Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Did I limit it to just the season? No.

Even in recent seasons, I remember moaning to my Dad about how we always concede late goals.

I can't think of a game where we've been behind and come back to win having scored in the 75th minute onwards?

First time posting in here since the game yesterday and I am becoming increasingly concerned by his apparent lack of tactical nous.

When we have looked at our best this season it is when we are on the front foot getting at teams. The way we lined up in the first half yesterday both in terms of formation and our negative approach generally in terms of backing off Newcastle and allowing them space was completely the wrong way to go. 

It seems RDM is still scarred by the late goals we have conceded as since Nottingham Forest equalised we have approached games in a negative manner. Worse still is that if we wanted to become more solid the answer wasn't to play another centre back the answer was to go with three in the middle of the park and play an extra midfielder.

The manager has to start to get things right and quickly. Supporters will back a manager if they can see us having a real go and approaching games in a positive manager but serving up dire, negative crap as we did in the first half yesterday, at this level especially, will not be accepted. 

Averaging a point a game after 9 games is clearly a worry, as is just one win in nine, and I don't imagine will be tolerated by those above the manager for too much longer.

We need wins it is a simple as that. Set up and play like we did in the first half yesterday and we will have no chance of getting them. Set up as we did in the second half, and as we started the season, and really go at teams and we will give ourselves a real chance. We have the players to be doing so much better it is now firmly down to the manager to ensure he gets the best out of them. Now.

To be fair Mark, I have a feeling that De Laet's injury has led to this change of formation at the back. It seems like he has no faith in Bacuna or Hutton to keep it tight down the right side of defence and has therefore gone to three centre backs in order to make us a bit more solid at the back. It's now a case of whether he gives the players time to get used to it or whether he just gambles on a back four being able to keep the door shut. I think we will see more of the back five thing against more dangerous sides and a 433 formation against teams he thinks we can get at. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villarocker said:

To be fair Mark, I have a feeling that De Laet's injury has led to this change of formation at the back. It seems like he has no faith in Bacuna or Hutton to keep it tight down the right side of defence and has therefore gone to three centre backs in order to make us a bit more solid at the back. It's now a case of whether he gives the players time to get used to it or whether he just gambles on a back four being able to keep the door shut. I think we will see more of the back five thing against more dangerous sides and a 433 formation against teams he thinks we can get at. 

Exactly my thoughts too and thought this yesterday.  His lack of trust down the flanks is RDM's worry surely.  Bacuna and Amavi can get forward and cross but have limitations defensively.  Hutton and Cissokho are limited going forward but may offer better protection.  Personally, I would stick with Bacuna and Amavi, but play them in a back four.  Play Jedi and Tish in front of this, then find a forward thinking four and stick with it.  Barring injuries, we need to stop tinkering so much with formations and team selection.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

4-5 games more of this and we don't get promoted. Simple as that.

Not true, as I've said before, the championship flips on its head so quickly it's insane, could go another 15 games like this and still get promoted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hanging by thread after how we played for most of that game. If we don't win our next two I want him out the door. 

Fair enough. I was responding directly to the assertion, nothing more. 

4 points from the next 2 minimum. 

Hopefully he has given up on that 3-5-2 bollocks now and will revert to the attacking formations that suit us, the ones that he implemented. 

If he does win the next 2, what then? Wipe the slate clean?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair enough. I was responding directly to the assertion, nothing more. 

4 points from the next 2. 

Hopefully he has given up on that 3-5-2 bollocks now and will revert to the attacking formations that suit us, the ones that he implemented. 

If he does win the next two, what then? Wipe the slate clean?

Then he buys himself more time. 4 points from the next 2 isn't good enough, it needs to be 6 points. We need to start fielding a side with players in their correct positions, a side with genuine balance, rather than shoehorning players into positions they aren't really equipped for. If we do that then I'm sure we can manage to beat the Barnsley's of this world.

He appears to not have a clue at the moment, the tactics are either kick and rush or throw the kitchen sink, it's really very poor. If he was to be sacked tomorrow then I'd have absolutely no qualms with it based on what I've seen this season.

Still undecided about RDM tbh.I think his signings have been good but his inability to pick the best team on a regular basis and to play with such a lack of pace in midfield is infuriating.

Looking at the teams last night, we have the best forwards in that division.We need a midfield that is able to get the ball to them quicker and more accurately.Tisbury should be the 1st choice in midfield, with probably Jed alongside him.The longer players like Westwood are anywhere near our 1st team indicates to me either poor recruitment or poor management.

RDM toe needs to show more belief, and arrogance.We are one of the 2 best teams in that league, we need to show it.

If yday is the last time we ever see Westwood then at least we are getting there.

58 minutes ago, villarocker said:

If he feels like we all need to swallow our pride and get Richards playing at RB this season. It makes me feel dirty saying it but that is what needs to be done. He should be able to hack at that position at this level. If he can't then that is his career over before he is 30.

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Via the playoffs maybe but not automatically.

Personally, I'd have taken playoffs before the season started and I'd take playoffs now.

We're 7 points off 6th and 4 of our next 6 games are against teams in and around those places (Barnsley, Reading, Wolves, Blues).  I'd consider RDMs position after that run - which ends after Blues. 

• Like 3

For me, RDM has got us attacking and creating chances.

However, the recent switch to 3 at the back is destined to fail. We look all over the shop in that formation so he should stick to four at the back, three in midfield and three up top.

I don't think he has been a disaster as he's managed to change our style of play, whilst integrating a load of new players, however results are what he'll be judged on and they haven't been good enough.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

First time posting in here since the game yesterday and I am becoming increasingly concerned by his apparent lack of tactical nous.

When we have looked at our best this season it is when we are on the front foot getting at teams. The way we lined up in the first half yesterday both in terms of formation and our negative approach generally in terms of backing off Newcastle and allowing them space was completely the wrong way to go. 

It seems RDM is still scarred by the late goals we have conceded as since Nottingham Forest equalised we have approached games in a negative manner. Worse still is that if we wanted to become more solid the answer wasn't to play another centre back the answer was to go with three in the middle of the park and play an extra midfielder.

The manager has to start to get things right and quickly. Supporters will back a manager if they can see us having a real go and approaching games in a positive manager but serving up dire, negative crap as we did in the first half yesterday, at this level especially, will not be accepted. 

Averaging a point a game after 9 games is clearly a worry, as is just one win in nine, and I don't imagine will be tolerated by those above the manager for too much longer.

We need wins it is a simple as that. Set up and play like we did in the first half yesterday and we will have no chance of getting them. Set up as we did in the second half, and as we started the season, and really go at teams and we will give ourselves a real chance. We have the players to be doing so much better it is now firmly down to the manager to ensure he gets the best out of them. Now.

The standing off and lack of marking concerned me.

I was not impressed with Newcastle.....thought we made them better than they were, through allowing them space.

many problems still there.

I don't see RDM with us long term.....I don't think he is the right fit for us......however, don't want to keep changing managers either.

Edited by TRO

Â