Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I know I'll get laughed out the room ( Probably rightfully so )

However, for some reason... The Scum getting a new " Super Stadium " kind of worried me further about getting " left behind ".

I had a nightmare about the parallels between Man United and Man City. 

Us OBS being Man United in the example, becoming complacent, disregarding the " noisy neighbours" ( As we are way too big, established and far ahead ) so viewing them as no threat until it was too late .

Its not irrational. They can be as shit on the pitch as you like but if their off-field game improves and they eat into our potential, it will be a mistake.
I think a few people are massively underestimating the revenue potential of a large modern stadium in Birmingham.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's very unlikely any development will take place around Aston Hall. It's a registered park and garden within which is a Grade I listed building.

A Chris Heck refurb in Claret & Blue? 🤣

It’s very Aston Villa of us to allow others to reap the rewards of taking risks or showing some immense ambition. Quite why we have failed to either expand on what we have or aim to move elsewhere is just insane. We’ll be left behind again. Oh well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, for some reason... The Scum getting a new " Super Stadium " kind of worried me further about getting " left behind ".

I am not worried about SHA but for some time i have been worried that for 100 years Villa Park was always considered one of England's best whereas it has stood still now for almost 25 years and even the likes of Snderland, Everton, West Ham going to have bigger capacity/ better facilities than us. Its why I found the cancellation disconcerting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I had a nightmare about the parallels between Man United and Man City. 

Us OBS being Man United in the example, becoming complacent, disregarding the " noisy neighbours" ( As we are way too big, established and far ahead ) so viewing them as no threat until it was too late .

I understand where you are coming from, but that Wagner bloke doesn't seem too clued up about the sporting side of the game. I was watching a short clip where Wagner is talking about competing with "Apple" & "Disney", he also says he is not competing against a rival club in the City. He was quite dismissive of football, which surprised me. Objectively this development plan is good for the City/region as a whole, perhaps will bring our rivalry to a larger audience that will benefit both clubs?

Also the super stadium could be the Ricoh mk2 or Darlington's football stadium. The game has chewed up and swallowed a lot of big ambitions in the past. No certainties.

I think our owners are leading with the "sport". We are currently in the process of crafting a sporting legacy that will provide the substance to any new physical infrastructure that will be built. I believe and trust them, they have earned that right.

Besides, we are Aston Villa. Villa are the heart and soul of English football. The bluenoses can never rob us of that, no matter how much they try to be like us. Always a step behind.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s very Aston Villa of us to allow others to reap the rewards of taking risks or showing some immense ambition. Quite why we have failed to either expand on what we have or aim to move elsewhere is just insane. We’ll be left behind again. Oh well. 

The muted reaction to the cancelled North stand really shocked me and ai got a lot of ridicule for bringing it up. This is the third time in 20 years we have backed out of doing it.

12 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The muted reaction to the cancelled North stand really shocked me and ai got a lot of ridicule for bringing it up. This is the third time in 20 years we have backed out of doing it.

You have to wonder why, council squeeze or refusal to accommodate?

2 hours ago, mrchnry said:

You have to wonder why, council squeeze or refusal to accommodate?

Planning permission had been fully granted - the decision would have been ours and ours alone, the council had absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's very unlikely any development will take place around Aston Hall. It's a registered park and garden within which is a Grade I listed building.

Also, as I've said before, we're a football club not the National Trust. We don't need to getting into the business of preserving crumbling stately homes that serve no footballing purpose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also, as I've said before, we're a football club not the National Trust. We don't need to getting into the business of preserving crumbling stately homes that serve no footballing purpose. 

You're quite right. We shouldn't be in the business of selling clothing or beer either.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You're quite right. We shouldn't be in the business of selling clothing or beer either.

The differences between selling routine consumer items that football fans want to purchase as part of a match-going experience on the one hand, and taking over a long-term commitment to maintaining a listed building located on the opposite side of a park from the ground and which serves no footballing purpose and is of no interest to match-day crowds on the other seem too obvious to have to expound at length. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It would be some turnaround by the club to go from not doing it to re-starting in eight or nine weeks time - they'd have to start this summer to get it finished in time.

I think given the money that's getting spent on the warehouse and the existing facilities we can safely rule out a new North Stand starting before the summer of 2029.

I thought we could start Summer 2025 for a two year build and one year use before the Euros?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That’s a really unpleasant view point to be honest. Aston Villa should absolutely re respectful of heritage and rare beauty to be found in the locality. Aston Hall and Villa Park are just about the only decent features of a deprived area, they should stand side by side. Not to mention that the park is well used by the community. 

The plans they had to build a new stand were fine but they’ve canned them for whatever reason. I’d also be open to a move but that doesn’t look likely either. The plan to add 3k more seats doesn’t look particularly feasible. 

Looks like they’re going to let Villa Park become slowly more outdated and limited. A bit like Old Trafford but without the capacity. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The differences between selling routine consumer items that football fans want to purchase as part of a match-going experience on the one hand, and taking over a long-term commitment to maintaining a listed building located on the opposite side of a park from the ground and which serves no footballing purpose and is of no interest to match-day crowds on the other seem too obvious to have to expound at length. 

Out of interest, where do you draw the line?

Should the club shop be open on non-match days? Should we allow tours which aren't part of the match going experience? Is a museum okay? Restaurants which are open on non-match days? 

Nothing will happen with this, but if NSWE wanted to buy a heritage site and maintain it, why shouldn't they? The football club doesn't need to own or manage it, although the club might be the main user of any services.

The council need to raise 1.25 billion pounds in the next year or so to keep their heads above water and a minimum 500m of that has to be through asset sales.

We should absolutely be battering down their door to force a move through for Aston Hall and all the surrounding land or another land parcel big enough to build a stadium more central. Any council owned land right now is up for grabs for the right bid. 

If we can keep the hall and incorporate it into a new stadium complex in a sympathetic manner then great but if not - get approval to flatten it. The council could even come in as partners and keep an interest going forward as it could be a very significant regeneration project. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

This thread has lost the plot now. Talking about flattening a 400 year old building to extend our out of date stadium. 

You realise it was a joke, right?

• Like 1

Â