80s Party!

dAVe80

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

5th biggest selling single that year  behind Rick Astley at Number 1 , Starship at 2 , T'Pau at 3 and Whitney at 4

I'm beginning to think @Seat68 and @mjmooney could have a point :)

POPULAR popular music is always pretty dire in every decade. 

I bet some of the biggest selling singles in plenty of 70s years don't make for pretty reading. 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Brum's finest Political Post-punkers

If your going for female Birmingham punk rockers my brother went to college with this lot (before they sold out, crashed and burned obviously) 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If your going for female Birmingham punk rockers my brother went to college with this lot (before they sold out, crashed and burned obviously) 

I wasn't because it was post-punk but hey ho, I'll give you this by way of return, the debut single by The Nightingales on Vindaloo, the label run by the bloke singing and who released the veery song you posted. Robert Lloyd, Birmingham legend!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I wasn't because it was post-punk but hey ho, I'll give you this by way of return, the debut single by The Nightingales on Vindaloo, the label run by the bloke singing and who released the veery song you posted. Robert Lloyd, Birmingham legend!

I was going to post that Girls at our best tune, and as for Robert Lloyd, legend is an often used superlative for those that don’t deserve it. He does. 
I like this incarnation. 

• Like 1

And whilst were on Legends from the Midlands, I give you Lawrence in his serious ephemeral phase as Felt (here featuring Elizabeth Fraser of the Cotdeath twins)

Felt at this time also include Martin Duffy later of Primal Scream

And in a roundabout way there used to be a story told amongst the youth way back then that the first thre punks in Brum were Robert Lloyd, Lawrence and Boy George. Robert Lloyd confirmed on Twitter just before Xmas that this indeed is a load of bollocks but hey ho

• Like 1

Â