Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Which leads many to think those opposed are largely simply against him, for no obvious, justifiable, logical, reason.

I agreed with (and liked) your post, but would like to pick this tiny part for a comment. I suspect that the "reason(s)" are obvious - some posters feel that he is not a particularly appealing character (or worse) based on what they've seen or heard via the media. Which is fair enough, I suppose.

The second point is that it's kind of OK not to want someone for no justifiable logical reason. There are a few managers I can't stand and who I would be appalled by if they were to get the job.

I'd be fine with Pearson, personally. And it's interesting to note that his assistant and mate at Leicester, Steve Walsh has not signed a new contract there, despite being offered, so if Pearson and Walsh were to come to Villa I'd be pleased - I think that would be as good as we could get.  

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agreed with (and liked) your post, but would like to pick this tiny part for a comment. I suspect that the "reason(s)" are obvious - some posters feel that he is not a particularly appealing character (or worse) based on what they've seen or heard via the media. Which is fair enough, I suppose.

The second point is that it's kind of OK not to want someone for no justifiable logical reason. There are a few managers I can't stand and who I would be appalled by if they were to get the job.

I'd be fine with Pearson, personally. And it's interesting to note that his assistant and mate at Leicester, Steve Walsh has not signed a new contract there, despite being offered, so if Pearson and Walsh were to come to Villa I'd be pleased - I think that would be as good as we could get.  

Agree generally, and definitely in respect of the Bold bit - I don't want Harry Redknapp and could give all sorts of reason why but its really just that I cant stand him !  There must be a place in football for unthinking bigotry !

• Like 1

Well I can only speak for myself, but I don't think Pearson would be a good fit with our current crop of players. He's shown aggression and unprofessionalism on more than one occasion and I can't see that being a positive when dealing with the likes of Gabby, Bacuna, Lescott, Richards and perhaps a few others. It'd be different if we wind up shifting most of them on in the summer, but we don't know if that's going to be the case at this point.

His record, taking into account his whole managerial career and not just the last couple of months last season with Leicester or his one promotion with them, isn't bad but nothing special either.

I don't agree with the name-calling and I've heard the stories of his supposed altruism, I even have a good friend who is a Leicester fan who thinks highly of him, but I can only judge him by what I've seen and my gut instincts.

As I said, if he gets the job I will support him and there are plenty of worse candidates, I just think there are better ones too, such as Hughton who is my realistic first choice.

Edited by Ginko

I don't want Pearson, personally, as a don't particularly rate him as a manager. As a coach? Maybe, but not a the main manager.

However, I don't want us to be picking a manager, on how they or will not handle our current crop of players. 

We need to be planning for the future, and they biggest part of that, is to get some of these bad attitude players out of the club completely. Not to plan on how we have to manage them.

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

I don't know, it's not like we gather together every month for an 'Anti-Pearson Moot'. 

I suspect everyone has varying reasons as to why they don't want Pearson. The point I was making is that I don't know why it's so hard for some to understand why some fans don't think he'd be a good fit for Aston Villa.

I guess its just as hard for pro Pearson posters to not understand your view.

If "pro" is the right word, more "acceptable candidate"as Terry eloquently described in his post.

In my personal case it is most definately "Pro".....He is my first choice.

Edited by TRO

Regarding Pearson I have seen many people saying that his bullying nature has not been a good tactic at Villa in the past with Kean,  Culverhouse and Karson however those bullying accusations (Culverhouse and Karson) were by all accounts based around bullying younger weaker members of the squad. I have not heard ANYTHING about this being Pearson's style. 

His antagonism seems to be aimed at pillocks and time wasters which is not only a different kettle of fish to what we had before but is unquestionably needed to sort out the bad eggs we have everywhere. Most of his ex players seem to have only respect and good things to say about him so I don't think that particular argument can be used against Pearson with any validity 

While I have absolutely no care in who our next manager is, at least until we get a new owner, I will say that I don't think anybody outside of this thread has accused Pearson of bullying his own players. Being a disagreeable arse, yes, impatient with and vindictive to journalists, yes, quick-tempered and lacking in judgement, yes, but not actually bullying his own players. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Pearson wouldn't be my first choice.

but i was encouraged by ranieris comments yesterday. He said when he came in to Leicester the friendship, team spirit and work ethic between all the players was already fantastic.

Pearson instilled that. He can't take credit for the title win obviously. But he left ranieri a squad that ran through brick walls for each other.

and right now I'd give my left bollock for that at Villa.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

i see paul lambert is free again. rumours have it that his name was being sang around the ground yesterday. lambert has my vote.

If we get Lambert back then I am done with Aston Villa

• Like 4

After seemingly keeping Sunderland up let's go for Big Fat Sam , that's quite an amazing achievement as they were possibly the only team worse than us in that league.

hes brought teams up from the championship and established them in the premier league , the perfect choice ....and we can fire him in 3 years time and replace with a more attractive footballing style manager once we are established 

• Like 1