Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Can't believe really with a vastly wealthy new owner who has nearly £1/2 m loose change sitting in a bank account, is friends with the President of China, and aims to make us one of the top 3 clubs in the world, that we are apparently looking at Di Matteo or Pearson as our manager.

Seems a bit of a modest beginning.

We are in the championship. Who do you want? Remember, we are in the championship. 

9 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

Alan Nixon on twitter still insisting that Pulis is in with a shout, say's he'd be interested too. 

:trollface: hahaha good one wills. You're messing around again right?......... Right? 

Also, can anyone think of any big name managers that have actually joined championship teams in say the last 10 years???

The biggest (and I say biggest in relation to the division) is probably Alladyce going to West Ham as far as I can think? It's not like good/successful managers regularly drop to the championship. 

Everyone talks about the championship being a tough league where you need to fight and muscle your way through if you want promotion - well Pullis could do that for us I think. Won't be sexy but if our Dr Tony is ambitious, he'll just sack him the following year and get someone better in.

Honestly moyes was my choice but forget him, if he doesn't want to come I'd rather have someone who wants to be proud to manage us. Pearson or rdm it is then, whoever it is out if the two will get my full support even Pearson who comes across as abit if clown. But if he can sort these losers out then he will be a ledge to me.

• Like 3

Southampton

West Ham

Stoke

Everton

West Brom

Crystal Palace

Bournemouth

Sunderland

Burnley

Middlesboro

Are the teams in the Premiership who Moyes potentially might get a crack at managing in the next 6 months, I cannot see him going back to Everton so out of the rest in terms of size of the club there really is only Sunderland or possibly Southampton because of their set-up.

Its a strange one, did he not know we were in the Championship or was this just a case of reminding clubs he is still available.

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Everyone talks about the championship being a tough league where you need to fight and muscle your way through if you want promotion - well Pullis could do that for us I think. Won't be sexy but if our Dr Tony is ambitious, he'll just sack him the following year and get someone better in.

Thing is, the Championship isn't what it's cracked up to be. Yes it'll be tough to get out of but pundits talk about it as if it's a top quality league full of hardened warriors - it's not. Pretty football isn't a priority but we don't have to go to the opposite extreme and get a dinosaur like Pulis either.

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Thing is, the Championship isn't what it's cracked up to be. Yes it'll be tough to get out of but pundits talk about it as if it's a top quality league full of hardened warriors - it's not. Pretty football isn't a priority but we don't have to go to the opposite extreme and get a dinosaur like Pulis either.

It's also given bad press as a league.  There's some cracking teams down there - but the individual player quality isn't as high.

Moyes really thinks he is still Billy Big Time does he not? I always thought that he would not drop down a division to manage us because he still thinks the PL is the place for him. I think he planned to string us along until a better offer came along. So with RDM having talked to Lazio I guess the field is down from three to one as long as Pearson is not put out by having been kept waiting by us in the same way Moyes tried to do to us..   

• Like 1

Whilst we have to be realistic and accept we are in our lowest ebb for time, there are still positives. I am sure managers will be looking at coming to us as a fantastic opportunity. Arguably the biggest club in the division, we have the facilities, fan base and potential financial backing which is a massive pull. IF whoever comes in acts and spends wisely getting us back to the Prem first attempt he'd be adored and it would sit very pretty on their CV. To be honest Moyes can do one. His career has been in decline since he left Everton. Admittedly his job at Man Utd was going to be difficult but he didn't exactly cover himself with glory. If he feels Villa in the Championship is beneath him we have dodged a bullet. Your stocks low mate and I've had enough of Villa having to drag people to this club like we did with Micah and the likes. Get a manager who wants to be here and feels it isn't beneath him then rid of the players who don't feel the same.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's also given bad press as a league.  There's some cracking teams down there - but the individual player quality isn't as high.

Is it? if anything I think it's massively over-hyped. I get the impression that some English pundits genuinely believe it's among Europe's elite.

The roller coaster that is Aston Villa is in full flow! Take over we are going up, talk of Moyes taking over as manager we are still going up, then the drop after he rules himself out, bigger drop when Pearson is now the front runner. We are now about to pass through the house of horrors! #$@#$ Pulis where is my vomit gif!!!

223635494c84aa3425c9dbc0466d728d.gif

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Is it? if anything I think it's massively over-hyped. I get the impression that some English pundits genuinely believe it's among Europe's elite.

Over-hyped in what way?  You get all kinds of comments about how you need "hardened pros" and "sluggers" in the Championship - as if it's some Sunday League kick-in-the-shins fest.  It's just not at all.

Quite a lot of recently promoted teams - Swansea, Southampton, Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester, Crystal Palace, and even Burnley and Reading to an extent - played really good stuff in getting promoted and staying in the Premier League in some cases.

No-one believes the league is "in Europe's elite" - but I reckon it's probably at a very similar standard to the Eredivisie or Primeria Liga, withholding a couple of notable teams in the latter, and probably has more money involved in it overall.

• Like 2