The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

UKIP and Tory MEP's Go Brexit. Labour and Plaid keep their 1 MEP each.

Brexit Party - 271,404 - 32.5% - Two MEPs - Nathan Gill and James Wells
Plaid Cymru - 163,928 - 19.6% - One MEP - Jill Evans
Labour - 127,833 - 15.3% - One MEP - Jackie Jones
Lib Dems - 113,885 - 13.6%
Conservatives - 54,587 - 6.5%
Greens - 52,660 - 6.3%
UKIP - 27,566 - 3.3%
Change UK - 24,332 - 2.9%
(Rejected ballot papers - 5,655)

Seems the only 2 places in Wales without the Brexit Party topping the polls were Gwynedd and Ynys-Mon (Who unsurprisingly voted Plaid) Brexit taking second in each (about 1000 behind in Anglesey, 11,000 odd behind in Gwynedd. Plaid ran them close in Carmarthenshire - the other traditional Plaid stronghold. Here in Cardiff Labour in 4th behind the Lib Dems and Plaid. Though compared to most of the rest of the country it was a fairly close run thing

Brexit Party - 21,077
Lib Dems - 20,799
Plaid Cymru - 20,047
Labour - 17,297

The Labour heartlands are not happy. Seriously.

Edit - To correct myself, it was 3 places (Out of 22). I think Ceredigion was the other (Also Plaid and also West Coast Plaid country)

Edited by VILLAMARV

20 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Heidi Allen: Change UK 'down but not out'.

:crylaugh:

The Lib Dems have finished slightly behind Labour in four regions so far. In each one, the addition of CHUKTIG votes would have seen the Lib Dems finish ahead. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

**** hell, even the tories beat Tommy McFlurry Robinson

Lost his £5k deposit as well apparently. I'm sure there'll a court case / fundraiser along shortly to cover it though.

• Haha 1

If the interviewee weren't Anne Widdicombe, you'd swear that she was on something.

But it's Anne Widdicombe, so it's safe to assume it's just standard.

It's like someone being talked off a ledge because they think the clouds have stolen their pastie.

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

**** hell, even the tories beat Tommy McFlurry Robinson

Just to add a bit more detail to that:

Humiliated Tommy Robinson sneaks out of election count early

On a European election night when the Brexit party dominated across the UK, perhaps the most eye-catching story in North West England was the humiliating drubbing suffered by the anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson.

Having claimed for weeks to be on the crest of an international movement – one that elected Donald Trump in the US – the man whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon had expected to “walk into Brussels like Connor McGregor” upon his election.

In the end, Robinson won only 2.2% of the vote – losing his £5,000 deposit – and sneaked out of the election count in central Manchester barely an hour after he had arrived. He tried to put a brave face on it, claiming the establishment had “arranged and organised” for him to be banned from social media to scupper his election bid, but it was a resounding defeat for the founder of the English Defence League.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Not seen all of the analysis but surely despite the headline figure for the Brexit party, this looks quite a decent result for remain doesn't it? 

Yeah but it won't get nearly the same airtime. Seems to show how divided the nation is

Roughly it's

40% Pro-Brexit

40% Pro-Remain

20% Undecided/Voting for who they always vote for

Edited by Mozzavfc
Formatting

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Not seen all of the analysis but surely despite the headline figure for the Brexit party, this looks quite a decent result for remain doesn't it? 

I think it does, but I’m wondering (in my layman way) whether there were a high proportion of would be brexiters who didn’t vote because “we shouldn't even be involved in these elections” or some similar view.

• Like 1

If last night proved anything beyond doubt for even the most optimistic, it's that this is far from over and whatever ultimately happens, it's going to be messy and nasty.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KHV said:

The general public should be banned from voting.

Is something I've heard countless times over the last 3 years and highlights one of the real problems facing our society. The thing that gets me most about this is it has surprised me where I've heard it. It's always 'punching down'.

For me we need more transparency and honesty from those in power. It's easier it seems for people to point at thicky instead.

• Like 3

saw that the Brexit party smashed it in wyre forest, read the comments below...people have voted for a party with no manifesto and what looks the case for several people with no knowledge of what they've just voted in, some people seem to think that nige is now negotiating Brexit

I don't know if people are being lied to or are so passionate (and angry) about what they believe that they are wrapped up in a bubble and aren't listening to or even care to understand what is actually happening, the danger of that is that "proper" political parties cant compete, the reality is none of the parties represent the majority of people any more and they're all pretty useless but if you're up against a party that promises 1 thing, with no clear outline as to how it will be achieved and no actual power to achieve it anyway then the games rigged, sensible opposition to that is gone

• Like 4

From the Ashcroft polls link:

Who voted for whom?

More than half (53%) of 2017 Conservative voters who took part in the European elections voted for the Brexit Party. Only just over one in five (21%) stayed with the Tories. Around one in eight (12%) switched to the Liberal Democrats. Labour voters from 2017 were more likely to stay with their party, but only a minority (38%) did so. More than one in five (22%) went to the Lib Dems, 17% switched to the Greens, and 13% went to the Brexit Party.

For all the success of the Lib Dems in these elections, only 69% of their 2017 voters stuck with them: 13% switched to the Green Party and 7% backed the Brexit Party. Nearly seven in ten 2017 UKIP voters (68%) switched to the Brexit Party, with just under a quarter (24%) staying put.

To look at the question from the other end of the telescope, two thirds (67%) of the Brexit Party’s vote came from 2017 Tories, 14% from 2017 Labour voters and one in ten from former UKIP voters. The biggest single chunk of Lib Dem support in the European elections came from 2017 Labour voters (37%), with 31% coming from previous Lib Dems and 24% coming from 2017 Conservatives.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â