Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

I recall the re profiling was done because there were so many complaints about lack of legroom after the Witton lane was turned into a 2 tier stand. The asbestos was found on the first rebuild, wasn't it? oh, and your maths stinks 😜. But you're right about blocking the view from the corner of the Holte!

The rows counted are away fans section  and if you look closer the home fans has one more row 😉

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Didn't come across as a joke!

You think anybody would seriously propose knocking down Aston Hall for a stadium?

44 minutes ago, limpid said:

I don't believe we could build over that road without rebuilding the whole Holte. The engineering to cantilever the weight of a roof over a structural seat deck would be significant and the stand is already at the property line. Depending on how much of an extension, you'd also have to move the sky boxes.

We're unlikely to get consent for anything encroaching on the Hall's grounds. It might be looked at more favourably if the application came backed by new owners of the hall though.

I was looking at something much smaller than any encroachment or change to the sky boxes - just a little shelf on stilts on the end of the Upper Holte - even then we might struggle to get planning permission to put the stilts in the park and everything else you've said on the structural integrity of the Holte would still be true - it'd be a lot of effort for maybe an extra 200 Upper Holte seats.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

You think anybody would seriously propose knocking down Aston Hall for a stadium?

And how long do you think this broke ass council is going to be able to maintain it for? The unfortunate reality is that its future is already probably very gloomy. 

59 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The rows counted are away fans section  and if you look closer the home fans has one more row 😉

17 + 6 = 23

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of space, development, better use of the existing facilities and any sort of future at Villa Park that features expansion - the key would be buying up land and houses behind the Doug Ellis Stand and building its replacement 20 or 30 feet further back.

Obviously the housing issue is very contentious but could we play at the same capacity while the DE stand is being rebuilt behind? Much like Liverpool did with their main stand.

16 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Obviously the housing issue is very contentious but could we play at the same capacity while the DE stand is being rebuilt behind? Much like Liverpool did with their main stand.

Depends how far back the CPO went. If it went to Holte Road that’s unlikely to be sufficient. If it went to Yew Tree road we’re in business as you could then probably rotate the stadium as well. But it would have to be CPO all the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

As I said the block next the one that was counted has an extra row 

It's nit picking, but Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 17.28.21.jpg isn't 6 fewer than Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 17.28.27.jpg whether you add in an extra row or not

• Like 1

The horseshoe idea has been floating a long time. I remember in my days of lurking reading it and seeing mock ups in about 2008!

Looking at the plans for the Trinity and North from 1999 you would think something lile that was the original plan. Do the North and then if needs be look at some sort of deal for Witton Lane.

• Like 1

There has never been a holistic plan for villa park. That’s the entire problem.

We have a bastardized trinity that replaced the most beautiful stand in the history of football, we have a dual tier holte that bears no resemblance to its previous single stand glory. We have a north stand that is quite frankly rotting and the Doug Ellis is an abomination purely for its name. 

Edited by DakotaVilla
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We have a bastardized trinity that replaced the most beautiful stand in the history of football, we have a dual tier holte that bears no resemblance to its previous single stand glory. We have a north stand that is quite frankly rotting and the Doug Ellis is an abomination purely for its name. 

100% agree with Dakota on this. Villa park has been irreparably damaged by the Ellis era.

But what it still has in its favour is that it is in the same location that all our fellow Villa fans have made the journey to for over 100 years.

Edited by Caravella82

maybe we should just be done with building outwards, and just build upwards like in the Bet365 curling advert thingy........ :)

have screens further up so you can actually see something from the top.........no need for more land! :P

We can claim to have "highest fans in the world", and it not be illegal!

image.png.fdcec8d87139e47f354676e91ccc8bb4.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We have a bastardized trinity that replaced the most beautiful stand in the history of football, we have a dual stand holte that bears no resemblance to its previous single stand glory. We have a north stand that is quite frankly rotting and the Doug Ellis is an abomination purely for its name. 

Isn't that the beauty of VP though? It started as a blank canvas that has been built in phases over 150 years. We have speculated about a new stadium and the opportunties it could bring to the club, but the more I see and read about VP the more I think we will lose our soul moving. I hope when the club does redevelop that the whole local community and fans can benefit from the changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Isn't that the beauty of VP though? It started as a blank canvas that has been built in phases over 150 years. We have speculated about a new stadium and the opportunities it could bring to the club, but the more I see and read about VP the more I think we will lose our soul moving. I hope when the club does redevelop that the whole local community and fans can benefit from the changes.

Not for me and at the time, not for Ellis either.

Redevelopment was forced upon many clubs in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster and the Taylor report. This is why so many clubs changed stadiums in the Nineties (Eg. Sunderland, Coventry, Middlesbrough and Derby) and why most were redevelopment in some manner.

Villa unfortunately were ran by a man with no care for how the stadium looked as long as it meant as few pennies as possible were spent.

And Ansell's (Financial Director in early 2000's) quote at the time went as follows: 'You can't expect a business, particularly in the service industry, to offer the sort of facilities that are required today in a 76 year old building".

Ellis had many priorities but offering Villa fans value for money was never one of them. Being forward thinking was not his forte either.

Appropriate though that that quote is valid now for two of our current stands. But the advantage is I believe that now we have two far more advanced thinkers in Sawiris and Edens as our Clubs owners.

Edited by Caravella82
  • Like 2

Errr no. That’s why it’s an incredibly sub optimal stadium in the modern age. I guess some may see beauty in what is basically an architectural mess but I’d suggest that they’re probably at least partially blinded by claret and blue tinted glasses. 

• Like 1

Â