Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I don't think it's anything to do with the waiting list which I believe is accurate, it's more likely due to cost. They are probably seeing how much it's going to cost to do this north stand (and villa village) redevelopment and thinking that it's half the cost of a brand new stadium. Getting the cranes needed to build it, access to the site etc. all hugely problematic. All that increases costs probably to an amount where it's not a feasible project. 

Could be. 

Or could be combination of both.

I think the transpirt is a massive issue. 

Massively disappointing as we wont be part of the euros now

4 minutes ago, lainux said:

Hate to dread how much season tickets will increase by if we do make the CL, not that it should have an affect as European games are separate anyway, he'll find a way to increase them...

Yeah the strategy will obviously be to extract as much value out of the current stadium/demand as possible.

I get it from a business/atmosphere and logic standpoint.

Just know it won't go down well with a section of fans 

It's bad timing whenever you close the stand really. If you do it on a high then it is disappointing that we do not have full stands  and we lose revenue on ticket revenue. If you do it on a low then everyone questions whether it is needed at all. The travel infrastructure is not going to be put in place before the stand is built - that is obvious with the troubles at BCC. They should just commit to it and get it done. It is badly needed for the fan experience and to grow the club. The inevitable worsening of travel will force the council's hand to invest in local infrastructure.

The second city of the UK not hosting a single Euros match is a massive problem, when Manchester has two. This sort of mentality holds back Villa, and it holds back the region. We don't have the luxury of a vaguely competent competitor given they have a Shrek impersonator dribbling at the mouth in a stadium held up by sticky tape so the entire region misses out.

What are the current positives about Villa Park over a new stadium? Forget history and heritage for the purposes of this discussion. 

Pros to moving; 

• better local infrastructure 

•better travel options 

•land we can rent out to restaurants for a pre and post match experience

• a lot easier to put on other events like concerts, something that has been a struggle for years. 

•more seats 

CONS 

• Probably wouldn't be a local chippy 

• Shocked 1

You don't think Heck is look at the Euros and thinking "Hmmm... 2028... that'd be 4 years to build a new stadium" and seeing it as way more cost effective than renovating the North Stand?

Spitballing, obviously. I'm just wondering what the long game is.

9 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

The second city of the UK not hosting a single Euros match is a massive problem, when Manchester has two. This sort of mentality holds back Villa, and it holds back the region. We don't have the luxury of a vaguely competent competitor given they have a Shrek impersonator dribbling at the mouth in a stadium held up by sticky tape so the entire region misses out.

Manchester only has one stadium selected for the Euros (Etihad). 

In 10 years time, we will still be talking about improving Villa Park or moving, with a  minimum amount of improvements in between.

If they don't think building one new stand on land they already own is not cost-effective, I can't see the business model to find space for a new ground and all associated facilities. That will cost close to a billion, not a hundred mil. Pipe dreams.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I do get the travel issues though - that has to be sorted to allow another 10k folk in every other weekend.

I'm still wondering how I managed to get home from the Tranmere Game and the Liverpool Holte Ends last stand game with 48,000.

I assume the 77,000 who attended the Derby game in 1946 are still travelling. 

What could we do in 1946 and 1994 that we can't do today 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Never saw why it would. The work Villa would have to do is relatively minor compared to some of the stadiums part of the bid (Casement Park is literally derelict)

Do you know what, I’m coming round to the idea of keeping the capacity as it is (for now) as long as they face lift what they have eg improve concourses, toilets, replace the faded claret seating spelling out The Holte End. Just some investment on the existing stuff would be a start. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm still wondering how I managed to get home from the Tranmere Game and the Liverpool Holte Ends last stand game with 48,000.

Walk or the tram?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Far too many cars on the road

Obviously taking a ‘wait and see’ approach. 

We already have a 30K waiting list. IF we were to do the incredible and pull off a PL win, demand will increase further at even higher prices. Also, hate to say it but it wouldn’t surprise me if they are discussing a move away from Villa Park. 

• Like 1

Brillant on the pitch, shambles off it. Very depressing turn of events. I actually thought they would do this project.

And for any talk on some short term improvements to the Notrth Stand I can;t see if its worth it. They concluded in the application it isn't fit for purpose. Good luck with Villa trying to explain to Uefa it could be used for the euros.

• Like 1

Â