The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

27 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Secondly, anyone else think Boris will simply walk early in the new year after ensuring this shit show to the benefit of his donors?

I think he has to own this until at least the summer, by then Gove will be sticking the knives in his back

36 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Questions......

I thought a motion was passed in parliament last year which ensured a "no deal" was off the table.

Unfortunately a bunch of morons elected a new parliament.  And that parliament changed that.

• Like 2

Can anyone recommend a decent British very dry white wine? I don't think I will be ae to afford my beloved Vina Sol in the new year (assuming any can get through the ports) 

Just now, sidcow said:

Can anyone recommend a decent British very dry white wine? I don't think I will be ae to afford my beloved Vina Sol in the new year (assuming any can get through the ports) 

You'll drink warm bitter like all true Brits, and like it.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Questions......

I thought a motion was passed in parliament last year which ensured a "no deal" was off the table.

That was when the UK was still a member of the EU, and Boris was huffing and puffing about leaving on Halloween. Parliament made Johnson delay actually exiting until Jan 2020.

The British Parliament, of course, can’t make the EU do anything.

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As a serious answer, I tried some of Astley Vineyard's wines last year at a local market and they were very pleasant.

Established in 1971, Astley Vineyard is one of the oldest vineyards in the UK.

Having changed hands in 2017, exciting times are ahead for the vineyard and its new owners, the Haywood family.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

As usual Jeremy Corbyn foretold this

To be fair, so did nearly every single person who campaigned for Remain and by campaigned I don't mean talked to the audience in a cupboard in Cleethorpes

1 minute ago, bickster said:

To be fair, so did nearly every single person who campaigned for Remain and by campaigned I don't mean talked to the audience in a cupboard in Cleethorpes

Well yep, it was hardly Nostradamus in this case. But he was still there saying those things when almost no-one else was. The official remain campaign was only offering rhetoric which could be written off as project fear while Corbyn correctly said it would be how the Tories approached leaving which would be the problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If only he foretold a clear coherent message way before the referendum. 

What was unclear or incoherent about what he was saying in his remain campaign?

Here's one of his remain speeches.

https://jeremycorbyn.org.uk/articles/jeremy-corbyn-my-speech-on-the-labour-case-to-vote-remain-in-the-eu-in-south-yorkshire/

It’s easy to blame people who come to this country, to blame the outsider, to blame bureaucrats in Brussels. It’s also very convenient for politicians too. If you’re blaming a scapegoat you’re not blaming the people with the real power, the corporate elite and the politicians in government who do its bidding.

Politicians certainly need to take responsibility, so let me make a start.

I mentioned the banking crash yes, that was the fault of bankers but the Conservative governments of Thatcher and Major scrapped financial regulations that would have prevented that crash and Labour failed to re-regulate. So blame our own governments, don’t blame the EU or immigrants.

His remain campaign ended up in 66% of Labour voters voting remain. How much of that is down to him or not is up for others to make their mind up about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darrenm said:

What was unclear or incoherent about what he was saying in his remain campaign?

Here's one of his remain speeches.

https://jeremycorbyn.org.uk/articles/jeremy-corbyn-my-speech-on-the-labour-case-to-vote-remain-in-the-eu-in-south-yorkshire/

His remain campaign ended up in 66% of Labour voters voting remain. How much of that is down to him or not is up for others to make their mind up about.

He dragged his feet, he was cajoled and it was not a clear and coherent message. Yes he got there in the end but Labour was absolutely not a remain party. Corbyns backing of Remain was described as lukewarm.  

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Â