Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

I assume the proposed corporate hospitality heavy model of the North Stand will also be looked at and may be revised because the Terrace View and Lower Grounds probably have not have been received aswell as the club expected.

Let's see what happens. Paused doesn't mean stopped but I can see why people will doubt if it will ever happen. UTV!

47 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Absolutely. Birmingham council are bankrupt and the tories are **** next year. 

I’d assume all infrastructure upgrades are canned and if thats the case, we really cant add 10,000 seats. 

Before the advent of all seater stadiums, Villa Park frequently had attendances North of 50,000. I personally was in a crowd of 62,000. It really isn’t a deal breaker.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

It really sounds like Heck is concerned about having 10,000 extra people use the existing transport links around Villa Park and I do understand where he's coming from. Anyone who visited the ground when we were pulling in 30,000 fans in the Championship can attest to how much worse travelling in is now we're filling VP again. Now add 10,000 more fans on to already strained transport links and it's clear to see there's a problem. Perhaps he wants that solved before moving ahead with extra seats.

Isn't it the case that the planning application is only approved on the basis that transport links are upgraded too?

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Heck will be entirely short term thinking. He won't be here in 5 years, arguably not even 3. He needs to pad his CV with short term ready deliverables - stuff that easily drives sales. The stadium is potentially a big millstone around his career so in the bin it goes.

Exactly

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is exactly what I fear. 

He's American. He won't respect the tradition at all. If he thinks he can get a new bowl at The NEC that's exact what he'll do. 

I think this is unfair.

American sport honours tradition like nothing else, occasionally to a fault.

There is a repeated theme with criticisms of Heck that he's American so he won't get it, but look at the big 4 sports over there. While they have plenty of brand new stadiums, they also have a lot of historic old teams in very old stadiums that they've stayed in because it's important to the fans.

The rebrand Heck did for Philadelphia brought a classic aesthetic into the modern era to basically universal acclaim. It showed a clear understanding of what the fanbase wanted. It's worth giving him a chance here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Heck will be entirely short term thinking. He won't be here in 5 years, arguably not even 3. He needs to pad his CV with short term ready deliverables - stuff that easily drives sales. The stadium is potentially a big millstone around his career so in the bin it goes.

I would think that NSWE would have the awareness, competence and influence to overrule him if they suspected that this was the wrong decision.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Isn't it the case that the planning application is only approved on the basis that transport links are upgraded too?

That was never a pre-condition. It was discussed but not essential. Villa have made it a reason not to progress, as anything other than a new Witton station would probably cost Villa to sort out.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh man, why not! 

Finding the land is hard. You'd almost have to accept it would be outside of the city in an area with decent transport links - The NEC springs to mind (I know it's been done to death). 

We're 50% owned by an American owner. They have stadiums that are 100x better than what we have. Stuff that makes Arsenal and Spurs stadiums look average.
Check out the So-fi,  met life, at&t and the allegiant. 

If we went down the route of building a new 65k seater stadium - hell, I'm all for it. Ideally, I would like to see a brick facade but could pass on it. 

Bring on the Tesla Villa Bowl!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pongo Waring said:

Yes. Better facilities, better location, more money for Villa better image for Villa and the city of Birmingham. 

I'm surprised someone with the username of Pongo Waring would be so quick to dismiss the history and heritage of Villa Park for a quick buck and "to better the image of Birmingham", something that is of no consequence to Villa. 

Each to their own.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I can see where he's coming from, closing a stand the day after what could possibly be our most successful season in a long time. Can't remember how many seats are in the North Stand to lose... but surely that's always gonna be the case.

If we're shit we don't need extra seats, if we're great we can't get extra seats cos we're great. It's a strange one

Â