The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

We haven't breached any agreement, have we? 

Not yet, no. Frosty the Snowman doing his best to rattle EU cages though. The latest is that jurisdiction of the CJEU should have “no role” in dispute resolution, even though that’s precisely what was in the deal agreed by Frost and passed by Parliament.

So far the EU has smiled and nodded. Patience wearing thin if Ireland’s Foreign Affairs minister (who is quite conservative and usually very diplomatic) is anything to go by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tinker said:

Might be the press pushing this agenda as cheap click bait. A British vessel was impounded for fishing illegally in French waters, which is standard practice. 

More likely mutually beneficial popularity-stoking. Macron has elections next year and being tough with English fishermen is always going to be popular. 

And if there is anything that will make the Tory brain-donors forget about Covid rates and climate nonsense and start waving their flags again, it's a ruck with the French about who gets to do what where. 

There will be a version of this story every three months for the next two decades. 

• Like 1

Well.. Surging power prices (about 45% in my house), the inevitability of inflation rises, guaranteed wage increases stopped (yet again), a lack of freedom of movement (only for Brits, anyone who can drive and is from the EU can come and play), severe supply chain disruptions, meaning less can be bought from the shelves (we're running out of CO2 for beer kegs at an alarming rate apparently) and house prices going up about 30% in the last year just make everything tickety boo for us regular joes, dunnit? 

:) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well.. Surging power prices (about 45% in my house), the inevitability of inflation rises, guaranteed wage increases stopped (yet again), a lack of freedom of movement (only for Brits, anyone who can drive and is from the EU can come and play), severe supply chain disruptions, meaning less can be bought from the shelves (we're running out of CO2 for beer kegs at an alarming rate apparently) and house prices going up about 30% in the last year just make everything tickety boo for us regular joes, dunnit? 

You forgot tax increases :lol: What a time to be a Brit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Enda said:

Not yet, no. Frosty the Snowman doing his best to rattle EU cages though. The latest is that jurisdiction of the CJEU should have “no role” in dispute resolution, even though that’s precisely what was in the deal agreed by Frost and passed by Parliament.

So far the EU has smiled and nodded. Patience wearing thin if Ireland’s Foreign Affairs minister (who is quite conservative and usually very diplomatic) is anything to go by.

Well, I never!

HMG signed up to this a year ago. Now they’ve changed their mind. If Frost really does try and push this one, he’ll start a trade war.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Enda said:

Well, I never!

HMG signed up to this a year ago. Now they’ve changed their mind. If Frost really does try and push this one, he’ll start a trade war.

Think on my friend.

You guys start a trade war and we’ll close our ports to freight trying to get between Ireland and mainland Europe.

Then we’ll see who the really smart people in the room are.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Think on my friend.

You guys start a trade war and we’ll close our ports to freight trying to get between Ireland and mainland Europe.

Then we’ll see who the really smart people in the room are.

That’s a parody, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

5 hours ago, Genie said:

You forgot tax increases :lol: What a time to be a Brit.

I think you're forgetting that we control our own borders now and can sell whatever shaped bananas we want. 

There is just no pleasing some people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice of the French to join us down here in the gutter. 

Edit - although the letter isn't actually as inflammatory as that iffy translation makes it out to be.
Edited by ml1dch

The Brexit bonus just keeps on giving 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59113868

UK steel makers 'left behind' as US ends trade war

The UK has been "left behind" according to steel makers after the US agreed to end a trade war over items that also included whiskey and Harley-Davidsons.

President Biden has signed a deal to end tariffs on steel imports from the EU, which were imposed by his predecessor Donald Trump.

But the agreement does not cover exports from the UK, putting British steelmakers at a disadvantage.

"The substantial competitive advantage that this deal provides EU steel producers over UK ones will undoubtedly result in our export orders to the US market being lost to EU exporters."

Armed men hijack a bus in Belfast, set it on fire, say it’s a protest against the Northern Ireland Protocol. Reuters.

I look forward to the Tories’ stern resolve to never ever negotiate with NI’s terrorists.

Because that’s been their long standing policy. Let’s not forget their reluctance to sit down with the IRA, and their denunciation of the Good Friday Agreement as a surrender.

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

A representative from the supermarket said that the packaging was being changed "immediately".

They said: "The wording on the packaging is an error for which we apologise. We are changing the packaging immediately."

A packaging error, or they did not anticipate the backlash? 

What on earth were they thinking?

Mirror

"We are changing the packaging immediately," its tweet added.

A spokesman for Morrisons said: "It is adhering to packaging regulations rather than making any political point."

The supermarket said it would change the packaging and de-emphasise the mention of non-EU salt and pepper, but said it would still have to be included somewhere on the wrapping because of packaging laws.

According to government guidance on food labelling, the term "non-EU" must be used on meat packaging when full country information is unavailable.

From October next year, following post-Brexit rule changes, this will be replaced by "non-UK".

(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59134190)

While I'm as outraged as the next man about unnecessary appeals to Brexityness, isn't this far more likely to be a disclosure rather than a marketing ploy?

i.e "we can't sell a British salt and pepper chicken without disclosing that the salt and pepper aren't British"

Rather than "you know what will help us sell more chicken? Exclusively targeting the UKIP demographic "

Edit - based on the above, clearly yes.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

This ain't Morrisons first rodeo. They knew what they were doing and what their intention was. 

I am not outraged by it though, if they want to do that and they know it works for them, so be it. 

Edited by Seat68

Â