Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've picked a couple of real life examples to support my argument?

Whatever next?!?!

The examples you quote Stevo are very untypical and I don't see how you can compere them to pearson's position. Benitez to Chelsea should not have happened given their history. Cough to Leeds neither given what he had said beforehand. Both destined for failure but not based on footballing reasons. Not sure where your going with Ranieri mind. He was on thin ice before Greece.

may I ask what has Pearson in your view, done or indeed not done during his last two active seasons as a manager that make you believe he would be an " awful" appointment?

i would have thought his professional achievements put him right up alongside the likes of Sean Dyche or Quique Sanchez Flores, two managers who in my opinion and quite rightly so have been getting a lot of plaudits for the work they are doing( except in the Watford corridors of power it would appear).

2014 promoted as champions with 102 points. 2015 a very credible 14th in the premier league. A position that I believe any club promoted from the championship would take as a first season finish.

if these credentials arent enough to get our managers vacancy at this current moment in time, I don't know what are, regardless of who you are.

• Like 1

Look Dave. I've explained myself 100 times.

If you read the last few pages you'll get an answer to your questions. I can't be bothered to keep typing be same stuff over and over.

The bottom line is you think he'd be a good fit. I think he wouldn't.

Simple as that.

I'm not sure why so many people are having so much trouble understanding Stevo's point, one which I agree with.

Regardless of his skills as a manager or a coach, his past behaviour on and off the pitch has shown that not only does he struggle to keep a cool head (something we desperately need), but he uses threats and insults and teeters on the cusp of physical violence.

Considering it appears we have a number of bad apples in the squad, I think getting someone like Pearson in is a really bad idea. Some might think he won't put up with any crap, but I don't think his style of discipline will work on the troublemakers, I think it'll just make things worse and create even more of a divide.

If we do appoint him, the only hope we have is that we get rid of a number of troublesome players and egos, but even then I don't think he'd be a particularly good appointment.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Considering it appears we have a number of bad apples in the squad, I think getting someone like Pearson in is a really bad idea. Some might think he won't put up with any crap, but I don't think his style of discipline will work on the troublemakers, I think it'll just make things worse and create even more of a divide.

That could be the case. The counter argument to that would be though that we had Garde who seemed quite measured in his approach and discipline amongst a number of the players was non-existent. I genuinely couldn't say who would or wouldn't be a good fit to manage this mob.

Bottom line is though that there is no doubt a number of these players will stay and I’d imagine we will do well to ship 10 players out and that may be wishful thinking. However many leave the players that come in to replace them are going to be key as a number of strong no nonsense characters who will put a shift in week in week out are needed in that dressing room to influence others in a positive manor.

52 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I'm not sure why so many people are having so much trouble understanding Stevo's point, one which I agree with.

Regardless of his skills as a manager or a coach, his past behaviour on and off the pitch has shown that not only does he struggle to keep a cool head (something we desperately need), but he uses threats and insults and teeters on the cusp of physical violence.

If we do appoint him, the only hope we have is that we get rid of a number of troublesome players and egos, but even then I don't think he'd be a particularly good appointment.

Remi had a cool head wasn't very successful was it though? I don't care if he has a cool head or not as long as he produces results, that's not just with Pearson but any manager we get. 

I wonder if the end of the month limit has come from our number one choice as manager. ie either appoint me by then or I will assume I am free to pursue other opportunities.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Look Dave. I've explained myself 100 times.

If you read the last few pages you'll get an answer to your questions. I can't be bothered to keep typing be same stuff over and over.

The bottom line is you think he'd be a good fit. I think he wouldn't.

Simple as that.

In terms of having a manager that will get a grip of the players who seemingly don't do not appear to give a shit, Nigel Pearson seems a good fit. But, we have had enough negative press this season - we do not need any more!

For the immediate future at least, we need some calmness to steady the ship. That is where I think Pearson will fail the club. Game after game he spouts all kinds of crazy stuff and the press all know this so will go after him for more crazy quotes. Again, we will be in the press as a laughing stock and that is something the club can do without after what's happened in the last season.

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

:lol:

He's one of the worst managers in the history of the premier league never mind Aston Villa. Surely this is a wind up, he was **** awful from day one and got worse as he went along

It's quite amazing given that this is Villa Talk - but I disagree :D

Edit:  Apart from the "getting worse", that definitely happened.

Edited by bobzy

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's quite amazing given that this is Villa Talk - but I disagree :D

Edit:  Apart from the "getting worse", that definitely happened.

I would describe Remi Garde as the new Arsene Wenger but without any football managerial ability what so ever

I wouldn't let him build lego never mind a football team, if you saw something him then that's fair enough. Personally I couldn't wait for him to go, his appointment must go down as one of the most bizarre appointments

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 17:56, DamsonwoodVillan said:

Total hypocrisy from a lot of fans so nostalgic for the Gregory era!

We had darn good players in those days. Yes his first run when he took over was amazing, but I think it went sour for him quickly when we went from top at Christmas to finishing 6th. 

Villa fans of the time moaned constantly of the dour football Gregory served up, and his ridiculous public spats with Ellis and some of the players. In those days we did truly have a squad that should have done better. He was a big disappointment in the most part for me, but stole the hearts of the fans for being a 'Villa man'.

id rather have a villa man there and underachieve than some dickhead just after a payday and underachieve.......

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I would describe Remi Garde as the new Arsene Wenger but without any football managerial ability what so ever

I wouldn't let him build lego never mind a football team, if you saw something him then that's fair enough. Personally I couldn't wait for him to go, his appointment must go down as one of the most bizarre appointments

Fair enough - that's your view.  I don't think he was that bad at all, and I was actually encouraged to see him develop a plan and way of playing in the early games.  The squad is absolute poison and basically ruined everything for him and us.

Obviously, he played a big part in a season that has seen us get relegated, so can't be heralded as a good manager on the back of that.  I think he'd do well starting again, though.  With a cleared out squad and his 'own' players, I think Garde would do pretty well.  Gut feeling, of course.

I'm actually pretty excited whoever we get in... mainly because I think we'll have a clear out.

Garde was very much out of his depth!

We were in a fighting position to stay up, and with that in mind, we didn't need his calm complacent demeanor. We needed a fire lit under our players and someone with a drive and passion to keep us up. Garde offered none of that what so ever. I'm all for a "classy" manager but it wasn't the time for that.

Would anyone be up for Nigel Adkins? Knows the championship and was quality under Southampton, earning them consecutive promotions from League 1 to the PL. Wasn't a bad manager in the PL, Southampton just wanted to pursue European football and went with a more experienced manager in Pochettino.

Edited by 007√

2 minutes ago, 007√ said:

Garde was very much out of his depth!

We were in a fighting position to stay up, and with that in mind, we didn't need his calm complacent demeanor. We needed a fire lit under our players and someone with a drive and passion to keep us up. Garde offered none of that what so ever. I'm all for a "classy" manager but it wasn't the time for that.

Would anyone be up for Nigel Adkins? Knows the championship and was quality under Southampton, earning them consecutive promotions from League 1 to the PL. Wasn't a bad manager in the PL, Southampton just wanted to pursue European football and went with a more experienced manager in Pochetttino.

That's solely what's portrayed in the media, no?

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's solely what's portrayed in the media, no?

Yes, by many media outlets and the overall perception of him.

I was just stating my thoughts, being new to these forums and jumping in on the conversation.

44 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Should have stuck with Mcleish and given him the chance to build his own squad :(

Just imagine what he could have done with an owner that backed him c. Charles Krulak