Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I tend to prefer stands that are not named after an individual so renaming the new north stand after Ron Saunders wouldn’t be my first choice. 

If it had to be, I’d rather it was William McGregor as his legacy is inherently more unique than a manager who won the league.

A fair point, but McGregor already has honourable recognition by way of a statue, and there's more romance involved with Saunders, and it's a little cold and neglectful to say he 'only' produced a league title. All the players and even Barton attributed our finest achievement to Ron Saunders. Quite rightly. His legacy would be complete with the renaming and it would be an overwhelmingly popular choice.

9 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

A fair point, but McGregor already has honourable recognition by way of a statue, and there's more romance involved with Saunders, and it's a little cold and neglectful to say he 'only' produced a league title. All the players and even Barton attributed our finest achievement to Ron Saunders. Quite rightly. His legacy would be complete with the renaming and it would be an overwhelmingly popular choice.

I didn’t say he “only” produced a league title, though. 

What happens if (let’s pretend) we win the league again? Do we put that manager’s name on another stand?

28 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

He also won 2 league cups and arguably the best Villa side ever (to watch)

Edited by Follyfoot

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I didn’t say he “only” produced a league title, though. 

What happens if (let’s pretend) we win the league again? Do we put that manager’s name on another stand?

Yes please! (apologies I must of misread). But the question still demeans the monumental achievement of galvanizing a club to win its first Div. 1 title in about 70 years and going on to win the highest club honour available. It's arguable that the only reason anyone (especially us) call ourselves a big club at all is down to Ron Saunders. It's certainly not all the titles we won in the 1800's, or the foresight of the brilliant William McGregor.

To answer the question, if Unai Emery managed to bag us a title and put everything in place for us to go on and win the European cup (in the same circumstances as before) for the second time, yes, I would consider naming a stand after him.

54 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I might have mentioned it before but renaming the individual blocks within the stand might be a good idea. So instead of block T1,T2 etc I’d go with the Ron Saunders enclosure/ section, Ugo Ehiogu section , Billy Walker etc… that way more of our legends will get the recognition they deserve with the new modern stand. 

There should be one seat named the David Unsworth seat.  I'm starting a petition!

Just now, AvonVillain said:

Yes please! (apologies I must of misread). But the question still demeans the monumental achievement of galvanizing a club to win its first Div. 1 title in about 70 years and going on to win the highest club honour available. It's arguable that the only reason anyone (especially us) call ourselves a big club at all is down to Ron Saunders. It's certainly not all the titles we won in the 1800's, or the foresight of the brilliant William McGregor.

To answer the question, if Unai Emery managed to bag us a title and put everything in place for us to go on and win the European cup (in the same circumstances as before) for the second time, yes, I would consider naming a stand after him.

Why don’t we have George Ramsay’s name on the stand? Six league titles, six FA cup wins, including as a player a total of 50 years of service to the club. 

And as a bonus he had no involvement with small heath either to sour things. Or them other lot down the road.

Does all of that amount to less than Saunders’ time here?

This is why I’m against naming stands after individuals. I don’t like that it essentially weighs up what people did and provides what appears to be a definitive answer when the matter is far more subjective.

• Like 4

Anything that endures over time sacrifices its
ability to make an impression. Anything that constitutes the walls of our life, the
backdrop of our consciousness, so to speak, forfeits its capacity to play a role in
that consciousness. A constant, bothersome sound becomes inaudible after several
hours. Pictures that we hang up on the wall are in a matter of days soaked up by
the wall; only very rarely do we stand before them and look at them.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Why don’t we have George Ramsay’s name on the stand? Six league titles, six FA cup wins, including as a player a total of 50 years of service to the club. 

And as a bonus he had no involvement with small heath either to sour things. Or them other lot down the road.

Does all of that amount to less than Saunders’ time here?

This is why I’m against naming stands after individuals. I don’t like that it essentially weighs up what people did and provides what appears to be a definitive answer when the matter is far more subjective.

Why don’t we have George Ramsay’s name on the stand?
An excellent question. Why don't we?

It is indeed totally subjective, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't honour individuals in the way being proposed. It means some people, like yourself, might disagree, which is fine. In the case of Ron Saunders, (like the new badge) an overwhelming majority would fully support it and it would be a hugely positive mark of respect by the club. I've never had a problem with the Doug Ellis stand being so named for example, but now I think it's pretty reasonable for this to be renamed too.

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I tend to prefer stands that are not named after an individual so renaming the new north stand after Ron Saunders wouldn’t be my first choice. 

If it had to be, I’d rather it was William McGregor as his legacy is inherently more unique than a manager who won the league.

Disagree entirely and I’m putting forward a motion for the Djemba-Djemba stand

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, brommy said:

The 'start' date is rather ambiguous for a project of this size. It could be argued that it started with the first drawings in readiness for consultation.

As you mentioned, there will be lots of minor stages they can be started before what I think most of us fans will see as the true start - the closure, for match day purposes, of the existing North Stand.

Does anyone else remember Purslow saying October next year, or am I simply incorrect on that?

Same with the old Trinity, knocked it down from May 2000 and the seating at least was all available by December even if internal functions weren't close to being ready.

Of course you forget how little space the North Stand actually takes up, Upper dosen't even stretch to the Trinity corner flag so when its successor is up and running everyone will realise how small it was and new stand will give VP such an imposing look.

Can't wait even if it will make it much harder to get tickets. I assume some sort of plan is VP will go down to 35k for about six months so 9-10 home games and will then be back up to 42k for start of 24/25 season as I assume the lower tier can be opened while they continue work with the upper tier. 

Again that's what happened with the Trinity. Opened the lower seats (without a functioning roof) around October 2000 and then Upper was opened for Boxing day game with Man. United.

Interested the more detailed timescales for this but we're a while off that unless Purslow will announce it at next FCC.

• Like 1

Just noticed 55 seconds into the video the away crowd are all minions ! Also if you look carefully the goal isn’t central and the join to the Witton looks a bit awkward so will have to wait & see more detailed plans ... Cannot wait to see this beast rise… 

76DBF062-3272-44BD-B3FC-11B3865C5752.jpeg

B8E6F335-AD76-4068-8824-2AC1268E8772.jpeg

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/birmingham-villa-park-42-660-50-065.1065537/page-30

Edited by thabucks

Â