Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don’t think it is fair to be harsh on Xia regarding Di Matteo. Many of us had some doubts about him but not many felt he would be a terrible appointment and based on his CV he certainly wasn’t one.

It has now transpired he was the wrong choice. Owners/CEO’s who have been with clubs donkeys years make wrong managerial appointments. It happens.

Four months ago the problems at this football club ran way deeper than the manager. Now I don’t think they run any deeper than that. Get the managerial appointment right, and obviously that is easier said than done, then we will be fine.

Also on paper, whilst I didn't particularly rate him or want him, you can see why they were keen. He won me around initially with his ideas.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Depressing. It feels like we have made no progress from where we were in May.

Just now we are a laughing stock in the championship rather than the premier league.

All the briefing was that Xia had intervened in the managerial selection process and overridden the board's first choices to impose RDM. 

If there is actually anyone at the club who knows what they are doing, let's hope this time round he will listen to them more carefully.

Yes. I had forgotten about this. As you say, hopefully this time he takes advice.

I can't believe these rocket polishers on twitter giving him a hard time. It's probably some spotty 15 year old who has no idea how business works and lives in a dream world of fifa or football manager. To be fair villa have there fair share of deluded fans 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Depressing. It feels like we have made no progress from where we were in May.

Just now we are a laughing stock in the championship rather than the premier league.

All the briefing was that Xia had intervened in the managerial selection process and overridden the board's first choices to impose RDM. 

If there is actually anyone at the club who knows what they are doing, let's hope this time round he will listen to them more carefully.

But wasn't that advice offered (or at least most vocally supported) by people who had been appointed by Randy and are no longer involved with the club?  In which case maybe they were working more towards what Randy wanted from a manager than what Xia wanted?  I think now that Xia has his own team in place then he will hopefully be better placed to discuss the various qualities needed for the manager and leave them to get on with finding the right person.  And as an owner he absolutely has the right to specify the type of manager he wants - based on the type of football he wants to see played by his team and the importance of marketing the club around the world to build the support and interest that he clearly wants.

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Eh.. I personally think there is either some really bad juju still lingering in the club, or we just have the worst luck when selecting managers.. 

I would love to hear from RDM to know what went wrong. Was he just too friendly with the players to the point that they were all his friends? I mean it certainly seemed that way when he would play like 5 strikers and 1 midfielder it just never makes sense even if they are our best players. Something went drastically wrong here as RDM has one of the best squads ever compiled in the Championship and we're 19th in the league..

Here's hoping a new manager that didn't sign this lot that has no sentimental ties or bonds will just pick the best starting eleven, do away with this "let's just play with 6 attacking players" shit.. 

Its too late to hear anything credible from RDM....he needed to do it when he was employed by us, but didn't.

The "what went wrong" will now be rolled out as a complete defence of himself in order to present himself for his next job.

The explanations from the 2 scenarios would take on an entirely different slant....even though they were days apart.

In short you can't believe a word they say.

• Like 2

Just now, dn1982 said:

Bear in mind Pearson was the last boards choice!! Say no more 

Exactly!  We don't know who Xia would have wanted and / or selected for the shortlist had his people been in charge when the process started.  Remember the takeover wasn't completed so I suspect that there were many parameters in place that were imposed by Randy.  Of course now we'll be lucky to get anyone half decent as I don't suppose even the most confident of managers would expect that they would be able to turn this group of muppets into a promotion / play-off chasing team.  3 more months before we can bring in any defenders who know how to defend and / or midfielders who can pass and / or tackle is a long, long time.  I suspect that it is possible to get our forwards to improve on the chance / goal ratio - but we've still got to get the ball to them in a position where they can score or help create a chance for someone else.

11 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Bear in mind Pearson was the last boards choice!! Say no more 

Ooooooops, he was more than just their choice.

Hey! Who has a monopoly on who is right?

its all guess work......but there is someone who will fix this absolutely convinced.

As for RDM having one of the best squads ever in the Championship - have you looked at our midfield and defence?  I don't think too many other promotion chasing teams would take too many of them - although I guess KC did get taken so...

PS - That is not a defence of RDM at all.  He was in charge of the recruitment over the summer and so the failure to strengthen adequately in those areas was his responsibility.  I assume that it was also him telling people that Championship experience was one of the main criteria - something that I am not altogether a supporter of.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

We are becoming a special case now.....we need to hear from prospective managers who fully understand that and indicate in the interview how they intend to deal with it.

only then will the board have an idea, who it should be.

what managers have done in the past is with different circumstances so it is debatable how relevant that is.

Ron Saunders never achieved much, before he joined us.

its their understanding of our situation and how they see fixing it is the most relevant for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Sorry guys, forgot...

Yes, of course Xia is the best thing that happened to Villa, RDM best appointment ever, things going swimmingly this season, club no longer a shambles.

Will I be allowed back to worship in the temple now?

Briny, there is only one guy who never made a mistake and they nailed him to a cross.

Tony's intentions have been good......we will get this right.

4 minutes ago, allani said:

As for RDM having one of the best squads ever in the Championship - have you looked at our midfield and defence?  I don't think too many other promotion chasing teams would take too many of them - although I guess KC did get taken so...

PS - That is not a defence of RDM at all.  He was in charge of the recruitment over the summer and so the failure to strengthen adequately in those areas was his responsibility.  I assume that it was also him telling people that Championship experience was one of the main criteria - something that I am not altogether a supporter of.

Exactly, lots of people seem to be of the opinion we have got a good squad? It's crap, even our all singing all dancing brilliant forward line has managed to return a whopping 10 goals in 11 games.

This is far from one the best championship squads ever, it's a shambles.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, allani said:

That first line is spot on.

some folk think cracking forwards equals great squad......er no.

Its an unbalanced squad ......the defending of the ball i have seen you could double the players and still they would concede.

• Like 1

I'd say this move really is good news for us long term.

Not only by not hanging about and getting rid of RDM so quickly but also by not doing it via social media ( which many were worried about).

Now let's just hope that finally we get a decent manager in.

Good work Dr X. 

Â