Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 hours ago, allani said:

I'm not convinced that China is necessarily any worse than anywhere else.  The US have a pretty poor track record when it comes to dodgy loans and the transparency and openness of the financial affairs of the two Presidential candidates leaves a lot to be desired.  If they aren't obligated to be more open and honest whilst running for one of the most influential roles on the planet then we'll struggle for anyone else too.  And it is only ever possible to follow a paper trail so far.  If we got all the info about the direct money sources / investments would that really prove anything?  Either it shows that the money appears to be "clean" or it doesn't - in which case our owners would be shown to be both bent and stupid.  It won't stop any conspiracy theories and it won't prove 100% that everything is completely above board either.

PS - Just for the record that isn't me stating that we shouldn't be aiming for open & transparent!!!!

We can start by having some open and transparency from the football managers.....because the way we are going on what is on display on the pitch at times.....we will be in the conference.

It seems they only want to explain what is wrong when they have gone and the onus is not on them.

Edited by TRO

The biggest Worry for me is ......not where the money has come from, but where its going.

We buy players that just have very little positive effect on our progress.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, allani said:

@Morley_crosses_to_Withe - I'm genuinely intrigued by this statement: "Yes. I don't believe that RDM was the best candidate we could have possibly got at the time. If people do then fine, but some of us don't." 

Lerner (who was chairman of the board at the time the process started) arranged for a group of people to provide a shortlist of candidates - which seem to have come down to 3 options - RDM, Pearson and Moyes (who then ruled himself out for whatever reason).  At this point Xia completed the takeover and despite Lerner's guys suggesting that Pearson was their preferred option - he went for RDM. 

Any link/source to confirm for sure that Xia had to choose fromjust the three candidates? 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

29 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Any link/source to confirm for sure that Xia had to choose fromjust the three candidates? 

I'm pretty sure that according to all the media they were the three candidates that were spoken to.  This is the link from the first page of the RDM thread on this site:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/26/roberto-di-matteo-on-brink-of-being-appointed-aston-villa-manage/

I certainly don't remember anyone from the club talking about any other candidates - although that clearly doesn't mean that their names were not put forward and / or that they were not considered.  I would hope that our original list was longer and that we didn't just start out with a list of three candidates!

Do you have anything suggesting that there were more candidates still in contention when the takeover was confirmed?  If so then like I said I'm happy to stand corrected.

I have no idea why he would have been there but I'd put money on it being him, although I remember reading he was in China? And he'd come back to finalise manager selection 

11 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I have no idea why he would have been there but I'd put money on it being him, although I remember reading he was in China? And he'd come back to finalise manager selection 

perhaps there is a chinatown in Derby:)

I'll get my coat

29 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Ender4 was joking. And you did read that he is in China, but was coming back next week to finalise manager selection.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

So....anyone tweeted him yet about China losing at home to Syria....:ph34r::lol:

Edit: I just have...be interested by his response.

Not sure it's wise to bring negative football vibes to our current benefactor.

4 hours ago, allani said:

I'm pretty sure that according to all the media they were the three candidates that were spoken to.  This is the link from the first page of the RDM thread on this site:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/26/roberto-di-matteo-on-brink-of-being-appointed-aston-villa-manage/

I certainly don't remember anyone from the club talking about any other candidates - although that clearly doesn't mean that their names were not put forward and / or that they were not considered.  I would hope that our original list was longer and that we didn't just start out with a list of three candidates!

Do you have anything suggesting that there were more candidates still in contention when the takeover was confirmed?  If so then like I said I'm happy to stand corrected.

But where does it say that it was Lerner/Lerner's people who selected the three candidates and Tony HAD to pick from one of the three!? You're reading between the lines, but it's a huge jump to say that Tony couldn't pick himself. It appears Hollis offered RDM the job, buts that's probably because he was doing the required admin leading to the takeover. It also says that RDM was Tony's number one choice, but it doesn't say he was restricted to just three candidates. 

If you read around more, it seems that RDM was absolutely Tony's choice. 

For example:

'Roberto was my first choice for several reasons,’ he says. ‘First - he’s possibly the most intelligent coach I’ve known. I don’t just mean the experience he’s accumulated from his management and playing experience, both at Champions League level. But he also has business acumen, an MBA in business management. He knows what I’m aiming at, on and off the pitch'.

Â