Jump to content

Next Manager/ Season


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That's some solid intel. Getting excited now for chinese masters, moyes and an epic summer transfer window replacing 15 players by hoovering up every bit of talent in the division.

Bring it on! I'd be a very happy man in this scenario, hope it happens soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You think he's a good fit.

I don't.

Let's leave it at that.

That means nothing- like I have said all you say is he is an awful fit. 

but fair enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, Dave J said:

That means nothing- like I have said all you say is he is an awful fit. 

but fair enough.

 

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I will refrain from posting against you in this thread going forward.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

With this particular topic Stevo- you bring nothing to the table- other than " awful fit" but now I am done.

He's a word removed, being introduced into a dressing room full of words removed. It's a recipe for disaster. Other than "he's hard" or "he doesn't take shit", there's zero evidence he's in anyway prepared to combat the pricks we have playing for us.

He doesn't have his backroom staff.

He's a walking PR disaster, at a time when we have a dressing room and club full of ready made PR disasters. Again, it's a recipe for disaster.

He has a mostly ordinary managerial record, not one good enough to turn us around, imo. Certainly no better than a good handful of other managers out there who would come without the baggage that Pearson has.

He's not used to working with the structure we currently have, or are rumoured to be getting with the new owners.

There you go, there's a few reasons (all of which I've already posted in the thread several times each). Knock yourself out.

 

Out of interest, why do you think he'd be a "good fit"?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's a word removed, being introduced into a dressing room full of words removed. It's a recipe for disaster. Other than "he's hard" or "he doesn't take shit", there's zero evidence he's in anyway prepared to combat the pricks we have playing for us.

He doesn't have his backroom staff.

He's a walking PR disaster, at a time when we have a dressing room and club full of ready made PR disasters. Again, it's a recipe for disaster.

He has a mostly ordinary managerial record, not one good enough to turn us around, imo. Certainly no better than a good handful of other managers out there who would come without the baggage that Pearson has.

He's not used to working with the structure we currently have, or are rumoured to be getting with the new owners.

There you go, there's a few reasons (all of which I've already posted in the thread several times each). Knock yourself out.

 

Out of interest, why do you think he'd be a "good fit"?

1. Baseless abuse.

2. Untrue and irrelevant

3. As good as others and qualified for the job here.

4. Almost non-existent

5. Who is ? (rumoured to be getting with the new owners ????  The ones we don't even know who they are //!! Presumably they and their chosen guy whoever it is would be happy with said structure, why should that bother us in advance ?)

If you want to stop having to explain, stop saying it !!

Some of us are as sick of rebutting it as you are of saying it !

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Walsh was on Goals on Sunday this morning, not the highly rated one, but the old Leicester centre back one, and he thinks Pearson would be the ideal man for us. 

Ive not really had much of an opinion on this so far, but I'd say Pearson would get us out the Championship, and stabilise us, which is what we want. I couldn't see him long term though. In fairness he has been credited with laying a great foundation at Leicester, and they have a fantastic structure, but he has a glass ceiling as a manager. 

The long term choice for me would be Moyes, he could build something here and has a massive point to prove. A big bonus for Moyes over Pearson for me too is the fact he could get together his first choice coaching staff, which is something that cannot be underestimated. 

Ideally I want Moyes and ambitious Chinese owners. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter

See @Dave J

Terrytini is sick of me saying it! I told you I'd explained myself 100 times.

Terry

1. Not baseless. See much discussed incidents (strangling opponent players for no reason, telling his own fans to **** off and die etc etc blah blah blah). That, imo, makes him a bit of a word removed. If you disagree then fine, but my reasoning certainly isn't baseless.

2. Clearly not untrue. See several PR incidents when he was Leicester boss. 

3. Not as good as others. And even if he was "as good", that's actually exactly what I've been saying. He's no BETTER than other managers out there, so why take the risk on such volatile personality?

4. Debateable

5. I'm not sure who is. I was giving reasons why pearson wasn't a good fit. This would be one of them whether it applied to anyone else or not. The rumours were that we were recruiting Comolli as director of football. Thaty's what I was referring to. If there was a manager available who HAD worked under a DoF before then that would make them a better fit.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Why a good fit ?  Like half a dozen others is available and capable.  Nothing more, nothing less, same as others.

Exactly, like half a dozen others, all of whom come without the additional volatile personality and PR bizarreness. Much better options :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit disappointing that there is only a small predictable pool of managers being linked with the job. I'd prefer if there was a bigger net cast to source a potentially special manager rather than the average enough ones being linked.

  • Pearson might well work out decent enough but there are massive risks involved given his personality and has been mentioned apart from doing well in building Leicester he hasn't been anything special.
  • Bruce would be relatively terrible.
  • Mick McCarthy a little better than Bruce.
  • Moyes did brilliantly at Everton but what happened at United destroyed him. His credibility as a man is shot. He needs to take a couple of years more away from football in my opinion to rehabilitate.
  • Hughton would be solid enough but is probably not strong enough to turn things around.
  • Warnock on the level of Bruce,
  • Brendan Rodgers would be potentially very good in spite of the David Brent thing but is more likely to go back to Swansea.

