Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

Posted (edited)
On 01/03/2024 at 22:38, imavillan said:

Photo credit that place formally known as twitter

Witton Lane sometime in the 80's

There used to be a good chippy in the row of houses just behind from where the photo was taken

spacer.png

But...but....but.... How could they POSSIBLY have developed Witton Lane stand with all those houses next to it?  How could a skinflint like DE possibly have afforded that when tickets prices inflated to todays prices were about 1/3 of what they are now.

It's surely impossible and no one in their right mind would attempt it.

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

A great picture of social history and the old Trinity.

back in the day when you had to queue for hours and hours for tickets.

Season ticket holders, programme stubs.

Some of our fans will have no idea about this 🥴🫢😀

edit: i remember queuing many a time for long hours.

I'm probably in that queue somewhere.

Started queuing by the Holte End thinking that I'd never make it to the ticket office before they had sold out. Luckily I did and enjoyed a great day at Wembley.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

I'm probably in that queue somewhere.

Started queuing by the Holte End thinking that I'd never make it to the ticket office before they had sold out. Luckily I did and enjoyed a great day at Wembley.

Yes, me too with all the tokens I'd cut out of the programmes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, me too with all the tokens I'd cut out of the programmes.

Same here.

It used to break my heart having to destroy the programmes I’d carefully looked after. Cutting the corner off on the back page🥴

It was worth it though just to get a ticket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

My heart just broke again.  That stand.  😭

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, imavillan said:

Remember being in a similar queue in 1977 for tickets for the League Cup Final v Everton. .......times have certainly changed!

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

Remember being in a similar queue in 1977 for tickets for the League Cup Final v Everton. .......times have certainly changed!

Probably spend more time on the phone to the ticket office than you would in that que 😜 

• Haha 2

On 01/03/2024 at 22:38, imavillan said:

Photo credit that place formally known as twitter

Witton Lane sometime in the 80's

There used to be a good chippy in the row of houses just behind from where the photo was taken

spacer.png

I read recently that this was the same original Witton Lane stand shown here, it just had the rolling barrel roof replaced. Is that right?

villaparkpast2.jpg 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I read recently that this was the same original Witton Lane stand shown here, it just had the rolling barrel roof replaced. Is that right?

villaparkpast2.jpg 

No, the original stand was bigger than the all seater that replaced it, with standing on the lower level and seating on the level above that, like the old Trinity. 

The Black-And-White Years: Cracking Vintage Photos Of Aston Villa's Villa  Park Between 1932-1969 | Villa park, Aston villa, Manchester united

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2024 at 15:01, John said:

No, the original stand was bigger than the all seater that replaced it, with standing on the lower level and seating on the level above that, like the old Trinity. 

The Black-And-White Years: Cracking Vintage Photos Of Aston Villa's Villa  Park Between 1932-1969 | Villa park, Aston villa, Manchester united

I don’t think that’s right.  The roof was replaced first.  Then the stand was reprofiled a few years later for the World Cup.  Externally, from Witton Lane, the stand was the same except that the grey cladding came down from roof level down to cover some of the brick work.  Although I’ve never actually seen a picture from the road side of the stand when it had the barrel roof.  Anyhow the impact of that stand lives on.  Because Ellis technically extended it, it is the reason the current stand is too long compared to the pitch and makes wrapping into the Holte and North Stands so impractical and awkward.

3 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I don’t think that’s right.  The roof was replaced first.  Then the stand was reprofiled a few years later for the World Cup.  Externally, from Witton Lane, the stand was the same except that the grey cladding came down from roof level down to cover some of the brick work.  Although I’ve never actually seen a picture from the road side of the stand when it had the barrel roof.  Anyhow the impact of that stand lives on.  Because Ellis technically extended it, it is the reason the current stand is too long compared to the pitch and makes wrapping into the Holte and North Stands so impractical and awkward.

The picture was taken in 1963. The one below in 1966, after it had been made all seater. Yes, the roof was replaced before the standing was taken out, but the work done before the World Cup was what really changed that stand for me. I think some photographs were posted earlier of the work being undertaken.   

1966 World Cup at Villa Park: 14 incredible photos of fans & players

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Th best 2 supporters in the fanbase

Erica Rowe.jpg

You are a day late for international womens day! ;) 

Anyway...

36d22b5a0dec492c2b745b05e16833b4.jpg

On 09/03/2024 at 15:56, Xela said:

You are a day late for international womens day! ;) 

Anyway...

36d22b5a0dec492c2b745b05e16833b4.jpg

I knew her Brother...Its Maria Stevens....Miss Aston Villa at the time.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Th best 2 supporters in the fanbase

Erica Rowe.jpg

Erica Rowe forgot about her. You don’t get any of them to the pound corrrrr

• Like 1

Â