Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

I have been having a thought recently. It is a bit of a strange feeling so I have had to roll it around in my head for a while to get an understanding of what it is. The thought was that if we need another player or two in January we will more than likely go out and buy them.  The reason it felt weird is that it is born out of optimism.  An optimistic thought about Aston Villa and the future. 

I'm not used to that. 

I don't think I'm getting carried away, it took me long enough to realise that I was thinking about Villa without it subconsciously making my whole body slump a little bit and there is still a bit of fear in me that something really has to go wrong.  

But for now I'm going to snuggle up to my little optimistic nugget of a thought and try to get to know it so I will recognise it if it happens again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I have been having a thought recently. It is a bit of a strange feeling so I have had to roll it around in my head for a while to get an understanding of what it is. The thought was that if we need another player or two in January we will more than likely go out and buy them.  The reason it felt weird is that it is born out of optimism.  An optimistic thought about Aston Villa and the future. 

I'm not used to that. 

I don't think I'm getting carried away, it took me long enough to realise that I was thinking about Villa without it subconsciously making my whole body slump a little bit and there is still a bit of fear in me that something really has to go wrong.  

But for now I'm going to snuggle up to my little optimistic nugget of a thought and try to get to know it so I will recognise it if it happens again.

It's called hope.

quote-Andy-Dufresne-hope-is-a-good-thing-maybe-the-255198.png

• Like 3

He certainly seems fully invested in us and not just from a financial perspective.

As has been said Lerner employed a similar(ish) approach during his early tenure so I'm not going to hail Dr T as the new messiah just yet but it is all very promising and extremely refreshing after years of what essentially has been austerity.

I think that if we can gain promotion this season it will only fuel his interest even more and we could see major investment and ambition.

All hypothetical though, let's just focus on another 3 points tonight for now! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Examples?

I keep reading it but never seeing any actual hard evidence that this is true. 

Investment in the squad for starters, we were spending early on and under MoN.

Investment in the infrastructure and facilities, I'll always be grateful for the Holte Pub renovation, didn't he also finalise the refurb of BH (admittedly was a project already fully underway), communication with fans (through others granted, as opposed to direct), further small things like added advertisement and some cosmetic touches in and around the ground.

He did also (I think) invest time and effort in local business initiatives and the VMF thing etc.

Whilst the final few years of his ownership were nothing more than a huge dark cloud I for one do not want to forget that for the first few years I really thought we were going somewhere, both on and off the pitch.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Examples?

I keep reading it but never seeing any actual hard evidence that this is true. 

How quickly we forget!

Surely you can remember Randy putting the stained glass windows back in and reopening the Holte Pub. Nice little earners they were.

Edited by choffer
grammar an' that
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Investment in the squad for starters, we were spending early on and under MoN.

Investment in the infrastructure and facilities, I'll always be grateful for the Holte Pub renovation, didn't he also finalise the refurb of BH (admittedly was a project already fully underway), communication with fans (through others granted, as opposed to direct), further small things like added advertisement and some cosmetic touches in and around the ground.

He did also (I think) invest time and effort in local business initiatives and the VMF thing etc.

Here in lies the great Randy Lerner myth, one I myself bought in to. 

People can remember him sort of doing stuff, it felt like things were happening. I'm sure there were plans to renovate the North Stand? I'm sure he started some kind of local business initiative this one time? Nobody can quite remember what he actually did do.

He definitely renovated the pub and pissed a shit load of money up the wall, I'll give him that much. Oh and he didn't cancel the BH build. 

That's about the grand sum of his off the field work. This feels wholely different to me, Tony is actually doing things. 

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Here in lies the great Randy Lerner myth, one I myself bought in to. 

People can remember him sort of doing stuff, it felt like things were happening. I'm sure there were plans to renovate the North Stand? I'm sure he started some kind of local business initiative this one time? Nobody can quite remember what he actually did do.

He definitely renovated the pub and pissed a shit load of money up the wall, I'll give him that much. Oh and he didn't cancel the BH build. 

That's about the grand sum of his off the field work. This feels wholely different to me, Tony is actually doing things. 

Time will tell, I have no reason to doubt Dr T and I'm fully behind him, as I was with RL during his early tenure.

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

I'm not used to that. 

On top of this, i'm ALSO thinking, If come January we are in an extremely strong position, looking almost certain for promotion, and some of out "first choice" or "ambitious" targets i.e Diawara become available, we may also do it!

• Like 1

Â