Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Yeah but the current rules are just that, the current rules. In 5 years it could be a different regime.

But one thing will always remain a constant- your stadium is your shop window and our shop window has one major let down and that's the current North Stand built in 1977.

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Yeah but the current rules are just that, the current rules. In 5 years it could be a different regime.

But one thing will always remain a constant- your stadium is your shop window and our shop window has one major let down and that's the current North Stand built in 1977.

And the Witton Lane stand. 

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It was something promised and planned by Purslow and not delivered by Heck. To blame Purslow for Heck's decision is silly.

The badge is subjective, I would have been happy with the round badge for what it was worth. Lets get behind it, move forward. Purslow was still in charge at the point of the Brighton game? I can't remember. I just wanted us to go in one direction fully, not half hearted. Perhaps I am blaming Purslow for decisions out of his control.

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's absolutely nothing to suggest this was the case though. The club went through every stage in the planning of the new stand, spending time and money on architects, surveys, work with the local community, adjusting those plans, seeking and gaining planning permission, engaging surveyors and contractors and announcing those plans to the wider world - the idea that this project wasn't real is ridiculous. 

A (red) brick hasn't been laid so it is fair to say the North Stand was/is all talk for what it is worth. It is helpful talk in regards to the Euros and Witton Station I imagine. The North Stand has been promised three times but cancelled at each occasion. It begs the question why?!

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

A (red) brick hasn't been laid so it is fair to say the North Stand was/is all talk for what it is worth. It is helpful talk in regards to the Euros and Witton Station I imagine. The North Stand has been promised three times but cancelled at each occasion. It begs the question why?!

Architectural drawings have been made, contracts signed, experts engaged,  pens have been put to paper, planning permission has been sought and gained - it's everything but the brick. The Ellis and Lerner efforts got as far as preliminary drawings, a few hundred pounds for a sketch of a dream, those are completely different scenarios. We've spent a fortune getting to the point where that brick can be laid and then decided not to - it does indeed beg the question why.

The idea that we dreamed the whole thing up to get the station redeveloped or help the FA's Euro bid though is laughable nonsense - if you believe that to be the case, I have a bridge you may be interested in purchasing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

The badge is subjective, I would have been happy with the round badge for what it was worth. Lets get behind it, move forward. Purslow was still in charge at the point of the Brighton game? I can't remember. I just wanted us to go in one direction fully, not half hearted. Perhaps I am blaming Purslow for decisions out of his control.

Mate. 

1. Purslow delivered the round badge. Made a video for the launch. Planned a big launch for the Brighton home game. Heck was hired by Aston Villa on 17 May and his first decision was to bin the video and cancel the launch of the round badge. 

2. Mid summer it was revealed the round badge was for the kits only and the club would 'monitor' reaction. Unsurprisingly the club then announced they were going in a different direction and we got the crappy leaked version of an evolved Lerner crest.

3. Purslow absolutely 100% was all in with the owners for redevelopment of the North Stand. He left in May 2023.

4. Mid summer there were reports we were tweaking things - the warehouse instead of Villa Live, putting new club shop in the new stand rather than in Villa Live etc.

5. Prior to the sheff utd game on 23 December Heck did an internal puff interview with Villa TV where he dropped the bombshell that 'we're not doing that' when the interviewer asked about the new stand.

This is absolutely not something you can blame Purslow for. If anything Purslow was a visionary on these matters.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
Typos
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The idea that we dreamed the whole thing up to get the station redeveloped or help the FA's Euro bid though is laughable nonsense

More like Villa Park/Birmingham/West Midlands bid to be a hosting stadium at the Euros rather than the FA.  The FA don't care about Villa.

18 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

More like Villa Park/Birmingham/West Midlands bid to be a hosting stadium at the Euros rather than the FA.  The FA don't care about Villa.

Seriously, it's weird to think we went through the level of detail we did in order to hoodwink UEFA, do you really believe that to be true, or is it just a way to try to focus the disappointment onto the previous CEO? It seems a little far fetched no?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Architectural drawings have been made, contracts signed, experts engaged,  pens have been put to paper, planning permission has been sought and gained - it's everything but the brick. The Ellis and Lerner efforts got as far as preliminary drawings, a few hundred pounds for a sketch of a dream, those are completely different scenarios. We've spent a fortune getting to the point where that brick can be laid and then decided not to - it does indeed beg the question why.

The idea that we dreamed the whole thing up to get the station redeveloped or help the FA's Euro bid though is laughable nonsense - if you believe that to be the case, I have a bridge you may be interested in purchasing.

