The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Zombie ideas about Brexit that refuse to die

It is fanciful to suppose the UK could survive without a favourable deal with the EU

It is highly likely that the Brexit negotiations will fail, imposing an abrupt shock on the UK economy and ruining relations with its neighbours. This view is condemned by those who insist we must be more positive. That is like advising someone who has just jumped off a building that, if only he thought more positively, he could fly. To understand the state we are now in we need to understand the zombie ideas that hold so many Brexiters in their grip.

Financial Times

• Like 3

I felt like my blood pressure was a bit low yesterday so I looked at the HYS on the Been on the latest Brexit story, the allegedly leaked dinner details.

...I don't know why we need to worry about Brexit. Rhetoric will sort everything.

I watched the Charlie Brooker video on it yesterday, and whilst I know its satire and political whipping, my God..

How and or why people in this country backed the 3 leaders of the leave party (Boris, Gove & Farage) and thought that the turn out was going to be a good one - wow. 

Boris the day after the win "I didn't actually say we will spend £350m on the NHS" - whilst sat in front of the leave bus, with the slogan about the NHS money. 

Gove - "I'm absolutely not going to run for PM, regardless of the vote" - then proceeded to try and run for PM (what an odious looking cretin he is). 

And Farage - "No bullets were fired during this campaign" 

I think I'm still slow clapping for the idiocy. 

• Like 2

I voted remain but it’s obvious the EU has outgrown itself. Tariff free trade and free movement, great. All the other shit, the laws, the red tape, the enormous amounts of money paid in being hoovered up by an unnecessary group of politicians. No thanks.

• Like 2

A significant reason that the market works is the laws and 'red tape'. Without it anyone within the market can make themselves more competitive by not playing by the rules, releasing substandard/less safe/etc products. The market sets rules that all must abide by to sell its wares in it.

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A significant reason that the market works is the laws and 'red tape'. Without it anyone within the market can make themselves more competitive by not playing by the rules, releasing substandard/less safe/etc products. The market sets rules that all must abide by to sell its wares in it.

Absolutely.

When Barnier talks about people learning what being outside the Single Market means, this is just the sort of stuff that he's talking about.

Adhering to internal regulations and demonstrating that everything is up to scratch means that your lorry-load of smoked salmon, Welsh lamb and Cadbury's chocolate goes from country to country unimpeded. Without it, it doesn't. And ends up at a Border Inspection Post for a week while it's tested for quality control.

I'm assuming it's because most people don't remember what exporting and importing looked like before the Common / Single Market, they don't realise that things flow because of those rules and red tape, not in spite of them.

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Adhering to internal regulations and demonstrating that everything is up to scratch means that your lorry-load of smoked salmon, Welsh lamb and Cadbury's chocolate goes from country to country unimpeded. Without it, it doesn't. And ends up at a Border Inspection Post for a week while it's tested for quality control.

Horse-Meat-Burger-Spatula.jpg968731-2137975664.jpg?itok=OGJNHajR

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Horse-Meat-Burger-Spatula.jpg968731-2137975664.jpg?itok=OGJNHajR

So you use that fig to strengthen your argument against EU "red tape", which explicitly says that Fipronil is banned by the EU because of its potential effects, and also stated that it may have been used illegally? 

Image result for okay meme

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So you use that fig to strengthen your argument against EU "red tape", which explicitly says that Fipronil is banned by the EU because of its potential effects, and also stated that it may have been used illegally? 

Image result for okay meme

I'm not aware I even used the words red tape  ?

I used that in response to the argument that "goes from country to country unimpeded. Without it, it doesn't. And ends up at a Border Inspection Post for a week while it's tested for quality control"

in that maybe some quality control wouldn't actually be a bad thing 

yeah I know it's very isolated incidences , but hey this thread is all about using extremes to make a point :)

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

This is terrifying

This is horrific.

"Are you against Brexit? Do you think it won't be a success? SABOTEUR!!!"

Brexit only leads the way for more authoritarianism and we're **** sleepwalking into it.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is horrific.

"Are you against Brexit? Do you think it won't be a success? SABOTEUR!!!"

Brexit only leads the way for more authoritarianism and we're **** sleepwalking into it.

The first line is particularly chilling. "supply me with the names of professors at your establishment who are involved in the teaching of European affairs, with particular reference to Brexit"

So taking down names of anyone who will be teaching about Brexit. That's stasi level stuff.

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not aware I even used the words red tape  ?

I used that in response to the argument that "goes from country to country unimpeded. Without it, it doesn't. And ends up at a Border Inspection Post for a week while it's tested for quality control"

in that maybe some quality control wouldn't actually be a bad thing 

Maybe it would. And maybe the current internal checks aren't rigorous enough. I've no idea, it's evidently not a watertight ship they're running.

But I'll present you with a (virtual) shiny penny if you find me a single person in our Government (or indeed not in our Government) who is arguing that all this is a good idea because it means that there will be more stringent checks on our imports and exports. 

The majority are still at the stage of not even knowing that there will be more stringent checks on our imports and exports.

Just now, ml1dch said:

Maybe it would. And maybe the current internal checks aren't rigorous enough. I've no idea, it's evidently not a watertight ship they're running.

But I'll present you with a (virtual) shiny penny if you find me a single person in our Government (or indeed not in our Government) who is arguing that all this is a good idea because it means that there will be more stringent checks on our imports and exports. 

The majority are still at the stage of not even knowing that there will be more stringent checks on our imports and exports.

tbh I don't really know what anyone is arguing any more ,  so I think your penny is safe

does this guy earn me a (virtual) penny ? he's not actually arguing more stringent checks but he is suggesting it would raise the levels on US imports

EXCLUSIVE: Food will be safer and cheaper in Britain than the European Union (EU) after Brexit, a top global financier has told Express.co.uk.

He told Express.co.uk: “UK importation of food produced in the US can actually raise American food standards while lowering British food costs, increasing our food safety. 

“In other words, we don’t need to lower our existing food standards to trade with the US.” 

Â