The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Remember, if they are to be believed, the very first time this tory cabinet sat together and had a meeting to discuss the basics of what they actually want from Brexit (beyond 'brexit'), was Tuesday of this week.

Tuesday, 19th December, 2017. The first time our government all sat in a room and said, 'right, what it is we're after here?'

It's quite scary if you think about the future these people are going to be shaping for us.

But the answers to that question, if given honestly, would be on the lines of

"I want to be PM and I'm working out how to use this to achieve that"

"I want to secure a few more years writing columns in the Murdoch press for silly money,  so my responses must reflect my master's bidding"

"I want to make the UK a vassal state of the US, and anything that weakens us will help in that respect"

"I want to go for lunch.  A g&t would go down nicely right now"

• Like 3

It says it all that changing the colour of the passport is claimed as some kind of big victory and is actually somewhat sad and scary that some people will lap this crap up.

It also says it all about The Sun that they have campaigned for this rather than campaigning for something meaningful like ensuring workers rights are still protected when we leave.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Mind you, have we calculated the economic effect of all those people now holidaying abroad because they can use a proper coloured passport, when before they would have refused to travel?

I think we need some kind of study to show what will happen.

We could call it, oh I don't know, maybe an "impact assessment" or something?

• Like 1

I literally can't think of a single issue I could give less of a toss about than the colour of our passports. 

I care more about the exact colour of begonia used in the flower display on the only roundabout in a Scottish village I will never ever visit. 

I quite like that we're freeing ourselves from the shackles of these EU bastards and restoring our incredibly fragile national identity, by changing our passports to be the colour of the EU flag. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I believe we can have whatever colour of passport we like anyway.

Resolution of the Representatives of the Governments of the  Member States of the European Communities, meeting within the Council of  23 June 1981 says Hi :wave:

but the passport colour  thing is bollocks I agree

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Brexit 'impact assessment' revelations

Fishing is an industry focused on coastal towns.

Fish is used in fish and chips

Airbus makes planes

Electricity is important.

:crylaugh:

Keep your voice down, imagine if Barnier found those things out?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Resolution of the Representatives of the Governments of the  Member States of the European Communities, meeting within the Council of  23 June 1981 says Hi :wave:

but the passport colour  thing is bollocks I agree

Croatia.

I hate this whole narrative that it's going 'back' to how it was. It's so insular and backwards thinking. Next we'll be longing for the good old days when we had the death penalty and imperial units.

Ah.

Edited by StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I hate this whole narrative that it's going 'back' to how it was. It's so insular and backwards thinking. Next we'll be longing for the good old days when we had the death penalty and imperial units.

Ah.

that's kinda flawed  , Support for the death penalty in some polls only dropped below 50% for the first time in 2015 ....

For the first time ever, support for the death penalty in the United Kingdom fell below 50%. In 2014, 54% of surveyed Britons supported the death penalty "for some crimes". This question was asked as part of the yearly British Social Attitudes survey. In 1983, when the annual survey began, support for the death penalty in the United Kingdom was at 75%. (British Social Attitudes, March 26, 2015)

it's declining but clearly some people (mainly old I'd imagine ) are in favour of it  , presumably for certain crimes and not stealing a loaf of bread  ...It's not really a Brexit issue other than they added the word Brexit it to the question .... Had we not been leaving the EU and they asked the questions , they'd probably have got a similar result

I amazed smoking in pubs isn't higher tbh on both sides

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

that's kinda flawed  , Support for the death penalty in some polls only dropped below 50% for the first time in 2015 ....

it's declining but clearly some people (mainly old I'd imagine ) are in favour of it  , presumably for certain crimes and not stealing a loaf of bread  ...It's not really a Brexit issue other than they added the word Brexit it to the question .... Had we not been leaving the EU and they asked the questions , they'd probably have got a similar result

I amazed smoking in pubs isn't higher tbh on both sides

But they asked Remainers and Brexiteers the same question, 20% to 53%. It's about the type of people who supported each direction. It's very specifically about Brexit.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

Â