Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the plan is now to develop Witton Lane stand first with the Liverpool method of building behind first. I know they said this was impossible with The North Stand, but not necessarily Witton Lane. Then do North Stand afterwards. 

To be fair even the notice of cancellation of Box Park Villa Live said it was still the intention to proceed with it. 

Hopefully we get these big announcements sooner rather than later. 

I had the thought of building over Witton Lane with the road running through a tunnel through the stand. That means acquiring a row or 2 of the houses on the other side of the road but could mean hitting the 55-60k number with the existing North Stand plans.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the plan is now to develop Witton Lane stand first with the Liverpool method of building behind first. I know they said this was impossible with The North Stand, but not necessarily Witton Lane. Then do North Stand afterwards. 

To be fair even the notice of cancellation of Box Park Villa Live said it was still the intention to proceed with it. 

My hunch too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I had the thought of building over Witton Lane with the road running through a tunnel through the stand. That means acquiring a row or 2 of the houses on the other side of the road but could mean hitting the 55-60k number with the existing North Stand plans.

Two problems though.

One is being able to buy up two rows of houses. That would need a CPO which would be extremely hard to get.

Secondly, a road tunnel going through the stand would be pretty bad. Part of the problem with Villa Park is not enough room in the stands for corporate facilities. This tunnel would massively compromise the available space in the new stand. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

A very close friend of mine was at the game last night and stayed in the same hotel as the club. He spent a fair bit of time with some very senior and very recognizable individuals at the club. I won’t name them as I think it’s unfair to do so. 

Key points relevant to this thread are:

- Club is definitely NOT moving from VP. Plan is to stay at VP with significant development planned with big announcements over the next two years.

- Box park space with 3k capacity is definitely happening. 

- Lower Ground and Terrace View were both green lit under Purslow. The comment made was “right idea but in the wrong place”.

I trust the information 100 percent and sharing to hopefully put this thread at ease. 

I don't believe you hahaha 😜

Serious question though, isn't the extra 3k capacity separate to the Boxpark / Warehouse idea?   Or is there 3k extra capacity planned plus 3k capacity for the Warehouse idea?  

The CPO is only hard to get if the mayor/council is not supportive…. I strongly suspect they will have to be as there is no significant development of that stand without a CPO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don't believe you hahaha 😜

Serious question though, isn't the extra 3k capacity separate to the Boxpark / Warehouse idea?   Or is there 3k extra capacity planned plus 3k capacity for the Warehouse idea?  

3k comment was clearly in connection to box park/warehouse. They know they could fill that for every away game. 

Edited by DakotaVilla
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

3k comment was clearly in connection to box park/warehouse. They know they could fill that for every away game. 

Do you or anyone think they'll have the Warehouse/Boxpark up and running for August?  I'd absolutely love that if i could get served alcohol and some food for a couple of hours before the game. 

• Like 1

Redeveloping the Doug Ellis stand makes far more sense if there is any scope to do that at all.  

Purely with the corporate offering in mind- if nothing else. Boxes and open corporate areas etc are more desirable running the length of the pitch rather than tucked behind the goal. Be nice if it freed up the good seats in the Trinity for people who actually want to watch football n'all. 

Always a sickener to see the camera pan there, highlighting the vast empty spaces. Even when the rest of the ground is sold out. 

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I have been saying this too, that if we have that kind of money we can buy the property. And if we can do that we can build behind the existing stand with minimal disruption. I don't know why this idea keeps being rejected given that this is more or less what we did in 1993 to build the current stand and we are genuinely a wealthy club now compared to 1993.

If that is the plan then I cannot wait to see renders!!!

Edited by Captain_Townsend

15 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I don't know why this idea keeps being rejected given that this is more or less what we did in 1993 to build the current stand and we are genuinely a wealthy club now compared to 1993.

In '93 the club got a CPO and they had to also pay to have the road re-routed. As people have pointed out, CPOs are not easily given, and they're obviously unpopular with the residents and owners of the properties, or most of them, anyway.

Of course, but you just never know. That housing stock is quite old and it is right next to a busy stadium. The occupants may well jump at the idea of a good value offer and a chance to live in newer accommodation away from a football stadium. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Of course, but you just never know. That housing stock is quite old and it is right next to a busy stadium. The occupants may well jump at the idea of a good value offer and a chance to live in newer accommodation away from a football stadium. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility 

I would suggest it's quite likely that *some* of them will feel that way, and extremely unlikely that *all* of them will. 

1 hour ago, HolteExile said:

Redeveloping the Doug Ellis stand makes far more sense if there is any scope to do that at all.  

Purely with the corporate offering in mind- if nothing else. Boxes and open corporate areas etc are more desirable running the length of the pitch rather than tucked behind the goal. Be nice if it freed up the good seats in the Trinity for people who actually want to watch football n'all. 

Always a sickener to see the camera pan there, highlighting the vast empty spaces. Even when the rest of the ground is sold out. 

I wonder if they could build a new DE stand without reducing capacity. Like Liverpool's main stand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In '93 the club got a CPO and they had to also pay to have the road re-routed. As people have pointed out, CPOs are not easily given, and they're obviously unpopular with the residents and owners of the properties, or most of them, anyway.

I'd add that additionally, because of the issues around light for the housing behind the stand, that even after the CPO and road re-routing the club was forced to compromise on its design and plans at the last minute, resulting in the peculiarly cramped upper concourses of today's DE stand.

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

It's light that's the problem in terms of building behind the stand, I think we would be able to build behind the existing Lower Ellis if we wanted to, but we'd need to buy more than a couple of rows of housing in order to stop the light restrictions on Yew Tree Road becoming an issue that would restrict our ability to expand.  

If we're doing that, you may as well try to get all of the land rather than just leave an awkward patch of housing tucked between a huge stand, a diverted road and a river/railway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would suggest it's quite likely that *some* of them will feel that way, and extremely unlikely that *all* of them will. 

Well we just don't know. I think we all agree something big is in the works so to me this is the logical step if we aren't moving to a new build.

Have to say, forcing people to sell their homes so Villa can make more ticket monies is not something I could get on board with. If they want to sell then that's a different matter but Villa will have to pay the price the seller wants - whatever that is surely it's less than building a brand new stadium overall. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Have to say, forcing people to sell their homes so Villa can make more ticket monies is not something I could get on board with. If they want to sell then that's a different matter but Villa will have to pay the price the seller wants - whatever that is surely it's less than building a brand new stadium overall. 

That is exactly my point. Those advocating a new build: if we have a billion sloshing around we could buy all those properties at a generous price and still wouldn't come near the cost of a new build.

52 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

That is exactly my point. Those advocating a new build: if we have a billion sloshing around we could buy all those properties at a generous price and still wouldn't come near the cost of a new build.

Say one or more doesn't want to sell at any cost? Or hold a property as a ransom strip , a common practice , and its value is normally worked  as a percentage of the total development?

Could get really messy. We could move the ground across over time, say knock down one stand build the new stand back from the pitch then move the pitch across the season after. 

Anything would take about 5 years and disruptive. My fear is they build more hospitality and sacrifice normal seating, which would also raise the price of these seats, supply and demand. This would maximise our income with minimal outlay and disruption. It's not good for us though,  we need a bigger ground.

Hey tinker, I appreciate that. It is of course the risk.

I am just going off the changes happening at the club through Atairos, the fact that we are falling behind on stadium revenue and the interesting post by Dakota above about what his friend heard. When you look at it,  that would point to Witton Lane coming into the picture for redevelopment. 

Â