Just a note, as a planning professional myself, people often think it is a case of: 1. Get planning permission, 2. Build. When in fact planning permission is usually the first link in the chain, or at least a very early step in that direction, with lots of steps after that point. Not that it changes your point, just saying that getting planning permission is often a very early phase of development plans, rather than the final step.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Just a note, as a planning professional myself, people often think it is a case of: 1. Get planning permission, 2. Build. When in fact planning permission is usually the first link in the chain, or at least a very early step in that direction, with lots of steps after that point. Not that it changes your point, just saying that getting planning permission is often a very early phase of development plans, rather than the final step.

Aye, fair enough, Villa had begun a tendering process and were looking to engage contractors so were a good ways along, but you're right; I really just wanted to seperate this from the ideas that Ellis and Lerner had - those were very much just pipe dream sketches.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Aye, fair enough, Villa had begun a tendering process and were looking to engage contractors so were a good ways along, but you're right; I really just wanted to seperate this from the ideas that Ellis and Lerner had - those were very much just pipe dream sketches.

and then the tenders come back in and they realise that the PQS **** up the cost plan during the feasibility study and the whole project is dead in the water

as always blame the PQS and the damn cost plan which is never ever right ;) 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely. And Tony Xia’s theme park pie in the sky pipe dream.

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Seriously, it's weird to think we went through the level of detail we did in order to hoodwink UEFA, do you really believe that to be true, or is it just a way to try to focus the disappointment onto the previous CEO? It seems a little far fetched no?

I never said hoodwinked. The original plan was proven to be idealistic and has been down-scaled. That is okay, sometimes there are sound reasons for plans to be reduced.

However, I am disappointed (and a little impatient) by the lack of clear communication on the re-development. I have been unfair on Purslow upon reflection of information provided by posters on this thread. Heck & Hatton are picking up the project and adding their views - the re-development has been a bit messy lets be honest. There has been a gap in information and communication from Purslow to Heck. I suppose more communication will come out about the actual future of VP in the coming weeks & months.

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

I never said hoodwinked. The original plan was proven to be idealistic and has been down-scaled. That is okay, sometimes there are sound reasons for plans to be reduced.

I think it'd be great if the original plan was 'proven' to be idealistic, or for that matter proven to be anything, or indeed just down-scaled rather than cancelled.

The lack of communication on the real reasoning has made it difficult and lead to all sorts of conjecture - as you say though, there will be sound reasons for the plans to be cancelled and for the new plan to be put in place - the people who run the club aren't daft, they don't cancel a nine figure project out of spite for the previous CEO. If we can generate better revenue with improvements in what we have, that might well be both prudent and a good step forward in the short to medium term.

It's still a pity that having put so much in place, invested so much time and effort in the project and almost got it over the line, our owners have about turned and decided to go in a different direction. I am sure there are some very good reasons, unfortunately, it looks like those reasons will never be communicated to us (which usually means that those reasons are money).

I hope we'll see plans for redevelopment in the next few years - I think compared to previous ownership groups, NSWE are a mile ahead of any other owners we've had in my lifetime (and I've got a grey beard). It'd be a pity if during their time here they don't leave a lasting physical reminder of everything they've done for the football club.

• Like 2

The timeline is clear on when things changed. Purslow even did a 25 minute interview on Sky with Beth Rigby in April 2023, at Villa Park, explaining about the future and the new stand that would be going up! The new here's fingerprints are all over the ditching of the round badge and the new stand.

Now he may well come up with something better on the redevelopment front - jury out until we hear something communicated- but there is a reason people like me have not taken to this bloke.

14 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The timeline is clear on when things changed. Purslow even did a 25 minute interview on Sky with Beth Rigby in April 2023, at Villa Park, explaining about the future and the new stand that would be going up! The new here's fingerprints are all over the ditching of the round badge and the new stand.

Now he may well come up with something better on the redevelopment front - jury out until we hear something communicated- but there is a reason people like me have not taken to this bloke.

The NS seemed to be cancelled when Atairos became partners. 👀

Edited by Villa_Vids

New Aston/Witton 55k-60k community stadium/hub next to VP rather than re-developing NS & DE stands - which will also involve buying houses/land (but without reducing the capacity of VP in the short term). 

PotentialLand.thumb.jpg.3e22e0bd21fde10b9df3936f128e37d9.jpg

14 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I am sure this is posted elsewhere in the thread but just reposting it here seeing as the conversation is active again. Still think this was the perfect next step for us rather than a new stadium

3.45: drools!

It's perfect.  Such a shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â