The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

To clarify, when I say us, I mean people who are against No Deal which is comfortably the majority.

Ah ok , can't really argue with that  ...

though i might try :P 

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The only way for an election now, is for a 2/3 majority (I think) to vote for it. The PM can set the date, then move it themselves.

Vote of no confidence with simple majority, and no new Government formed in the 14 day period.

"A notwithstanding the fixed term parliament act..." piece of legislation which again would just need a simple majority. But they won't introduce that as it's fully amendable. So the others can attach whatever "no to no deal" amendments they want and the legislation would go through with them attached. 

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Vote of no confidence with simple majority, and no new Government formed in the 14 day period.

"A notwithstanding the fixed term parliament act..." piece of legislation which again would just need a simple majority. But they won't introduce that as it's fully amendable. So the others can attach whatever "no to no deal" amendments they want and the legislation would go through with them attached. 

I thought Corbyn said he would be temp PM to call an election in the event the Govt lost a VONC  , so either way we'd get an election, wouldn't we ?

The problem with this, is that the government have done it so it can't be discussed in parliament, or even if it was, they would just ignore it. That argument simply reinforces what the government is doing is wrong... 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought Corbyn said he would be temp PM to call an election in the event the Govt lost a VONC  , so either way we'd get an election, wouldn't we ?

All roads lead to an election, as they have pretty much since May failed to get a large enough majority at the last one.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

He'd only be PM if he were asked to try and form a new government (after resignation or sacking of existing PM).

Edited by snowychap

Just now, snowychap said:

He'd only be PM if he were appointed to the role.

Ah Ok i kinda assumed they  ( the rebel alliance ?  ) had agreed that ... but presumably whoever they put in temp charge would have to call an election ?

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Ah Ok i kinda assumed they  ( the rebel alliance ?  ) had agreed that ... but presumably whoever they put in temp charge would have to call an election ?

Not enough of non-labour bods agree to him being PM; hence the government of national unity falls down. Talk was of Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman but even then that wasn't agreed IIRC. The problem that the rebel alliance is that they appear to be unable to agree on a way froward, save for this legislation. That could be what actually saves the government. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I've got an unpleasant sinking feeling that the vote tonight might fail.

I was looking at voting for the Spelman amendment which I think is the closest indicator of how it might go ? (dunno , i could be very wrong here ?)

17 Tory rebels on that vote , but that doesn't count Cabinet ministers (at that time)  ..i.e Hammond  , who voted with the government and will now change

5 labour / independents voted with the govt

18 abstained

I can't see how the Govt can win tbh  ..other than self-preservation kicking in for some Tory MP's 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

other than self-preservation kicking in for some Tory MP's 

another of the many problems with the current mess.

The general public have been very critical of the Tory's acting in their own interests rather than that of the UK as a whole. Fear of deselection for saying what you feel is the right thing to do in a huge, huge moment in this countries history is unacceptable.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

another of the many problems with the current mess.

The general public have been very critical of the Tory's acting in their own interests rather than that of the UK as a whole. Fear of deselection for saying what you feel is the right thing to do in a huge, huge moment in this countries history is unacceptable.

Yet the Government have spun it that those rebelling are acting in their interests, or the EU's, against the national interest.

It's maddening.

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can't see how the Govt can win tbh  ..other than self-preservation kicking in for some Tory MP's 

The threat of deselection seems to have hardened some of them in opposition to Johnson, I suppose on the grounds outlined by people like Hammond (member all my life, not going to have my party taken away by swivel-eyed zealots etc).

Â