The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

10 minutes ago, Enda said:

It’s because it’s all theatre. Russia has no problem killing people. They are not an ally.

In contrast, nobody believes the UK will actually go to war with France. It’s laughable. Child’s play. And thus a great opportunity for the impotent, overweight Tory MPs to pretend to be soldiers, without actually risking their sons.

image.jpeg.4cad24eb7151c6e6e867b3773e0752c7.jpeg

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

the theoretical chance of French trawlers in english waters causes tory MP’s to demand gunboats in the Channel to protect fish.

It's theoretical in the sense it hasn't happened yet, but it will (if there's no agreement). Then it will be real. Then what happens? The Foreign, illegal fishing is allowed to continue, or some steps are taken to stop it.

I mean it's absolute lunacy that we've got to this stage of things with Brexit, even with Bunter in charge. Yet here we are. To stop the nasty forins catching fish in our water illegally, we're going to need the Navy to impound a boat or two. Mad, but that's the "theoretical" actuality.

I mean the sensible thing of reaching some sort of agreement on worm drowning seems completely beyond both the Yurps and Bunter.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's theoretical in the sense it hasn't happened yet, but it will (if there's no agreement). Then it will be real. Then what happens? The Foreign, illegal fishing is allowed to continue, or some steps are taken to stop it.

I mean it's absolute lunacy that we've got to this stage of things with Brexit, even with Bunter in charge. Yet here we are. Top stop the nasty forins catching fish in our water illegally, we're going to need the Navy to impound a boat or two. Mad, but that's the "theoretical" actuality.

I mean the sensible thing of reaching some sort of agreement on worm drowning seems completely beyond both the Yurps and Bunter.

we have a proud history of cod wars

we lost 3:0 to Iceland, time to play the EU

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.da79541e439bd85f6da39aa1d9e81184.jpeg

The Times

Brexiteers have long hailed the “sea of opportunity” that awaits British fishermen and women after the UK leaves the EU — but now it has emerged that their boats will be monitored by a French company.

The business that won the tender to track UK fishing vessels wherever they operate, as well as foreign-licensed boats in British waters, is Collecte Localisation Satellites (CLS),
a French maritime surveillance provider.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

I mean it's absolute lunacy that we've got to this stage of things with Brexit, even with Bunter in charge. Yet here we are. To stop the nasty forins catching fish in our water illegally, we're going to need the Navy to impound a boat or two. Mad, but that's the "theoretical" actuality.

Yup. And then when a "solution" is found to stop them fishing, the French fishermen's next move is likely to be a blockade of French ports to prevent UK boats from docking. Not like they'll have much else to do.

I'm still 50% sure this is still just bluffing and he'll meekly concede, but if not then I'd be surprised if nobody loses their life in the Channel over this.

• Like 1

I'm just relieved that the government felt confident enough in post December 31st arrangements that they were able to give the contract to a company in the EU. Must be nice to have that level of clarity and confidence in what happens in 3 weeks

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I’m old enough to remember the Icelandic Cod Wars. Both countries had a naval presence. We had state of the art destroyers, much larger than the Icelandic gunboats. They simply crossed the sterns of our trawlers and cut their nets. £10,000 quids worth of gear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

I’m old enough to remember the Icelandic Cod Wars. Both countries had a naval presence. We had state of the art destroyers, much larger than the Icelandic gunboats. They simply crossed the sterns of our trawlers and cut their nets. £10,000 quids worth of gear. 

One cod wars one World Cup and two world wars, bring it on

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

One cod wars one World Cup and two world wars, bring it on

3 cod wars, Iceland won all three.

I believe they’ve also done ok in the football head to heads this current century.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think I can hear a penny dropping.

Thw realisation setting in the Brexit is not just about trying to punish “someone else”. The impact is going go impact is all.

61% voted leave in Sunderland

I mean, you have to feel dreadfully sorry for the 39%, but 61% is a pretty clear cut decision up there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

61% voted leave in Sunderland

I mean, you have to feel dreadfully sorry for the 39%, but 61% is a pretty clear cut decision up there.

I remember reading shortly after the vote that there is quite a lot of resentment in the area towards Nissan workers, going back years. That they are the elitist "good job" types, looking down on everyone else. Presumably nonsense, but your average chip-on-the-shoulder leaver isn't really known for their critical thinking. Or how a local economy functions.

So it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those Nissan workers are in that 39%.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I remember reading shortly after the vote that there is quite a lot of resentment in the area towards Nissan workers, going back years. That they are the elitist "good job" types, looking down on everyone else. Presumably nonsense, but your average chip-on-the-shoulder leaver isn't really known for their critical thinking. Or how a local economy functions.

So it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those Nissan workers are in that 39%.

Yeah, and that’s why we have to be careful when it’s too easy to look at the vote, see some town voted leave or tory or some other stupid decision and just condemn the lot of them.

• Like 2

Â