. I had been a fan of others before them, but FGTH was the first that I had to buy their music and variations of. Absolutely loved them. Every inch of my walls were covered in posters of them. Then I heard the Ramones and moved on. I have most of not all of my FGTH vinyl away, unsure why but probably for a second I thought I was cooler than them. I wasn't. 

In the last 20 years I have rebought the singles and albums, not every mix but 7s and 12s. I also ended up with 2 copies of their debut album which I played a couple of weeks back. Still love it. 

Fantastic band, loved them. Two Tribes is excellent, not my favourite tune by them but still excellent. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

The weight of expectation lies heavy. 

You clearly don't read the music topics much, the was a whole discussion somewhere about the marketing of the single and the sheer numbers of different mixes on 12"

Nobody was doing as you yet again imagine they would have been.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood was the first band I obsessed over. I had been a fan of others before them, but FGTH was the first that I had to buy their music and variations of. Absolutely loved them. Every inch of my walls were covered in posters of them. Then I heard the Ramones and moved on. I have most of not all of my FGTH vinyl away, unsure why but probably for a second I thought I was cooler than them. I wasn't. 

In the last 20 years I have rebought the singles and albums, not every mix but 7s and 12s. I also ended up with 2 copies of their debut album which I played a couple of weeks back. Still love it. 

Fantastic band, loved them. Two Tribes is excellent, not my favourite tune by them but still excellent. 

Yep, somewhere out the garage are a whole bunch of Frankie 12” singles.

Although I have to say, the raw early version filmed around a boxing ring that used to get fairly regular play on The Tube, was the far superior version. It was sweaty.

There was a weird disco on a Thursday night in one of the working men’s clubs that a few of us used to get to.

One room, all the old boys sipping a Luke warm pint of something grim, then through a door and there’s be about 20 of us dancing to Hi NRG stuff. Surreal.

Years later the video for Utah Saints, Something Good came out and we were convinced this was by someone that must have experienced the Dow Corning Club Thursday Disco.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, somewhere out the garage are a whole bunch of Frankie 12” singles.

Although I have to say, the raw early version filmed around a boxing ring that used to get fairly regular play on The Tube, was the far superior version. It was sweaty.

There was a weird disco on a Thursday night in one of the working men’s clubs that a few of us used to get to.

One room, all the old boys sipping a Luke warm pint of something grim, then through a door and there’s be about 20 of us dancing to Hi NRG stuff. Surreal.

Years later the video for Utah Saints, Something Good came out and we were convinced this was by someone that must have experienced the Dow Corning Club Thursday Disco.

Not sure if this talk will have our music snobs membership revoked. 

• Like 2

I thought FGTH were quite game changing at the time. I always loved the contrast between the incredibly polished production of Relax and its (for the time) subversive, naughty lyrics. 

Good stuff.

Â