Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

I wonder if this is what Bruce was alluding to talking about lack of fitness -  that they are just too tired to press,  personally I just think it is laziness and they are not prepared to put in that dirty hard work. 

Didn't garde or sherwood or one of our other recent managers complain that players just weren't fit enough.... Have a feeling it was Garde.

But seeing as we've replaced a lot of the squad and the fitness coach... How would this be possible?

Surely they've been working at fitness since last year now. I could understand if they were demotivated and lethargic towards the end of last season but right now there should be no excuses about why the team isn't giving 100% physically or mentally

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I have witnessed two relegations to the second division in my lifetime - 1967 and 1987.

The first time our problems were so fundamental that we slipped down a further division before recovering our top league status. Eight seasons later. The second time GT Mk 1 managed to turn the squad round quickly and we only had to spend one season out of the top flight.

Must say at present this is feeling much more like 1967 than 1987.

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. 

• 2 months later...
Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I know there is an 11 point cushion but given how inept performances have been lately and the inability to secure signings I am slightly worried. If Kodjia gets injured at the AFCON then things might go south very quickly.

Ridiculous overreaction. We're not going down or up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I know there is an 11 point cushion but given how inept performances have been lately and the inability to secure signings I am slightly worried. If Kodjia gets injured at the AFCON then things might go south very quickly.

Don't be ridiculous, Kuwabatake Sanjuro-san

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Ridiculous overreaction. We're not going down or up.

This.

Last 3 seasons, 41, 42 and 45 points would keep you up. Bottom end looks pretty weak this year compared to most and we already have 35 points with 20 games to go.

• Like 1

It may be a slight overreaction but the team just got outclassed by a poor Wolves team, and is in terrible form for a good while. If it wasn't for a few moments of brilliance from Kodjia and Grealish's goal against Wigan then they would have been a lot closer to the bottom. Very lucky win against Burton too, Villa aren't any better than the relegation candidates at the moment.

An 11 point cushion might be just enough if new signings don't materialise quickly.

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It may be a slight overreaction but the team just got outclassed by a poor Wolves team, and is in terrible form for a good while. If it wasn't for a few moments of brilliance from Kodjia and Grealish's goal against Wigan then they would have been a lot closer to the bottom. Very lucky win against Burton too, Villa aren't any better than the relegation candidates at the moment.

An 11 point cushion might be just enough if new signings don't materialise quickly.

I'd happily put money on it that we finish further from relegation (in terms of points) than we currently are now - forget actually going down.

It's easy when you pick and choose. We went to Brighton and could've easily hammered them and they're supposedly one of the best. We won at Reading, one of the form teams. Haven't lost a single game at home.

Edited by kurtsimonw

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd happily put money on it that we finish further from relegation (in terms of points) than we currently are now - forget actually going down.

If Hourihane and Lansbury are signed asap I'd agree but I'm worried if we are stuck with the majority of this dross for the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Am I the only one worried that the teams recent performance levels would be amongst the worst in the league then?

You should be the only one. 

Knowing this forum, you probably aren't, but you should be. 

• Like 2

I'm not going to backtrack much more but after a tough game against Preston next week (a much better team than Villa at the moment) the fixtures are Bristol, Brentford, Forest and Ipswich. Failure to pick up a couple of wins there will leave us in a tough situation. Maybe the thread should be closed until then,

10 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I'm not going to backtrack much more but after a tough game against Preston next week (a much better team than Villa at the moment) the fixtures are Bristol, Brentford, Forest and Ipswich. Failure to pick up a couple of wins there will leave us in a tough situation. Maybe the thread should be closed until then,

No, even that wouldn't leave us with *that* much of a tough situation. We basically need 2 wins and 4 draws, or 3 wins and a draw, to be pretty much safe from relegation. We're an awful lot closer to 'safe' than you seem to realise. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, even that wouldn't leave us with *that* much of a tough situation. We basically need 2 wins and 4 draws, or 3 wins and a draw, to be pretty much safe from relegation. We're an awful lot closer to 'safe' than you seem to realise. 

Exactly. Put it this way, Villa picked up 9 points in the last 20 games last season. Anyone who seriously thinks we're dropping a division, spending £50m and not at least equaling that is mental. Even more so when you consider Bruce has picked up 25 points in 15 games.

Â