Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

This was an interesting read, given both St James Park's history and how it makes Villa Park's constraints to expansion look minor in comparison.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe a regular fan couldn't, but I am sure there are 5-10k people within a 50 mile radius happy to pay £100+ per game, and that is not including football tourists from abroad/businesses.

Especially if we can compete with Arsenals and Chelseas, and even more so if we can offer games on Tuesday nights. 

That's a big if. What happens if we revert to the mean and become a mid table side again? Will all those fans keep on coming?

1 hour ago, sne said:

That's where an old stadium like this is never going to catch up to a modern one no matter how much they try to rebuild, revamp and spruce up the existing structure.

Well at least they could try. None of the concourse areas have had any updates since they were built.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's a big if. What happens if we revert to the mean and become a mid table side again? Will all those fans keep on coming?

I think it’s a fair point. We’ve been an upward trajectory for 4 years and have been sold out or close to pretty much every game since Covid. 

Ive had this conversation with spurs, Liverpool, United mates, when was the last time they had a truly shit team, one that is most likely to lose and get relegated. Try spending over £100 to get to a game to watch that and justify it every week. 

We need a good team to get good attendances without you don’t have them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

That's where an old stadium like this is never going to catch up to a modern one no matter how much they try to rebuild, revamp and spruce up the existing structure.

It obviously won't compare to a new stand designed to cater for that from the off. But that doesn't mean they should ignore it and can't do anything to improve what is already there.

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

It obviously won't compare to a new stand designed to cater for that from the off. But that doesn't mean they should ignore it and can't do anything to improve what is already there.

No I fully agree. Raising prices in 2024 but still delivering a 1990's experience is poor form and an insult to the loyal fans IMO.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well at least they could try. None of the concourse areas have had any updates since they were built.

The Holte Lower was refurbished last season with the addition of the self service, pre-paid and walk through units and the Holte Upper was given a refresh at the start of the season - they've also given a number of kiosks over to concessions like the Pietanic people, the Indian food, the coffee stands and the Chicken thing. There's an awful lot that could be improved on the concourses, but there have been changes.

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Holte Lower was refurbished last season with the addition of the self service, pre-paid and walk through units and the Holte Upper was given a refresh at the start of the season - they've also given a number of kiosks over to concessions like the Pietanic people, the Indian food, the coffee stands and the Chicken thing. There's an awful lot that could be improved on the concourses, but there have been changes.

Can't do anything in the North stand. Which now stays the same. And will cost more again next season no doubt.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2024 at 10:27, Mic09 said:

I went to the new Riverside stand at Fulham when we played them and beer/food was available even an hour after the game.

If Holte End bars were open after the game with some good TVs and other facilities I would happily spend an hour after the game and have and extra 2 or 3 drinks and maybe some food. 

Also parking tbh; I currently pay some random chancers £10 a time to leave my car somewhere 'safe'. Could the club find a way to buy some land within walking distance? Or a bigger plot of land further away and run buses?

On 29/02/2024 at 22:12, OutByEaster? said:

I think Heck sees Chelsea as a model for us - the idea isn't so much about increasing capacity as increasing yield and I think the club still very definitely believe that there is an opportunity to do that.

That's pounds per person - the amount they can get from each person attending, rather than adding more people who are paying less. Part of that will be converting some of those that currently attend from being regular seats to GA+ and Hospitality seats, part of it will be changing the Hospitality offers to add more 'exclusive' opportunities and higher prices (stuff like a tunnel club and the seats around the dugout) and part of it will no doubt be increasing the prices for matchday fans and season ticket holders.

I think the challenge the club see is how to get us from £2m a game to £4m a game without adding additional seating.

Heck also did a lot in terms of raising revenues and improving the value of the club during his time in Philadelphia without increasing the stadium capacity.  So "more seats" won't be his default answer to the question how do we improve our revenues. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also parking tbh; I currently pay some random chancers £10 a time to leave my car somewhere 'safe'. Could the club find a way to buy some land within walking distance? Or a bigger plot of land further away and run buses?

