Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

First of all I love Tony but... a series question: what is Tony Xia's day job? The guy is the CEO and chairman of the RECON group, which apparently owns stakes in numerous other companies China. Doesn't this demand some of his attention? Judging by his twitter feed he has been working full-time on Aston Villa for the last 2 months now, and has obviously been based predominantly in England. I am  glad he is rich enough that he can dedicate all his time to his main passion and hope it continues, but I do wonder what happens to the rest of his empire whilst he's hanging out in B6. What does the rest of his company think?!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Ouch....

-- Snip --

Since you have just confirmed you are big Tone, sort out the EFL rights for the Championship in China so we can get streaming, cheers ;)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

First of all I love Tony but... a series question: what is Tony Xia's day job? The guy is the CEO and chairman of the RECON group, which apparently owns stakes in numerous other companies China. Doesn't this demand some of his attention? Judging by his twitter feed he has been working full-time on Aston Villa for the last 2 months now, and has obviously been based predominantly in England. I am  glad he is rich enough that he can dedicate all his time to his main passion and hope it continues, but I do wonder what happens to the rest of his empire whilst he's hanging out in B6. What does the rest of his company think?!

He is quiet most days during the day to be fair and when you get to that level, you only really get involved in the big decisions.

He's trying to get a new 'business' off the ground in Aston Villa, so for the time being that IS his day job. That's my take. On a much smaller scale (obviously!) my business more or less runs itself now and we've only 5 employees and a couple of contractors. Get the right people that you trust and they're pretty self sufficient, I spend maybe 10-15 hours a week working on it whilst dedicating the rest of my time to other ventures*

*Mostly VillaTalk and Twitter right now!

• Like 4

As a fan, I'm loving the fact that Tony is so upfront about our dealings, as seen by the Lescott and Adama tweets today. It seems to have put the brakes on the press making up BS rumours about us for the time being. How does everyone think the press now see us? We were never a favourite of the red tops anyway,(we were pretty much their go to team for a bit of bullying last season- maybe deservedly so) and even the Evening Mail seemed to be against the Villa at times. Do you reckons Tony's honesty will help our cause in the press, or alienate us even further? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenko#4 said:

Do you reckons Tony's honesty will help our cause in the press,

Given that a lot of the press now basically use twitter as the basis for stories, I guess they'll love it.

Whether it helps or hinders "our cause" is slightly different. It'll probably mean we get more coverage, even if that's just short stories based around twitters. But I imagine Dr T feels it will help awareness of the club.

Plus it is interesting for supporters to get the skinny, especially in slightly esoteric twitter tweet messages.

It's the future and it's rare for a FC owner to be so open and available via social media.

21 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

As a fan, I'm loving the fact that Tony is so upfront about our dealings, as seen by the Lescott and Adama tweets today. It seems to have put the brakes on the press making up BS rumours about us for the time being. How does everyone think the press now see us? We were never a favourite of the red tops anyway,(we were pretty much their go to team for a bit of bullying last season- maybe deservedly so) and even the Evening Mail seemed to be against the Villa at times. Do you reckons Tony's honesty will help our cause in the press, or alienate us even further? 

I am sure a lot of it is that we are not big news because of our league status right now but for sure if he comes out a deal says it like it is they can't make up too much rubbish can they. 

On 22/07/2016 at 22:20, Gary Thomas said:

wouldn't these negotiations go something like, "Gabby" [or insert name] we are sorry but we no longer feel you are fit our future plans and you will not see first team football here again. However, we would to help you engineer a move by allowing you a free transfer and helping any prospective buyer cover your wages. This will mean your financial terms would remain in tact in terms of wages - albeit with another club - and you would have a much better chance of actually playing.  Then we would essentially pay someone a lump sum to cover a percentage of his % of his wages - making him more affordable.  It sounds crazy suggesting we pay someone to take a player, I know, but if he stays and does not play we would be worse off keeping him because would have to pay the full wages ourselves.  Then there are the other negative effects of keeping a player who is not playing.  I have no knowledge of these issues, it would just make financial sense to me and it would be a better outcome for Gabby or whoever.

Plenty  said this would not or could not happen......

On 23/07/2016 at 03:28, villan_007 said:

Then, they all held hands and flew off to never land.

On 22/07/2016 at 22:31, AndyC said:

sorry but no, it won't happen. What kind of message does it send out to potential new players? Are we going to pay off anyone that doesn't perform, where does it end? People need to drop this idea that we can pay off the underperforming players and have players queuing up to replace them. These things take time, they are complicated, things fall through. None of us know better that's why we aren't billionaires or football managers.

On 23/07/2016 at 10:33, limpid said:

I'm pretty sure that players aren't allowed to have multiple ownership, even if it's hidden in a legal construct. If we are paying something towards his salary, then he is still under contract to us and we have to hold his registration. We can loan him as his registration is owned by us in toto. We can't part own his registration as that isn't allowed by the FL / FA / UEFA. Either he is our player or he isn't and legal trickery won't be tolerated.

Well......

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

Â