Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I think the disaster of the last year has allowed me to put Paul Lambert's time in some more perspective, and I'm grudgingly prepared to admit that it was probably a bigger feat than it seemed at the time keeping this shower of shit in the league. So, I guess, 'thanks' for that. 

Nevertheless, I would never ever ever ever ever ever want to see him here again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

i see paul lambert is free again. rumours have it that his name was being sang around the ground yesterday. lambert has my vote.

You back on the drugs?! 

Pearson for me. He laid the foundations at Leicester. the training methods, the fitness regimes etc. Obviously Ranieri has taken it on to the next level but he had a good base to work with. I want Pearson to do that at Villa and once that is in place we can move him on for a better manager to progress us.

Fat Sam is another option I like. Even if he kept Sunderland up, I still think he'd join us. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Pearson had a squad capable of winning the league and almost managed to relegate them :P 

I know, it's incredible really.  Ok he has experience of getting promotion but lots of managers do and then do comortally better in their first season in the Prem.  I don't understand how he can be people's first choice.  Hopefully we get some big money-bags owners who set their sights a bit higher than a struggling Premier League manager like Pearson.

I'm not saying he should be manager for the next 10 years, I'm saying as a short term move, he has recent experience in turning a club round and getting them promoted (as do a few others). Once promoted, we hire someone more suitable. Pearson is the obvious choice as he is currently out of work.

Would Ranieri have put the current structure in place at Leicester and got them promoted out of the Championship? Probably not IMO but he has done a marvellous job in progressing the job Pearson started. That's what I want to see at Villa. Step 1 - get out of the championship using a manager who has done it before. Step 2 - appoint a new manager once in the Premier League to move us forward. 

I can't understand why people just assume that if you want Pearson, you want him to be manager forever. Its about doing a specific job for us

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

It's all well and good saying Lambert didn't get us relegated, but I guarantee he would have this season without Benteke or Delph.

Whilst that's true, and if he'd have stayed we'd have probably been relegated last season, I would bet my house on him doing better this season than Sherwood and/or Garde.

• Like 1

Guest av1
9 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

It's all well and good saying Lambert didn't get us relegated, but I guarantee he would have this season without Benteke or Delph.

The lambert arguments have been done to death and i certainly wasn't a big fan. That said, i think Lambert would have spent the resulting £50m much more wisely than Sherwood did in the summer. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm not saying he should be manager for the next 10 years, I'm saying as a short term move, he has recent experience in turning a club round and getting them promoted (as do a few others). Once promoted, we hire someone more suitable. Pearson is the obvious choice as he is currently out of work.

Would Ranieri have put the current structure in place at Leicester and got them promoted out of the Championship? Probably not IMO but he has done a marvellous job in progressing the job Pearson started. That's what I want to see at Villa. Step 1 - get out of the championship using a manager who has done it before. Step 2 - appoint a new manager once in the Premier League to move us forward. 

I can't understand why people just assume that if you want Pearson, you want him to be manager forever. Its about doing a specific job for us

If pearson gets us promoted and finishes 14th in the first season back in the premier league with more than 40 points I would be over the moon

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's an unbelievably big "if"

It's a big if for anybody accepting to manage our joke of a club. 

Guest av1

I think expectations will make the new managers job very difficult indeed. Whilst i don't wont to cross over threads with the promotion thread, and obviously a lot will depend on business over the next few months, i simply don't see anything other than a difficult season next year, yet a lot of fans/media etc will expect us to be challenging. 

Its going to take a pretty special bloke to sort this mess out whilst dealing with (imo) the unrealistic expectation of promotion. Similar to post Fergie UTD, i think the next blokes task is almost impossible. 

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think the disaster of the last year has allowed me to put Paul Lambert's time in some more perspective, and I'm grudgingly prepared to admit that it was probably a bigger feat than it seemed at the time keeping this shower of shit in the league. So, I guess, 'thanks' for that. 

Nevertheless, I would never ever ever ever ever ever want to see him here again. 

You've got no worries on that score as I would hazard an informed guess he thinks the same 

I've been living in Wetherby for about a year now and I've just found out from my next door neighbour that Jimmy Lumsden lives on the same road as me. He is David Moyes' first team coach that he takes to all his clubs including Everton and  Utd. It's funny coz I've seen him out jogging and said hi in passing but never knew who he was.

Anyway my next door neighbour is a Glaswegian also and befriended him years ago. He told me today that Jimmy recently told him that Moyes is still very much in the frame for Villa.

i reckon it's between Moyes and Pearson. We're just waiting for the takeover to happen and for them to see who they gel with.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

i reckon it's between Moyes and Pearson. We're just waiting for the takeover to happen and for them to see who they gel with.

If that's the case then my guess would be takeover happens = Moyes, takeover doesn't happen = Pearson

On 6 May 2016 at 09:28, Stevo985 said:

Look Dave. I've explained myself 100 times.

If you read the last few pages you'll get an answer to your questions. I can't be bothered to keep typing be same stuff over and over.

The bottom line is you think he'd be a good fit. I think he wouldn't.

Simple as that.

With due respect Stevo- I don't think you have explained yourself other than repeating that you think he is " an awful fit". However I also fully respect your right to this opinion also.

very much a case of agree to disagree me thinks. I will refrain from posting against you in this thread going forward.

cheers.

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I know, it's incredible really.  Ok he has experience of getting promotion but lots of managers do and then do comortally better in their first season in the Prem.  I don't understand how he can be people's first choice.  Hopefully we get some big money-bags owners who set their sights a bit higher than a struggling Premier League manager like Pearson.

I am truthfully shocked. Pearson took the foxes to a very credible 14th position following promotion. If the season had gone on longer, probably even higher. I fundamently believe any promoted manager would snap your hand off for a 14th place finish before a ball is kicked in anger.

52 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

I've been living in Wetherby for about a year now and I've just found out from my next door neighbour that Jimmy Lumsden lives on the same road as me. He is David Moyes' first team coach that he takes to all his clubs including Everton and  Utd. It's funny coz I've seen him out jogging and said hi in passing but never knew who he was.

Anyway my next door neighbour is a Glaswegian also and befriended him years ago. He told me today that Jimmy recently told him that Moyes is still very much in the frame for Villa.

That's some solid intel. Getting excited now for chinese masters, moyes and an epic summer transfer window replacing 15 players by hoovering up every bit of talent in the division.

• Like 1