Try using Star City, it's free, but about a 20 to 25min walk from there to VP

• Like 1

On 01/03/2024 at 12:08, Nicho said:

We need a good team to get good attendances without you don’t have them

It’s a classic chicken and egg situation. We need a good team to sell the project but we need structure to exploit the product to increase the income, ok we have rich  and savy owners to help  euth the infrastructure but we’re not allowed to spend on the product, football, to justify the infrastructure so we have to think outside the box to some extent and I think that’s what Chris Heck has been brought in for to see the club and the football business in general through different eyes. When our owners started they needed an experienced English football executive to steady what was a rudderless ship and run us like a proper premier league football club and do bsck then Christian Purslow was just right for the job but time has passed and the club has moved on at a fairly rapid pace, certainly on the pitch, thanks to the appointment of Unai and now the football business needs have changed in regards to firstly what we need but also what is possible. I’m an older fan and largely due to no longer living in the area I don’t get to games very often anymore so my needs/desires have also changed but ultimately I want what’s best for The Villa and to see us win lots of games and silverware as I’m sure most of you do too.  UTV!!! 
P. S. It was my 61st birthday yesterday so a late birthday present from our wonderful team this evening would be very welcome! Please if it’s not too much to ask? I’m not gready, just a five or six goal difference victory with no injury problems and if there are any higher powered bodies listening then  if you could spare a hammering for Spurs and Man U too…….?

• Like 1

As somebody who sits in the Holte Upper towards the right side, why do the police have a room between the Holte and the DE which just seems like a weird social meeting room.  The floor below it is the Police hub type room which is fair enough, but the top floor, during the game, just seems like half a dozen police facing away from the game doing not much.  It’s a prime spot that I assume could be used for a better use commercially.  It’s not a police lookout as they are always casually looking inwards so i’m not sure what it is for rather than a breakout room, informal meeting room or whatever but a prime spot wasted that could generate some revenue.

So what is the current plans for VP? Adding a few thousands seats to the seating bowl, doubling the club shop in size, converting the academy building into the warehouse, establishing a better traffic system and waiting for news on the redevelopment of Witton Station. This seems to be the short term plan.

The club have played a blinder getting VP as a Euro 2028 venue without the major construction that was planned (if the North Stand isn't redeveloped), which is very frustrating to me as I liked the ideas and the symbol of progress it represented. I don't think the pause is solely on Heck, I think it would have been delayed by Purslow or whomever replaced him too.

Is it possible they will redevelop the North Stand before EURO 2028?

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

So what is the current plans for VP? Adding a few thousands seats to the seating bowl, doubling the club shop in size, converting the academy building into the warehouse, establishing a better traffic system and waiting for news on the redevelopment of Witton Station. This seems to be the short term plan.

The club have played a blinder getting VP as a Euro 2028 venue without the major construction that was planned (if the North Stand isn't redeveloped), which is very frustrating to me as I liked the ideas and the symbol of progress it represented. I don't think the pause is solely on Heck, I think it would have been delayed by Purslow or whomever replaced him too.

Is it possible they will redevelop the North Stand before EURO 2028?

Pre Heck announcement the redevelopment was supposed to take 2 years. And for the euros and stadium work is supposed to be finished at least one year before the tournament starts. Therefore in theory we have until May 2025 for a no/no-go situation.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

As somebody who sits in the Holte Upper towards the right side, why do the police have a room between the Holte and the DE which just seems like a weird social meeting room.  The floor below it is the Police hub type room which is fair enough, but the top floor, during the game, just seems like half a dozen police facing away from the game doing not much.  It’s a prime spot that I assume could be used for a better use commercially.  It’s not a police lookout as they are always casually looking inwards so i’m not sure what it is for rather than a breakout room, informal meeting room or whatever but a prime spot wasted that could generate some revenue.

That room is where I get my VAR updates. Ten thousand of us watch that telly when it's a televised game. Ridiculous that's this is the match going fans best way of understanding whats going on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Pre Heck announcement the redevelopment was supposed to take 2 years. And for the euros and stadium work is supposed to be finished at least one year before the tournament starts. Therefore in theory we have until May 2025 for a no/no-go situation.

Therefore there is still hope the north stand could get the go-ahead in the next twelve months. Why are the club bothering to undertake this traffic survey/plan if not for an expected increase in capacity and attendance?  Or is it simply to improve the existing situation?

The thing is - nothing has been officially stated about the cancellation of the NS project.  I still have some hope they will complete the warehouse then start work on the north stand in 2025, they said in September Villa Live is still planned too. Maybe it will all happen in time? 

I suppose we will find out more in the coming months.

• Thanks 1

Â