The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Seems opposition parties are putting together a motion to legislate against no deal.

If it is being done with the support of the Labour front bench I'd be curious to know what stopped them from backing Joanna Cherry's amendment from April which did the exact same thing.

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If it is being done with the support of the Labour front bench I'd be curious to know what stopped them from backing Joanna Cherry's amendment from April which did the exact same thing.

Corbyn's name is on it.

Presumably having their pants pulled down in the time since sharpened minds a little.

I suppose there might also be an argument that it could pressure the new Tory leader to call an election by effectively forcing them to face the same parliamentary maths logjam but without a hardball out making them feel even more necessity to change the numbers.

Edited by Chindie

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Seems opposition parties are putting together a motion to legislate against no deal.

Haven't we already done that? Isn't it futile because it's the default option

Just now, bickster said:

What has passed before is that the house has quietly mumbled that it doesn't support leaving without a ratified withdrawal agreement.

If a bill were passed along the lines of "if no other legislation confirming an agreed exit mechanism is passed by the house and the UK is due to leave the European Union due to the automatic operation of law in accordance with the Article 50 notification, then the house requires the Prime Minister to revoke said notification and confirm the intention to continue membership of said Union until such time as the house deems otherwise"

Then the default position would change. Assuming the new idiot in charge didn't go against the law.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

As said above, this is seemingly an attempt to actively legislate against the government leaving with no deal. So while the ball would keep rolling and it would inevitably go off the cliff if it wasn't stopped, Parliament would look to make it illegal not to stop it.

• Thanks 1

What it looks like:

D8yfkkIX4AEehMB?format=jpg&name=medium

So it appears to be mischief-making rather than trying to change anything. Scheduled for just after the leadership race is down to the last two, and then tossing a bit of a hand grenade into the middle of their squabble.

7 hours ago, ml1dch said:

What has passed before is that the house has quietly mumbled that it doesn't support leaving without a ratified withdrawal agreement.

If a bill were passed along the lines of "if no other legislation confirming an agreed exit mechanism is passed by the house and the UK is due to leave the European Union due to the automatic operation of law in accordance with the Article 50 notification, then the house requires the Prime Minister to revoke said notification and confirm the intention to continue membership of said Union until such time as the house deems otherwise"

Then the default position would change. Assuming the new idiot in charge didn't go against the law.

The trouble is, if a law were passed that said that “in the event of a ‘no deal’ scenario the Prime Minister must revoke A50” then all that would happen would be that the EU will offer no more deals or extensions and wait for A50 to be revoked by law. 

I personally think that would be a great outcome but I can’t see a majority of parliament stitching themselves up like that. 

Boris Johnson’s Tory supporters are more likely to back a no-deal Brexit, are more right-wing and want less focus on climate change than backers of other candidates, a new survey of party members has found.

Johnson, the frontrunner in the race to succeed Theresa May, also benefits disproportionately from a new influx of members who joined the Conservatives since the 2016 EU referendum.

Of those who backed him, some 45% said they had joined the party in the past three years, according to an academic analysis of a YouGov snapshot of the Tory membership...

... Bale and Webb found that the Tory grassroots are far from representative of the country as a whole, either demographically or ideologically. They are more male, southern, wealthy and white than average voters.

Huff

Brexit: Leaked cabinet note admits UK not ready for no-deal exit on October 31, blowing hole in Boris Johnson leadership pledge

It will take “six to eight months” to build up supplies of medicines for a no-deal Brexit, a leaked cabinet note says – undermining Boris Johnson’s threat to crash out of the EU on 31 October.

The warning says the pharmaceutical industry needs that period of help from the government “to ensure adequate arrangements are in place to build stockpiles of medicines”.

It also says that it would take “at least 4-5 months” to make traders ready for the new border checks that might be required, including incentives to register for fresh schemes.

Indie - Breaking more will be on link shortly

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Major manufacturer going to announce thousands of job loses shortly and put blame on Brexit as they locate. Not sure who atm.

Aye, the Govt aren't being open about who's telling them they're leaving?

Brexit heartland to be hit hard.

Wonder which angle the f***wit press will take when the news finally breaks?

Actually I think you'll find that whatever company it is actually has other issues and actually Brexit is just a nice excuse to cover their arse.

/Everybrexitmentalist.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Actually I think you'll find that whatever company it is actually has other issues and actually Brexit is just a nice excuse to cover their arse.

/Everybrexitmentalist.

Yeah - That might be it?

Unless they can squeeze Corbyn in there too?

Seamus Nevin, chief economist at Make UK, said it would spark “several thousand job losses,” but said a non-disclosure agreement prevented him revealing the name of the company or further details on its plans.

He made the claim as part of stark message to MPs on parliament’s Brexit committee, where he was giving evidence on the impact of a no-deal Brexit on Wednesday morning.

Yahoo Finance. Because nobody else seems to be reporting it. Of course.

Obviously we can ignore this because Seamus Nevin is a dirty infidel Remainer non-believer who gobbles Brussels Euro dollar, has money in Barnier's patented British subjugation whips and wipes his arse with Union Jack toilet paper (made of GOLD) and thus everything he says is easily rejected out of hand the dirty lying liar god save the Queen.

Edited by Chindie

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Major manufacturer going to announce thousands of job loses shortly and put blame on Brexit as they locate. Not sure who atm.

I think you'll find that's project fear.

Any proximity or reference to Brexit is a coincidence.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The trouble is, if a law were passed that said that “in the event of a ‘no deal’ scenario the Prime Minister must revoke A50” then all that would happen would be that the EU will offer no more deals or extensions and wait for A50 to be revoked by law. 

I personally think that would be a great outcome but I can’t see a majority of parliament stitching themselves up like that. 

Lovely stuff. Count me in. 

• Like 2

Â