If new owners come in and put in a director of football like Comolli then the manager would not need to be so wrapped up in rebuilding the club and can focus on preparing the football team. In this scenario I'd personally like the manager to be Michael O'Neill.

What he did with Shamrock Rovers was fairly special in getting them to the Europa League group stages and winning their first league title in ages (not as big an achievement given their budget). Northern Ireland too was fairly special. He is tactically very astute and his teams play decent football in general. He is also a very positive individual who would help lift the mood about the place.

The downside would be lack of experience at a high level but under a director of football that would not be as big an issue.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly, like half a dozen others, all of whom come without the additional volatile personality and PR bizarreness. Much better options :)

Apart from a few incidents in his last few months at Leicester when else has he been this so called word removed? I'd class Fergie as having a volatile personality so I don't see that as a negative. Pearson gets credited with getting Leicester in the shape for Raneiri to win the title with them but you don't seem to think he's good enough to sort out our rabble? That is a very strange position but there's a few managers who could do a job here who I wouldn't want just out of a personal dislike for them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

 

  • Moyes did brilliantly at Everton but what happened at United destroyed him. His credibility as a man is shot. He needs to take a couple of years more away from football in my opinion to rehabilitate.

I'm not sure if Moyes is who I want but that is a massive assumption. I don't think his time in Spain can really be used as evidence for this either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Apart from a few incidents in his last few months at Leicester when else has he been this so called word removed? I'd class Fergie as having a volatile personality so I don't see that as a negative. Pearson gets credited with getting Leicester in the shape for Raneiri to win the title with them but you don't seem to think he's good enough to sort out our rabble? That is a very strange position but there's a few managers who could do a job here who I wouldn't want just out of a personal dislike for them. 

Again, you've clearly misread or misunderstood my posts.

I've explained this 100 times and people still ask the same questions.

 

Yes, fergie has a volatile personality. So does Mourinho, so did Brian Clough.

What's the difference between them and Pearson? They are exceptional football managers. They make up for their volatility by being excellent at their job. Nigel Pearson does not. If Pearson was head and shoulders better than other managers out there, I would be backing him and saying it doesn't matter about his personality. But he's not. 

 

I have never said Pearson isn't good enough for our club based purely on managerial ability. What I've said is that he's no better than other managers out there who do not come with that volatile personality that, imo, would be a huge risk with our club in it's current situation.

In short, my argument has been that there are much better choices out there.

Should I make this my signature for the next time someone asks me the same question? I'm fed up of people claiming my position is based purely on a personal dislike for Pearson. It's not.

Edited by Stevo985
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again, you've clearly misread or misunderstood my posts.

I've explained this 100 times and people still ask the same questions.

 

Yes, fergie has a volatile personality. So does Mourinho, so did Brian Clough.

What's the difference between them and Pearson? They are exceptional football managers. They make up for their volatility by being excellent at their job. Nigel Pearson does not. If Pearson was head and shoulders better than other managers out there, I would be backing him and saying it doesn't matter about his personality. But he's not. 

 

I have never said Pearson isn't good enough for our club based purely on managerial ability. What I've said is that he's no better than other managers out there who do not come with that volatile personality that, imo, would be a huge risk with our club in it's current situation.

In short, my argument has been that there are much better choices out there.

Should I make this my signature for the next time someone asks me the same question?

That's fair enough but his managerial record is good enough for what we need but you always seem to call him a word removed which negates your view of his ability. I look forward to you singing his name when we get promoted!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

That's fair enough but his managerial record is good enough for what we need but you always seem to call him a word removed which negates your view of his ability. 

Did you even read the post you quoted? I've just addressed this.

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

I look forward to you singing his name when we get promoted!! 

As I keep saying, he'll get a clean slate if he's appointed just like every manager. I was singing Sherwood's name when he got us to the FA Cup Final despite being vehemently against his appointment and being currently of the opinion that he's the worst manager the club has ever had.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I'm not sure if Moyes is who I want but that is a massive assumption. I don't think his time in Spain can really be used as evidence for this either.

I struggle to think of another manager that suffered as much ridicule a him in that season (mainly from scum like PP) and although the job was a poisoned chalice he could not have done a worse job there. (Van Gaal has gone close but does look like leaving them in reasonable shape with the youth brought through). It wasn't just the results though it was the losers mentality he had there like talking up the likes of Liverpool and aspiring to get up to the level of Man City.

Going to Spain after that was the right decision but he didn't succeed there either. He might rebuild his career somewhere but this shambles of a club is not the right environment for him to do so. Villa need someone to come in and bring massive positivity to the place, there may be some initial optimism with Moyes but if it starts bad and he goes into derby games talking up SHA that could change quickly.

The positives for him though are that he was excellent at recruitment of players on a budget and gets his teams well organised in defence and attack. Maybe that is all that is needed but for me there are risks of it turning sour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â