The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Apart from them, is anyone going to vote for it? I can't see Labour whipping for it. And it's hard to see a Johnson hard pivot that way. Although it would give him a way out...

I know they can vote for more than one thing, doesn't this suggest more than just another option?

Labour MP - and Brexit supporter - Kate Hoey says if the bill is passed it would "humiliate this Parliament".

She also says it would be "sending a signal to all those people who voted to Leave that we know best, that we are being arrogant".

She argues that her own party will face the consequences when there is a general election

Is it wrong to assume they know best? I'd like to think they are the key fact holders. 

I'm sure they will know a lot more than most people that voted in the referendum. 

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know they can vote for more than one thing, doesn't this suggest more than just another option?

If it's an amendment then it gets added to the legislation. So if the legislation passes then the amendment passes with it into law.

So if either main party whips in favour of it than it suggests it would probably pass. 

Penny to see Theresa May's internal monologue if that ever happened...

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

So if Boris says in no circumstances will he go to the EU for an extension and the vote tomorrow blocks No Deal ... let’s say he resigns .. what happens next ? 

It'd inevitably be a GE, surely? I can't imagine him resigning this soon though.

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If it's an amendment then it gets added to the legislation. So if the legislation passes then the amendment passes with it into law.

So if either main party whips in favour of it than it suggests it would probably pass. 

Penny to see Theresa May's internal monologue if that ever happened...

I'm sorry but I don't see how you get to all that.

I understand what an amendment is and what happens if it gets accepted.

My point was that this lot laying down an amendment might indicate that they weren't going to vote for the actual motion.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I'm sorry but I don't see how you get to all that.

I understand what an amendment is and what happens if it gets accepted.

My point was that this lot laying down an amendment might indicate that they weren't going to vote for the actual motion.

Sorry, I'm with you now. 

Yes. I agree.

Johnson won't resign, his ego wouldn't allow it. He'll do whatever he can to either ignore or displace the blame for whatever his climb down would end up being. Point the finger at Parliament and stoke up the populism for all it's worth.

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

So if Boris says in no circumstances will he go to the EU for an extension and the vote tomorrow blocks No Deal ... let’s say he resigns .. what happens next ? 

Seriously?

Someone else is appointed by HMQ to try and form a government.

Just now, Paddywhack said:

Sorry to be a bore, but could somebody explain to me in layman’s terms what the buggering hell is happening? I’m so confused.

Stick the news on, vote result coming in any moment

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Sorry to be a bore, but could somebody explain to me in layman’s terms what the buggering hell is happening? I’m so confused.

Parliament is voting to take control of what is put forth to Parliament, ultimately with the aim of bringing forward a bill that will attempt to force the government to only exit with No Deal if Parliament agrees to it. Amongst other things.

Edited by Chindie
  • Thanks 1

Â