Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Interestingly there have been a lot of Leicester fans on the radio for obvious reasons and the question they get asked a lot is "How much credit does Pearson take".

Everyone I have heard said he deserves a lot however he had no plan B and they needed more tactical nous to push on.

Yes that just about sums it up

Since Black has quite obviously not enjoyed his tenure as acting manager I would suggest its for the best all round if he not part of any new backroom staff assembled by our new manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

or they could jump ship as champions before they ruin it next season by finishing 10th

10th in the Premier League.  You haven't forgotten that the other ship in this discussion is us have you?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Since Black has quite obviously not enjoyed his tenure as acting manager I would suggest its for the best all round if he not part of any new backroom staff assembled by our new manager.

He hasn't enjoyed it?

And the rest of us have?

31 minutes ago, BOF said:

10th in the Premier League.  You haven't forgotten that the other ship in this discussion is us have you?

Meh ..How many European cups have Leicester won

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Since Black is quite obviously not a manager I would suggest its for the best all round if he was not part of Aston Villa any longer

Fixed a few points there

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think many people, if any, have suggested Pearson is an awful manager.

Just that he'd be an awful appointment.

There's a difference.

How is there a difference? If he is a good manager- what would he do that would make him an awful appointment?  Surely a good manager by definition does more good things than bad things?

Sorry mate- not buying this one!

is it just his personality that you don't like? If so I get this and that's fair enough, as I have also stated before I think he is an objectionable person at times.

but I very clearly believe he is right for our club in this moment.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think many people, if any, have suggested Pearson is an awful manager.

Just that he'd be an awful appointment.

There's a difference.

Great way of putting it that. 

Its exactly where I am with him. Don't think he's an awful manager by any means. I do think he as personality 'issues' and I don't think he's the right man for Villa at this time. 

I think appointing him would be a mistake and he wouldn't last a season IMO. Don't think he'd handle the pressure well at all. 

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Great way of putting it that. 

Its exactly where I am with him. Don't think he's an awful manager by any means. I do think he as personality 'issues' and I don't think he's the right man for Villa at this time. 

I think appointing him would be a mistake and he wouldn't last a season IMO. Don't think he'd handle the pressure well at all. 

I can see your point of view, however do you not agree that people can learn from their mistakes, then change, adapt and move on? I feel  fairly confident that Pearson will have used this season for a period of reflection.

for me personally I honestly believe that his managerial CV makes him an ideal candidate for the Villa at this moment and if it wasn't for off-pitch antics, he would be so much more universally appealing to the masses.

i'm not white washing him, far from it- but as I said people can and do change.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I can see your point of view, however do you not agree that people can learn from their mistakes, then change, adapt and move on? I feel  fairly confident that Pearson will have used this season for a period of reflection.

for me personally I honestly believe that his managerial CV makes him an ideal candidate for the Villa at this moment and if it wasn't for off-pitch antics, he would be so much more universally appealing to the masses.

i'm not white washing him, far from it- but as I said people can and do change.

That's a fair point, people can and do change and you're right about the off pitch antics. 

It's just my opinion, but there's something off about him. We need someone to unite and galvanise us, a big character, but the right kind. He's too combative with fans and media for me. 

Whatever happens with the sale of the club, whether we spend £2m or £25m on the team, a lot of fans will expect at least a play off place next year. It's going to be a high pressure job, don't think he's up to it. I'm not sure the football he gets his teams to play is much cop either to be fair (although that's a lesser concern, just winning games would be nice!)

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

How is there a difference? If he is a good manager- what would he do that would make him an awful appointment?  Surely a good manager by definition does more good things than bad things?

Sorry mate- not buying this one!

is it just his personality that you don't like? If so I get this and that's fair enough, as I have also stated before I think he is an objectionable person at times.

but I very clearly believe he is right for our club in this moment.

It's obvious that a good manager can still be a bad appointment. 

Benitez at Chelsea for example. Ranieri as Greece manager? Or Clough at Leeds United would be the most famous one.

You said yourself that managers have to be the right fit. I think that Pearson, despite being a decent manager (emphasis on decent as he's nothing special), would be an awful fit for our club. Hence it would be an awful appointment.

I don't know how many times I've explained that I and others aren't just dismissing Pearson because of his personality. I can't be bothered to repeat myself again.

Edited by Stevo985

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

That's a fair point, people can and do change and you're right about the off pitch antics. 

It's just my opinion, but there's something off about him. We need someone to unite and galvanise us, a big character, but the right kind. He's too combative with fans and media for me. 

Whatever happens with the sale of the club, whether we spend £2m or £25m on the team, a lot of fans will expect at least a play off place next year. It's going to be a high pressure job, don't think he's up to it. I'm not sure the football he gets his teams to play is much cop either to be fair (although that's a lesser concern, just winning games would be nice!)

I completely agree with you about uniting and galvanising the club- from top to bottom I might add, and this is where I say and sorry for repeating myself, that Pearson can and will change and learn from the negative experience of last season. Should this be the case I don't see how he can't take this current shambles forwards- just my view 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Benitez at Chelsea for example. Or Clough at Leeds United would be an even more famous one.

You said yourself that managers have to be the right fit. I think that Pearson, despite being a decent manager (emphasis on decent as he's nothing special), would be an awful fit for our club. Hence it would be an awful appointment.

I don't know how many times I've explained that I and others aren't just dismissing Pearson because of his personality. I can't be bothered to repeat myself again

look Stevo all you have done here is to pick on a couple of examples of where things went wrong to boost your argument. I could easily flip this on it's head if you want and point out Steve Cotterill who started like a house on fire at the beginning of his managerial career  and look at him now. At the end of the day it's all about opinions and this is what makes the game great.

i like him, you don't - that's a fair one :-)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Benitez at Chelsea for example. Ranieri as Greece manager? Or Clough at Leeds United would be the most famous one.

I don't know how many times I've explained that I and others aren't just dismissing Pearson because of his personality. I can't be bothered to repeat myself again.

Ranieri for Greece was a compete disaster. He ruined us. 

for me 2 things will happen

a. the "takeover" will drag on into the start of next season and we dont appoint anybody tit then which makes us a laughing stock

b. Randy panics and hires another idiot like a Dowie or a Holloway to take over and we become a laughing stock

23 hours ago, Mantis said:

We're a graveyard for managers. I think Garde might buck the trend though of former Villa managers fading into obscurity.

We are a graveyard for managers, but that's mainly due to us being the pinnacle in the careers of people that were out of their depth to begin with.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

for me 2 things will happen

a. the "takeover" will drag on into the start of next season and we dont appoint anybody tit then which makes us a laughing stock

b. Randy panics and hires another idiot like a Dowie or a Holloway to take over and we become a laughing stock

a) wont happen. Even Lerner is not that thick. and b could happen but I highly doubt it will be nay of those you mention. Its likely to be Pearson which isnt my first choice but isnt a bad choice either