Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

I said I would take just staying up at the start of the season and was being serious at the time. Doesn't make it any less disappointing that it's kind of working out that way. Bruce should keep us up at least, so that's something... right? :(

Edited by flamingsombrero

Need to spend big on midfield in January.  Not so much in terms of individuals but on the numbers to get in. Need at least 3 new ones. I would look to move on some of what we have already and sort a brand new unit.  

Not ideal mid season but what we have is so completely dysfunctional I don't see another option. 

Struggling to get a point at home means things aren't good. Are they so bad that we might go down? No, but a season in the bottom half is now the most likely scenario. The rebuild looks like it has failed badly. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

We look lethargic as a team and lacking confidence. Teams like that are always relegation threatened. Bruce's priority should be to keep us in the Championship this season because we look like relegation candidates right now. 

• Like 1

A team who doesn't press the ball in midfield and just allow the opposition to bring it forwards and pass at will are always going to be in trouble. 

I wonder if this is what Bruce was alluding to talking about lack of fitness -  that they are just too tired to press,  personally I just think it is laziness and they are not prepared to put in that dirty hard work. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I have witnessed two relegations to the second division in my lifetime - 1967 and 1987.

The first time our problems were so fundamental that we slipped down a further division before recovering our top league status. Eight seasons later. The second time GT Mk 1 managed to turn the squad round quickly and we only had to spend one season out of the top flight.

Must say at present this is feeling much more like 1967 than 1987.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I have witnessed two relegations to the second division in my lifetime - 1967 and 1987.

The first time our problems were so fundamental that we slipped down a further division before recovering our top league status. Eight seasons later. The second time GT Mk 1 managed to turn the squad round quickly and we only had to spend one season out of the top flight.

Must say at present this is feeling much more like 1967 than 1987.

I think it's somewhere between the two. This squad is not so low on quality that it is a relegation squad to the next level down (old div 3). It's just weak in parts and massively lacking in confidence. GT took a worse squad and got it up, but we don't have a GT calibre manager right now, so as at the start of the season, I think we'll end up somewhere round the middle of the table - 10th to 14th ish.

What's really needed is stability. it's just been change after change after change. At some point you have to stick with a manager and staff and let them do their thing. You cannot go on fighting crocodiles all the time, at some point you have to drain the swamp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I think it's somewhere between the two. This squad is not so low on quality that it is a relegation squad to the next level down (old div 3). It's just weak in parts and massively lacking in confidence. GT took a worse squad and got it up, but we don't have a GT calibre manager right now, so as at the start of the season, I think we'll end up somewhere round the middle of the table - 10th to 14th ish.

What's really needed is stability. it's just been change after change after change. At some point you have to stick with a manager and staff and let them do their thing. You cannot go on fighting crocodiles all the time, at some point you have to drain the swamp.

Sounds like 'too good to go down' ?

Just now, Richard said:

Sounds like 'too good to go down' ?

IMO, yes, that's exactly right. If, IF, Bruce can just work out the best side, get them organised and fitter, they'll be safe. There are 3 worse sides than Villa in this league and while I wouldn't have picked him, there are at least half a dozen worse managers.

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've never believed a club is too good to go down

Forgive my impertinence, but do you believe Man City and Spurs are too good to go down this season? I suspect that deep down you'd probably admit they'll manage to stay up.

A glib comment maybe, on my part, but some teams are too good to go down. One of the "problems" with the perm is that the top 6 or top 6 are basically about 90% predictable every year. Arsenal, Manc City, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs - these clubs are not in any danger of relegation. They have money, good managers, good players, good support....

Villa needs to get back to that situation.

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

we went from one of worse teams in Premier League history to one of worse teams in Championship history :lol:

Don't think we are one of the worst teams in Championship history... Yet!!

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Forgive my impertinence, but do you believe Man City and Spurs are too good to go down this season? I suspect that deep down you'd probably admit they'll manage to stay up.

A glib comment maybe, on my part, but some teams are too good to go down. One of the "problems" with the perm is that the top 6 or top 6 are basically about 90% predictable every year. Arsenal, Manc City, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs - these clubs are not in any danger of relegation. They have money, good managers, good players, good support....

Villa needs to get back to that situation.

No I don't mean those clubs,. I mean those that are in amongst the relegation places that get described as too good to go down 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

No I don't mean those clubs,. I mean those that are in amongst the relegation places that get described as too good to go down 

Ah, right, gotcha, so apart from the clubs you consider too good to go down, you don't think any other club is too good to go down :P

Â