The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah but doesn’t HMQ have to go to someone in the Tory party as government is in session ? So would it ordinarily be the deputy PM , a role which has been vacant since 2015 ?  Thus I’m trying to work out who it would be 

No. If the PM resigns (or if the PM is sacked by HMQ), the person most likely to command the confidence of the House of Commons should be the person to be asked to form a Government.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

No. If the PM resigns (or if the PM is sacked by HMQ), the person most likely to command the confidence of the House of Commons should be the person to be asked to form a Government.

Isn’t that if he was forced out via a vonc etc ?

if he resigned I thought  it passed down within the party ... I say this as it was reported that David Liddington would have become PM had May resigned during the last session

4 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Either way he looks bad, weak or desperate.

Give May her due, she wasn't stupid enough to make such an idiotic threat

It was never going to happen, no government I'm ever aware of would deliberately remove their majority in such a way and now they don't even have that majority

They might as well tell the DUP to do one now as well

The government will lose the vote tomorrow as well, I think, albeit probably by a slightly smaller margin. They have no leverage here; the threat to deselect MP's is hollow because there were too many of them, and there is safety in numbers. It would have been quite possible to have a big fight about deselecting two or three MP's, but 21 is more than 5% of the parliamentary party. If they drop the deselection threat, the margin of defeat would likely be larger. Hard to see how they could win, and since they can count as well as anybody else the assumption should be that the government are happy to lose tomorrow and go into an election campaign blaming Labour for 'blocking Brexit'. 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

It was never going to happen, no government I'm ever aware of would deliberately remove their majority in such a way and now they don't even have that majority

Apparently Leadsom was off-message and they are out. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

They might as well tell the DUP to do one now as well

Yep, it was a stupid thing to do, a noose around the neck.

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Isn’t that if he was forced out via a vonc etc ?

if he resigned I thought  it passed down within the party ... I say this as it was reported that David Liddington would have become PM had May resigned during the last session

Sorry, I may have misread or misunderstood your question.

No, it isn't 'passed down within the party'. The position of PM, in as much as it's the person asked to form a government, is something that happens by way of the Monarch asking them to form the government.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Guto Bebb on the BBC basically saying nobody can trust a word that comes out of Johnson's mouth. Which is obvious, but it's something to hear that coming from an MP about his own leader.

(former leader)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Apparently Leadsom was off-message and they are out. 

Excellent news. I was worried for a moment there Boris the Gonk might actually do the intelligent thing and rescue his party. But no he seems intent on destroying it , not very good at this persuading lark is he? I rather thought that was the point in being career politician.

• Like 1

Â