The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

39 minutes ago, colhint said:

Scenario 2  We want a deal with south America, we want to sell them machinery and technology the want to sell more livestock and coffee. We say, ok 25 other countries say ok, but one says no. deal off for everyone.

100% you can, but if you can get those products closer to home, why import them from across the world? There's a reason we don't buy tomatoes from Australia.

36 minutes ago, Enda said:

Yes, you might not know this but I'm always right 😁

You’re right on this.

(I used to be always right, then one day that nice @Xannpointed out that I was wrong about something or other and so I can’t say that any more).

The apparent problem with the EU was a lack of transparency from unelected bureaucrats 

Britain’s Brexit chief has refused to publish details of his plans for changes to the Northern Ireland protocol, despite having already shared them with the EU.

Lord Frost said the legal text – which opposition parties want to scrutinise – was not a “new stage or evolution in our position” and simply reflected the UK’s position set out earlier in the summer.

Behind paywall but you get the hypocrisy 

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some farmers complaining about our New Zealand trade deal, while a Kiwi news station does some laps over it:

I seem to remember a lot of farmers being very pro brexit because they were upset about subsidising others through CAP so frankly these guys can **** off. Reap what you sow my friends.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I seem to remember a lot of farmers being very pro brexit because they were upset about subsidising others through CAP so frankly these guys can **** off. Reap what you sow my friends.

I drove past many, many farmers fields with pro-brexit signs every 20m.

Even then I struggled to imagine how live could be better for them that it already was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I drove past many, many farmers fields with pro-brexit signs every 20m.

Even then I struggled to imagine how live could be better for them that it already was.

Yep I saw the same thing. It seemed (as in the fishing industry) to be driven primarily by good old anti-French xenophobia.

I just can’t have any sympathy for any of them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some farmers complaining about our New Zealand trade deal, while a Kiwi news station does some laps over it:

her problem there is the belief that when the consumer gets to the shelves one will be cheaper than the other...

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

her problem there is the belief that when the consumer gets to the shelves one will be cheaper than the other...

Yep, the supermarkets will just buy the cheapest they can and  charge the public the same price they do now. More money for the middle men. 

11 hours ago, ml1dch said:

The worst health crisis in a century, causing the entire world to shut down for nearly two years, just imagine how embarrassed you'd have to be if there were something twice as bad as that and you'd actually asked for it to happen. 

I can only assume that when people like JRM say it’ll take decades to see benefits post Brexit that it’s when we’ve rejoined the EU.

Its makes me so mad that (largely) intelligent people sold lies to the country that will make millions of people worse off for generations to come just so they could make a few quid.

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I can only assume that when people like JRM say it’ll take decades to see benefits post Brexit that it’s when we’ve rejoined the EU.

Its makes me so mad that (largely) intelligent people sold lies to the country that will make millions of people worse off for generations to come just so they could make a few quid.

Maybe, just maybe it's the realisation that this has happened will start to bring about changes to the way our political system is being run. 

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

Maybe, just maybe it's the realisation that this has happened will start to bring about changes to the way our political system is being run. 

I’d love it to be true but it won’t not for a while I think.

Too many people very vocally backed Boris and the Conservatives during Brexit to admit they made a mistake and things need to change.

You still see it now “I knew what I voted for” etc. Absolutely impossible to know what the vote was for in 2016 but some people are absolutely defiant they didn’t make a mistake and it’s going as they expected.

They’ll double down and keep backing the Tories to show how right they are.

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: these problems are all happening before the EU starts retaliating for breaching the agreements signed only last year. The EU has pretended to play happy families so far. Can’t see it lasting much longer.

(France announced sanctions on British fishermen last night.)

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Friendly reminder: these problems are all happening before the EU starts retaliating for breaching the agreements signed only last year. The EU has pretended to play happy families so far. Can’t see it lasting much longer.

(France announced sanctions on British fishermen last night.)

We haven't breached any agreement, have we?  The issue is French fisherman have to prove historical fishing in our waters to get a permit and there is a delay in granting permits and they also have difficulty proving they have fished in our waters? 

Might be the press pushing this agenda as cheap click bait. A British vessel was impounded for fishing illegally in French waters, which is standard practice. 

• Like 1

Â