The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

36 minutes ago, a m ole said:

But they asked Remainers and Brexiteers the same question, 20% to 53%. It's about the type of people who supported each direction. It's very specifically about Brexit.

Ye - e - es, but age was obviously a huge predictor of Brexit support as well. The figures we have don't tell us whether age or Brexit-support is better correlated with support for the death penalty, and my priors would be that age was better correlated. 

Happy to be proven wrong of course. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ye - e - es, but age was obviously a huge predictor of Brexit support as well. The figures we have don't tell us whether age or Brexit-support is better correlated with support for the death penalty, and my priors would be that age was better correlated. 

Happy to be proven wrong of course. 

I’d say you’re probably spot on, but age is kind of an irrelevance right? more likely to support brexit, more likely to support the death penalty.

22 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’d say you’re probably spot on, but age is kind of an irrelevance right? more likely to support brexit, more likely to support the death penalty.

Yes, I see what you mean and clearly that conclusion is correct, I guess I'm just saying it matters to me what the age profile of those who want to bring back the death penalty is. If it's overwhelmingly the over-75's, that's one thing, but if there's a bulge in support in younger demographics that would be more concerning for me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I hate this wizened crone and everything she stands for.

She has decided to side with the furthest right of the Tory party and is now just playing to that audience. It would be funny and pathetic if it wasn't impacting on the rest of us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

They are.

That's why reality TV stars are more important and aspirational than academics.

they are values pretty much repeated around the world not confined to the UK .. I wish it wasn't so , and I've done my best with my kids to make their heroes people that matter not people that are famous for nothing other than being on TV but I think your opinion is misguided if you think it's a Brexit issue ( seeing as that's the thread it is in)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

Not sure I've ever agreed with Tony twice in an afternoon before (:P) but IMO he's right on this. I've lived in four other countries in my time, and I can't think of any of them where academics were more important than reality TV stars, at least in terms of common acclaim. 

Think this is just a feature of the human condition to be honest. It's not called 'popular culture' for nothing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not sure I've ever agreed with Tony twice in an afternoon before

I'm not even sure I've agreed with myself that many times in one afternoon before :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The tender for producing the new blue contracts will be out soon.

There's every possibility much of the new blue british passport will be made overseas.

I have to admit there's a part of me that would like the blue covers to be made in Poland or somewhere muslamic.

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The tender for producing the new blue contracts will be out soon.

There's every possibility much of the new blue british passport will be made overseas.

I have to admit there's a part of me that would like the blue covers to be made in Poland or somewhere muslamic.

Was a firm in Malta that had the contract , don’t know if that’s still the case ?

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Was a firm in Malta that had the contract , don’t know if that’s still the case ?

Yeah, I haven't looked in too much detail, but for the non security pages and cover it's an EU wide tender to the lowest compliant bidder. New tender out soon, new passports from end 2019.

I don't think I've ever actually paid any attention to the colour of the cover of my passport. Would have been interesting to have had a survey, prior to all this steam, asking people what colour their current passport was.

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

As we would no longer be EU citizens after March 2019, our passports will be invalid for travel. So I assume we'll all have to buy a new passport that year.

They were talking about this on the radio today, there's an assumption that there will be something in place and there have apparently been reassurances from government. I'd hope that we'll get this one right. 

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

they are values pretty much repeated around the world not confined to the UK .. I wish it wasn't so , and I've done my best with my kids to make their heroes people that matter not people that are famous for nothing other than being on TV but I think your opinion is misguided if you think it's a Brexit issue ( seeing as that's the thread it is in)

It's not a Brexit issue. It was in response to a post in a Brexit thread though.

You're right for sure. It's all about tits and teeth these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I haven't looked in too much detail, but for the non security pages and cover it's an EU wide tender to the lowest compliant bidder. New tender out soon, new passports from end 2019.

I don't think I've ever actually paid any attention to the colour of the cover of my passport. Would have been interesting to have had a survey, prior to all this steam, asking people what colour their current passport was.

52% responded that they don't currently possess one ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â