The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

you would think Labour would have the resources or the contacts to get some decent advice

you'd think someone could explain to them it's not worth losing 30% of your vote in trying to retain 15% of your vote by having a policy that will alienate both ends of the spectrum

it's actually quite worrying they didn't have the competence to see that for themselves

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

you would think Labour would have the resources or the contacts to get some decent advice

you'd think someone could explain to them it's not worth losing 30% of your vote in trying to retain 15% of your vote by having a policy that will alienate both ends of the spectrum

it's actually quite worrying they didn't have the competence to see that for themselves

Seamus and Len don't care. St Jezza does what he's told

1 hour ago, choffer said:

^^poor Dan has copped so much flak today from people not getting the joke. 

Yes, he had to tweet an explanation.  Though since the only people seeing his tweet and criticising him on twitter would be people who are on twitter, and the original meme has been all over twitter for days, that's a bit odd.

The UK and its “corporate tax haven network” is by far the world’s greatest enabler of corporate tax avoidance, research has claimed.

British territories and dependencies made up four of the 10 places that have done the most to “proliferate corporate tax avoidance” on the corporate tax haven index.

The UK ranked 13th on the list, which was published by the Tax Justice Network on Tuesday.

The shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, said the findings showed the government’s record on tax avoidance was “embarrassing and shameful”.

McDonnell added: “The only way the UK stands out internationally on tax is in leading a race to the bottom in creating tax loopholes and dismantling the tax systems of countries in the global south.

Guardian

The power behind Farage - Tax evasion.

Boris Johnson must go on trial for 'lying and misleading' in Brexit campaign, judge orders

Boris Johnson is to go on trial for allegedly “lying and misleading the British public” about the consequences of Brexit.

A judge summonsed the Conservative MP to appear in court after a member of the public launched a private prosecution over claims that the cost of EU membership was £350m a week.

District Judge Margot Coleman threw out arguments by Mr Johnson’s lawyers that the case was a “vexatious” attempt to undermine the result of the 2016 referendum.

A written judgment handed down on Wednesday said: “Having considered all the relevant factors, I am satisfied that this is a proper case to issue the summons as requested for the three offences [of misconduct in a public office]. 

“The charges are indictable only. This means the proposed defendant will be required to attend this court for a preliminary hearing, and the case will then be sent to the crown court for trial.”

Indie

I was expecting it to get thrown out but it appears not.

Should be amusing at least

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Indie

I was expecting it to get thrown out but it appears not.

Should be amusing at least

should have been thrown out , but to be expected  under the current climate and perfect timing for the leadership challenge , wonder who had a quiet word with the judge  :)

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

should have been thrown out , but to be expected  under the current climate and perfect timing for the leadership challenge , wonder who had a quiet word with the judge  :)

It won't shock you but I disagree, it's generally a hard case to prove but in this instance, it was a demonstrable lie, evidence exists that he knew about the rebate, that in itself is enough to prove the case. It isn't the same as Fox an his "easiest deal ever", that's an opinion. Boris told a big fat porky, demonstrably so. He needs to pay for that for the sake of democracy

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It probably won't get any further as it's just a preliminary hearing to decide whether there's a case to answer. I'm sure his figures were based on the hard facts and evidence he had available at the time. If that's the case, I'm sure he'll produce it and the case will be thrown out. No need for conspiracy theories about someone compromising our legal system (unless you can prove that?).

29 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It probably won't get any further as it's just a preliminary hearing to decide whether there's a case to answer. I'm sure his figures were based on the hard facts and evidence he had available at the time. If that's the case, I'm sure he'll produce it and the case will be thrown out. No need for conspiracy theories about someone compromising our legal system (unless you can prove that?).

It has already been decided that there is a case to answer. The preliminary hearing is a formality as far as I'm aware. Johnson's lawyers have already attempted to get the case thrown out, claiming it was vexatious, this has been thrown out by the judge, in the judge's words...

A summary of the official verdict said: "Having considered all the relevant factors I am satisfied that this is a proper case to issue the summons as requested for the three offences as drafted. The charges are indictable only. This means the proposed defendant will be required to attend this court for a preliminary hearing, and the case will then be sent to the Crown Court for trial. The charges can only be dealt with in the Crown Court."

Business Insider

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

you must be new here , there's about 60 billion unproven conspiracies on this forum   .... but I was making more of an observation than an accusation

Incidently the Independent are running an article on how the challenge will make him the next PM ..

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It won't shock you but I disagree, it's generally a hard case to prove but in this instance, it was a demonstrable lie, evidence exists that he knew about the rebate, that in itself is enough to prove the case. It isn't the same as Fox an his "easiest deal ever", that's an opinion. Boris told a big fat porky, demonstrably so. He needs to pay for that for the sake of democracy

you really want the courts to decide what hyperbolic claims are permissible and what are not ?

strange world we live in

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you really want the courts to decide what hyperbolic claims are permissible and what are not ?

strange world we live in

This is no case of hyperbole, Liam Fox's "Easiest deal ever" is hyperbole. This is a case of telling an outright lie, which you knew to be a lie in order to mislead. Yes we really should be prosecuting people in public office for misleading the public, absolutely, 100%. In fact, this should have been prosecuted by the Electoral Commission, it's actually shameful for our democracy that it wasn't and a member of the public has had to bring a crowd-funded private prosecution for a criminal act.

If this is successful some people might learn to tell the bloody truth. How refreshing would that be in the current climate?

Â