The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

He probably didn't anticipate some of his own campaigning against him  , Boris may be trendy to knock now (maybe always for a lot of people)  , but he did deliver to a degree for Leave  .... I did see  a LSE study showed his impact was far greater than that of Cameron (and Corbyn ) for example  ...

Boris is a winner and always has been.  Even now he'd probably walk a GE if in charge of the Tories, despite his reputation being at an all time low.  As for the referendum, I still wonder how many people were put off by Faisal Islam's shit Paxman impression in that first Sky debate and didn't bother watching any more, just voting with their 'gut' instead.  It was difficult for Cameron to get his point of view across when interrupted halfway through each sentence.  Cameron and Corbyn not sharing the stage didn't help either.

He probably didn't anticipate some of his own campaigning against him  , Boris may be trendy to knock now (maybe always for a lot of people)  , but he did deliver to a degree for Leave  .... I did see  a LSE study showed his impact was far greater than that of Cameron (and Corbyn ) for example  ...

Given which side he was on and the side the majority of the media are on, its hardly a shock is it

Definitely, I think that was a big factor. 

Robert Craig: Why an Act of Parliament Would Be Required to Revoke Notification under Article 50

The possibility of the UK revoking its Article 50 notice is hitting the headlines. The Prime Minister was asked last Monday in Parliament if she had received legal advice that she could revoke the triggering of the Article 50 process. Her equivocal response led many to believe that such advice does indeed exist. Last Tuesday, this blog published an analysis of whether revocation was possible at the European Union level. This post considers the same question from a domestic law point of view. Many similar questions to those raised in the recent Miller litigation are relevant to determining if the Government can revoke the notification under Article 50. This post concludes that as a matter of domestic law, revocation cannot lawfully be attempted without direct authorisation by an Act of Parliament.

...more on link

15 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

gettyimages-531882688.jpg

The OECD has given Brexit, and the wider UK generally, a bit of a kicking today. Brexit they fear will kill off investment, cut the credit rating more and further tank the pound. They also hammer the London focus of the UK and increasing use of zero hour contracts.

They also state a reversal of the Leave vote, unsurprisingly, would have a significant effect on growth.

Brexit, still dumb as ****.

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The OECD admitted that Brexit negotiations were difficult to forecast, and could "prove more favourable" than assumed in its report - boosting trade, investment and growth.

There was a HUGE proviso, at least based on the current position, that it would need " an ambitious EU-UK agreement and a transition period to allow for adjustment to the new agreement".

2 minutes ago, colhint said:

they haven't been right on much with our relationship in Europe over the last 20 years or so have they?

Apparently they’ve come out today and said that we will get a bit of a kicking from fulham on Saturday ... or we could win they just aren’t sure 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The OECD admitted that Brexit negotiations were difficult to forecast, and could "prove more favourable" than assumed in its report - boosting trade, investment and growth.

Leading Brexiteer on the radio last night said that the OECD were the very architects of "project fear" and that so far none of their predictions have come true. Nobody in their right mind should believe a word they say.

Apparently :rolleyes:

Edited by choffer

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Leading Brexiteer on the radio last night said that the OECD were the very architects of "project fear" and that so far none of their predictions have come true. Nobody in their right mind should believe a word they say.

Apparently :rolleyes:

sounds like the bod on the radio was rehashing an old spectator article I read somewhere  ....

I think they are making predictions based on a lot of "what if" assumptions , doesn't mean they can't be right , but equally doesn't mean that usually sceptical people should abandon all process of thought and jump on their words as proof we are ****  ..more so when the OECD themselves ended with a get out of jail caveat

Â