The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So out of interest. Is there anybody here that thinks BJ is doing the right thing?

There might be someone here that thinks he is.

They're going to be in a vanishingly small minority.

For what it's worth, no. He's not. Showing contempt for Parliament by suspending it at such a crucial time, and then attempting to gaslight the country that he's done nothing out of the ordinary, all as part of a game of brinkmanship with the country's future and appeasement of an extreme wing of his party that threatens it's future existence, which he appears to value more than anything else, is not the right thing for a Prime Minister to do.

Or anyone with the tiniest amount of a conscience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

If you listened to him give his submissions, he basically flat out calls him a liar. They also say that the reason that they wanted a sworn affidavit/statement from him is so they if/when he is found to have been lying, he could be done for perjury and/or contempt of court. 

Would be great if Cummings has f****d this up.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So out of interest. Is there anybody here that thinks BJ is doing the right thing?

He got the top job and went over for a meeting with the EU big boys about Brexit. After that meeting there was literally nothing new to feed back, therefore its obvious he has nothing new to offer them and they're not flinching. His "renewed enthusiasm" is worth the square root of f-all.

It means there's zero chance of him doing any better than TM did. Its either her deal, or no-deal. There is not going to be any kind of breakthrough because if there was, we'd have heard about it by now.

3 years and still at the first step pretty much, all changing the PM has done is burn up more time.

The annoying thing is, it was obvious to everyone that going to the EU with nothing to offer (enthusiasm aside) was not going to deliver a palatable deal for the UK.

Need to stop pussy footing about, the Brexit that a lot of people voted for doesn't exist. Its impossible. So we need to crack on with clearing up the mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

For a thicko like me, what's wrong with this?

The only way for an election now, is for a 2/3 majority (I think) to vote for it. The PM can set the date, then move it themselves.

So it seems like what Labour is saying, is Paul Brand says, that they either trust the election date will be 14th October OR they can get an extension during the campaign.

I think neither. Focus on stopping No Deal then worry about an election. Whilst the momentum is with us.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The only way for an election now, is for a 2/3 majority (I think) to vote for it. The PM can set the date, then move it themselves.

So it seems like what Labour is saying, is Paul Brand says, that they either trust the election date will be 14th October OR they can get an extension during the campaign.

I think neither. Focus on stopping No Deal then worry about an election. Whilst the momentum is with us.

Well, it is known the PM could change the election date, and I believe I've heard both Labour and Tory MPs today recognising that Johnson is no more to be trusted with this than with anything else.

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

are you sure the momentum is with remain , a few people chanting "stop the coup" is nice and all that but Boris is banking on 17.4m votes , assuming they haven't all died ... 14m is usually enough to win a majority ,

51 minutes ago, Genie said:

The annoying thing is, it was obvious to everyone that going to the EU with nothing to offer (enthusiasm aside) was not going to deliver a palatable deal for the UK.

You forgot energy.  As well as enthusiasm, I gather they offered energy, which in this case seems to be the dissipation of more energy for no noticeably different product.

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

are you sure the momentum is with remain , a few people chanting "stop the coup" is nice and all that but Boris is banking on 17.4m votes , assuming they haven't all died ... 14m is usually enough to win a majority ,

To clarify, when I say us, I mean people who are against No Deal which is comfortably the majority.

12 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It's party interest before national interest and he's chasing his own unicorns again.

They're literally as bad as each other.

Its Corbyns Interest then party interest  ,   surely ?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

Â