The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, cyrusr said:

they probably know the game is up, the only way they vote is how they best save their own seat. 

That would produce more Tory rebels than previously by a big margin. Not that JRM will vote the same way as his constituents want., there's a few more of them too.

There's a few major Tories that could go in the next Election. JRM, Elmer Fudd and even Johnson himself isn't in that safe a seat

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

That would produce more Tory rebels than previously by a big margin. Not that JRM will vote the same way as his constituents want., there's a few more of them too.

There's a few major Tories that could go in the next Election. JRM, Elmer Fudd and even Johnson himself isn't in that safe a seat

Now that would be hilarious.

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

Johnson's performance seems unlikely to win over any waverers.  Sometimes bluster, sometimes halting and stammering, sometimes a bit pantomime, quoting lines from the Mekon's briefing note, and not in keeping with the gravity of the situation.

And his argument, if you can call it that, is that it would have been possible to negotiate a better deal but for the position being taken by parliament.  Kind of "and I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids".

I dunno , an hour ago I couldn't see how he could win  , but  I don't think the oppositions have smashed it out the park with their arguments, and he might have stammered his way to convincing a few of the rebels ..   I thought he also showed Swinson that he can knock an open goal in the back of the net if you give it to him

but i've no doubt others are seeing it very differently :)

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I dunno , an hour ago I couldn't see how he could win  , but  I don't think the oppositions have smashed it out the park with their arguments, and he might have stammered his way to convincing a few of the rebels ..   I thought he also showed Swinson that he can knock an open goal in the back of the net if you give it to him

I never know how much you can read into things in the commons. You get asked a question and if you don't want to respond to it you don't have to, just engage in a game of "whataboutery". It's like a posh/non-rap version of the final scene from 8 mile.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought his threat to deselect mp's was very risk. It looks likely he will go to country on Corbyn V No deal Brexit  - after his high stakes of this week he can't seriously claim he could pull a deal from the EU with a big majority ? 

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The fact anyone has to convince anyone that No Deal is bad idea is an abhorrent failure of both our education system and political system. 

Says as much about our inability to rid ourselves of tribalist tendencies. Detail is irrelevant. To No Dealers we are simply "The Enemy". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Just to check, has Bercow definitely confirmed the SO24 debate? 

Would be a pretty fun curveball, if he said there are no grounds for it and it didn't happen. 

Yes, Debate starting about now iirc and voting approx 21:30, it's a few pages back in this thread, todays events have caused many posts since then

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:
1 hour ago, snowychap said:

I just wonder whether there might be a few unforeseen rebels? It's unlikely, I know, but I wouldn't be totally surprised.

"Set your course for the Hoth system!" 

"General, prepare your men."

"Mr Stevens,  prepare my penne all'arrabiata' "

Â