The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

From the Beeb article:

Damian Collins, MP and chair of the digital, culture and media select committee was not impressed.

"Facebook responded only with regards to funded advertisements to audiences in the UK from the around 470 accounts and pages run by the Russian based Internet Research Agency, which had been active during the US Presidential election.

"It would appear that no work has been done by Facebook to look for Russian activity around the EU referendum, other than from funded advertisements from those accounts that had already been identified as part of the US Senate's investigation.

"No work has been done by Facebook to look for other fake accounts and pages that could be linked to Russian-backed agencies and which were active during the EU referendum, as I requested."

• Like 1

I mean, I don't trust Facebook at all, but they also aren't an international crime agency. 

People are welcome to believe what they want, but I think these claims are massively overblown. I'm open to changing my mind in the face of strong, clear evidence of links, but so far we've been long on accusations and short on evidence. 

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, I don't trust Facebook at all, but they also aren't an international crime agency. 

People are welcome to believe what they want, but I think these claims are massively overblown. I'm open to changing my mind in the face of strong, clear evidence of links, but so far we've been long on accusations and short on evidence. 

welcome to the internet  :) 

My view is pretty much  the same as yours  fwiw

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with my highlighting part of the article that was referred to in the tweet you quoted.

Edit: It might pay to respond to what people post rather than go down the 'people are welcome to believe what they want' line.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with my highlighting part of the article that was referred to in the tweet you quoted.

Edit: It might pay to respond to what people post rather than go down the 'people are welcome to believe what they want' line.

Facebook can't actually investigate the source of every single payment they receive. They were asked by the Electoral Commission to investigate, so they used the details of Russian accounts from the previous American investigation. This produced the very small and trivial result that they published, and which Collins is reacting to.  I'm agreeing with some of what Collins said - my point about not trusting Facebook is that I hardly think they're likely to have gone to great lengths trying to find out - but making the point ('they aren't an international crime agency') that they do not have the ability (and shouldn't have the ability) to analyse the sources of wealth of every person who purchases advertising space on their platform. 

My second paragraph is doing no more than acknowledging that I am not omnipotent, and therefore may be proven wrong at a later date, and that obviously plenty of people disagree with me, but nevertheless the way I see the situation is that the efforts by 'Russia' at swaying the referendum are likely to be trivial (especially in comparison with, eg, Robert Mercer). 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My second paragraph is doing no more than acknowledging that I am not omnipotent, and therefore may be proven wrong at a later date, and that obviously plenty of people disagree with me, but nevertheless the way I see the situation is that the efforts by 'Russia' at swaying the referendum are likely to be trivial (especially in comparison with, eg, Robert Mercer). 

Three things.

We are one of the most closely surveilled nations on the globe.

As the Prime Minister, are you publicly pointing the finger at Putin over trivial matters?

The result was pretty close.

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Facebook can't actually investigate the source of every single payment they receive. They were asked by the Electoral Commission to investigate, so they used the details of Russian accounts from the previous American investigation. This produced the very small and trivial result that they published, and which Collins is reacting to.  I'm agreeing with some of what Collins said - my point about not trusting Facebook is that I hardly think they're likely to have gone to great lengths trying to find out - but making the point ('they aren't an international crime agency') that they do not have the ability (and shouldn't have the ability) to analyse the sources of wealth of every person who purchases advertising space on their platform. 

That's a much more enlightening and engaging post than the previous one. Thank you.

10 hours ago, snowychap said:

That's MEP for nearly two decades and seven time failed Westminster candidate Farage?

Don't be hard on him.

He's saying that as a career politician, he holds himself in contempt.  I think it's a cry for help.

• Haha 2

So for someone who hasn't really paid attention to this subject over the past 3 months, what's the general jist of what's happening in simple terms?

Is it "we're still doomed"?

Edited by PieFacE

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So for someone who hasn't really paid attention to this subject over the past 3 months, what's the general jist of what's happening in simple terms?

Is it "we're still doomed"?

Won't happen

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You just missed a great rant from an audience member 

Was it an angry old white guy telling us exactly what 17 million different people all understood one underdeveloped question to mean?

He's on every week as far as I can tell. I presumed it was a running gag, like the auto door sensors not working on Fargo, or Tottingham being the real deal this year.

• Like 2

Just now, tonyh29 said:

That’s the fella 

Not watched it for a while but terrible episode tonight ... 

Yeah, I accidentally watched it last week for the first time in an age and it just felt like the same episode I'd last watched back in the Spring or whenever. There was some ukip tool on there saying Britain First weren't all that bad. So I gave it a swerve tonight as I can't be going down Richer sounds every Friday for a new tv.

Lots of bitter shouty people that can't see another persons point of view, nobody listening, just waiting for their chance to shout and score a shallow point that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. They should all chill and try and be a bit more like me.

Â